Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 4th of July, 2013, 12:45
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
New Game Coming Up: D&D 3.5, new theme

So, I've been looking to start a new game now that my life has calmed down considerably, and I've figured out a few tricks to get this one running smoother and more stably than some of my others. I don't have much on my plate at the moment, as I'm not a player in any games currently active, and I've got a fair bit of free time IRL these days, so I should be good to go on this one.

I got the basic idea for this game from a videogame I played a long time ago, and managed to get it working here.

THEMESONG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcHX-14rOhk

Here's the theme: your characters will be jointly the leaders of a competition team/school of gladiators competing in the major sport on the planet, traveling from nation to nation and continent to continent to win tournaments and win the high games. However, your characters will not primarily be fighting in the games themselves, but be focusing on leading your gladiators, recruiting gladiators and training them, organizing them, making decisions on what games to compete in, and dealing with a plot line focused on events taking place outside the coliseum. Your characters may compete in the games themselves if you desire.

It will feature combat, but combat will be rarer than most games. I'm running this game IRL at the moment, so I've got some good ideas for getting to work in PBP. The games themselves will be run with a quick and dirty combat system where I plug numbers into a program my friend wrote and it spits out who wins based on various variables. Occasionally we'll do out a gladiatorial fight the real way, but most of the actual real combat will be outside of the games.

The game will primarily be focused on diplomacy, intrigue, managing and recruiting gladiators, and so forth.

There are house rules in place to compensate for some of 3.5's failures, namely buffs to underpowered classes like the fighter, rogue and monk.

Let me know if there's any interest in this. Currently looking at level 5 characters to start with, but that might change if people express a desire to go lower or higher. Most resources are available.

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 4th of July, 2013 at 12:49.
Unread 4th of July, 2013, 13:50
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
I'm intrigued. The idea of running a program to determine a winner is interesting. Would the outcomes change with multiple runs of the program (the way it does for that History Channel program that pits fighters of different eras), or would it be a one and done answer? That doesn't have any bearing on my interest, just a question in general.

I think I could get behind a social rogue or cleric or something like that. I'll see what I can make as I don't think I have many 3.5 resources left to me other than the SRD (my books are in storage), but I'm sure that won't be much of a hindrance, really.
Unread 4th of July, 2013, 23:23
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #7805
Sounds pretty unique...color me interested. Would there be a buy/sell option for your gladiators? Sounds a bit like fantasy football Colosseum edition.
Unread 5th of July, 2013, 03:08
Linklegacy77

The program runs the simulation 31 times automatically, and spits out the one that wins more often. 30 is statistically significant enough for this to work, although I'd prefer to run it more than that if it was something super important.

You'd be able to hire and expel gladiators from your school, and engage with trades with other schools, as well as sell contracts from other schools and so forth.

Your school will have a fund pool, and you'll need to pay upkeep for your gladiators and pay their salary and so forth, as well as purchase them new equipment etc. The program I'm running has about 600 potential variables (I don't usually use more than 30 at a time, but the potential option for basically everything your character can or will have is there).

You can negotiate terms with gladiators (like requiring that they equip themselves, or haggling for price or contract length), and so on and so forth. Be creative with it.

The gladiatorial arena has it's own special rules, which I'll make sure you guys are aware of. Things like banned spells (no instant death spells or spells that utterly destroy a target like disintegrate) and abilities (death attack used for instant kill, paralysis attack is okay), etc. Healers are present around the arena, and each arena has a minor artifact that projects a field that prevents combatants from dropping below -5 hit points, so long as they sign a contract before the battle with the games commissioner who runs the arena. The arena administration will dispel all buffs from all competitors before the match begins.

Various things you guys as the heads of your Gladiatorial School do will give bonuses or penalties to your gladiators in each match, like hyping up the crowd for your team before the match, or researching your opponents and informing your gladiators, or even underhanded things like paying off the administrators to not dispel your buffs upon entering the arena or to inform you of where traps are located or to place traps on the field at certain locations.

Different matches will have different rules and restrictions. One league might have a requirement that all gladiators use only mundane equipment and might ban spellcasters or their psionic equivalent. Another might be spellcaster only.

Each of your gladiators will have a short hand stat sheet provided for you with the basic relevant stats for them, along with special ability keywords that the program will use. If you get into an a combat situation with your gladiator, I'll draw up a full NPC stat sheet for it, I've gotten pretty good at doing those quickly =p.

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 5th of July, 2013 at 03:14.
Unread 5th of July, 2013, 03:56
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

Sounds very interesting and only obscurely related to D&D 3.5 lol but still interested
Unread 5th of July, 2013, 04:00
Linklegacy77

There will be a fair bit of normal D&D stuff going on for you guys, IRL this game actually does play out the gladiator battles, but you can't really do that in PBP, it would just take too much time, thus the program.
Unread 5th of July, 2013, 04:02
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

So on the D&D side of things what are character stats going to look like? level, classes, etc.?
Unread 6th of July, 2013, 06:33
Linklegacy77

Normal characters all around, there are simply going to be an alternative set of shorthand stats for the purpose of the program for gladiatorial fights so we don't get bogged down doing them out normally in PBP.
Unread 7th of July, 2013, 01:45
Linklegacy77

Still need a couple more.
Unread 7th of July, 2013, 03:04
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Member: #7768
I'm intrigued, as well. It seems like Dungeons and Dragons, Manager Mode.
To the Arena! To the Death!
Unread 7th of July, 2013, 05:11
Linklegacy77

Sort of, except that you'll still wind up doing some adventuring and questing while doing the managing. Your overall goal is to improve your team as much as possible, and most of your questing and missions will be towards that end.
Unread 7th of July, 2013, 06:23
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

PLEASE tell me the gladiators will not be allowed to take Diehard...or nerf it hard! Especially if the gladiator can't drop below -5.
Unread 7th of July, 2013, 07:11
Linklegacy77

Diehard isn't banned but it doesn't function in gladiatorial matches.
Unread 7th of July, 2013, 08:16
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

I was just imagining an endless fight of mediocre proportions.
Unread 7th of July, 2013, 12:30
Linklegacy77

Lol, nah, I didn't mention all the rules, but the healers standing by at the arenas have a constant modified deathwatch spell active on all competitors, and anyone who drops below 0 hp is automatically required to leave, regardless of active effects that would allow them to keep going (like Deathless Frenzy for a frenzied berserker).
Unread 7th of July, 2013, 12:35
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

I want this game to start NOOOOOWWW!
Unread 8th of July, 2013, 00:35
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Captain - what did you have in mind for a character type? Like I said, I was thinking of a social rogue, someone who's not much of a fighter, really. Maybe some bard splashed in.
Unread 8th of July, 2013, 03:02
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

I'm, personally, thinking a Melee combatant of some sort - probably a Warblade - it has been a long time since I've played one, though if nobody's going the Arcane route, I can build one in more of a pure power direction than the last one I built (mostly just to differentiate him from Tricks, fun as he was).

Last edited by Krypton; 8th of July, 2013 at 03:07.
Unread 8th of July, 2013, 06:58
Linklegacy77

Don't make up your mind for sure until you've seen the houserules we'll be playing with.

Looking for 1-2 more players to get this running, then I'll start a forum and get the material up.
Unread 8th of July, 2013, 08:41
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

Originally Posted by Mercutio # Captain - what did you have in mind for a character type? Like I said, I was thinking of a social rogue, someone who's not much of a fighter, really. Maybe some bard splashed in.
Depends mostly on what books will be allowed and what our main role will be. If we are allowed certain classes and features I might end up as a charm spamming beguiling influencing Cha-lock with some other choice classes/skills/spells to make certain I have a nice group of gladiators and trainers to work with so I wouldn't need to step into the ring myself.
Unread 8th of July, 2013, 09:57
Linklegacy77

Just going off the top of my head (I don't have my notes in front of me), Fighters, Monks, Rogues, Rangers, Paladins, Swashbucklers, Ninjas, Samurai, Hexblades, Spellthiefs, Scouts, Bards, Knights and Soulknives all receive a buff of some kind.
Unread 9th of July, 2013, 08:36
Linklegacy77

You know, on second thought, we can probably play this with 3. I'll request a forum soon.
Unread 9th of July, 2013, 10:39
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Unless one of the buffs to another of the melee classes sways me, I'm thinking I'll play a Swordsage. I figure he's either the current or past school champion.
Unread 9th of July, 2013, 11:17
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Member: #8160
I am literally playing Gladius right now. I am reading this thread on my phone during a loading screen.

I'd love to join.
Unread 9th of July, 2013, 11:59
Linklegacy77

Alright, you're in, we've got 4. I'll request a thread.