Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > hedgeknight's Games > The Darnathian Prophecies > Finished Adventures

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 11th of July, 2006, 21:15
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.40 per day)
Post Scenario 2

Scenario 2 – Bored to…Death?

This has to be the most boring job ever!
You think to yourself as you plod along on the Long Road. When you signed on for guard duty in Red Larch you were hoping for some excitement, some adventure on the way to Triboar. It’s been less than a week and you’re already thinking about ditching this job in Westbridge, should you ever make it there before you die of old age.
The wagons you are guarding are moving so slow that you really don’t need to ride; you can walk and keep up. And the weather isn’t helping either. Summer is ending with a vengeance – humid days filled with biting flies and long nights with no campfire…except for the scathing tongue of the trail boss. Tripp Ketcham is his name and he’s a sour one. “Weaned on a sow’s tit” is what you’ve heard more than once from others in the wagon train. And it didn’t take you long to believe it – the man never has a kind word for anyone.

Boss Ketcham’s right hand man, Marlowe, a seasoned veteran of many trips up and down the Long Road, is a little nicer. At least he greets you in the morning and bids you goodnight in the evening. He even takes a share of the watch with the five of you who hired on for the trip. Why Ketcham hired five of you to guard a bunch of wagons loaded with ale and beer is beyond your understanding!
“Rare cargo, it is!” he had said when he recruited you. Boring cargo is more like it! Boring cargo, boring wagons, and boring company. Can a person die of boredom? You wonder. But on the fourth day out of Red Larch, the boring duty of being a guard for a few beer wagons suddenly gets interesting.

It is near midday when you hear the unmistakable sounds of battle – steel ringing on steel, battle cries, the screams of the dying – all coming from the hills off to your left, no more than 50 yards from the road.
“Keep moving! Keep moving!” Boss Ketcham yells, attempting to dissuade you from investigating. “It’s none of our business!”
Torn between investigating and following orders, you look at each other for direction and then turn to Marlowe. The man is obviously conflicted too. “Boss,” he begins, but Ketcham won’t hear him.
“I told you to move on, godsdammit!” he explodes. “This is none of our…ARGGH!”
His words are cut off by a green-fletched arrow that buries in his chest! He topples from his horse and hits the ground hard, unmoving.
“Hells bells!” Marlowe swears as another arrow sticks in the side of the lead wagon. Screams erupt from just over the hill – screams that sound as if they are from the mouths of children.

“Get Ketcham under cover!” Marlowe shouts to the wagon drivers, drawing his sword. Then he looks at you. “The rest of you follow me!” he orders, spurring his horse forward. You hesitate for only a few seconds before obeying and following along. Grateful for the exercise, your horses burst into a gallop and climb the low-lying hill with ease.
Another arrow sails by your head just as you top the hill. You rein in sharply, taken back by what you see. (See attached map)

In a shallow depression between the hills and the woods, a battle rages – Hobgoblins vs. Wood Elves – both sides have taken losses; their dead are spread out among the trees and grasses. The Hobgoblins have formed a circle of steel and the Wood Elves are assaulting them with arrows. To the north of the main group of Hobgoblins is an area where the grasses and vines look to be alive! In fact, four Wood Elves struggle to free themselves from the tangles and choking foliage.

The screams are coming from a spot just below the rise of the hill where you watch from horseback. A group of Hobgoblin females and children is desperately trying to escape a squad of Wood Elves. Four females are protecting the children – two in the rear fighting off the Elves with javelins and rocks, while the other two lead the children up the hill; the bodies of two other females lie still near the bottom of the hill.

Suddenly, the children, who are no more than ten feet from the top of the hill, see you. They freeze in their tracks, not knowing what to do. The two females pushing them along see you too, and for a brief second, a flash of relief almost washes over their faces. Then, a chilling scream shakes your nerves and all eyes look to see that one of the females protecting the rear has been caught. One Elf has her by the hair; she kicks and struggles against him. Another Elf swiftly draws a knife across her throat, slicing it open from ear to ear.

The children begin screaming and crying, their faces contorted in fear. One of the Hobgoblin females looks up at you as arrows sizzle all around, her eyes pleading. “H-help…us! Pl-please!” she manages to say in broken Common.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OOC: You may post your characters in the "Characters for Scenario 2" thread.
Good luck.
-g-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long Road Battle Map 1.JPG (35.6 KB, 15 views)
  #2  
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 21:32
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.40 per day)
Lightbulb

Okay fellers, it's time to rock and roll! Here's what I want you to do:

Read the scenario again and take a real good look at the attached map. If you can't see the map, let me know and I'll post it again or email it to you.

I need actions from all of you and I need 2 to 3 rounds of actions, not just one round. The Hobgbolin female has asked for your help - will you help them? If so, how?

Don't worry about acting as a group! You are five individuals who are on guard duty and find yourselves in the midst of an attack. You really don't have a lot of time to think about it. You must act.

Like I said, give me two to three rounds of action. For example, I charge a wood elf and attack with my axe (list helpful combat stats ). If the elf dies, I attack another one. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE IN LIGHT OF THE MAP. The more info you give me the better I can detail it in the first battle post.

Any questions? If so, please post them in the OOC.
I plan to post the first battle post no later than tonight - provided I hear from all of you. If not, then on Friday.
Thanks fellers!
-g-

Last edited by hedgeknight; 14th of July, 2006 at 05:40.
  #3  
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 00:18
Biffoniacus Furious's Avatar
Biffoniacus Furious
Unanimated Corpse

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1752
Posts: 15 (0.00 per day)
OoC: I'm assuming we're close enough to see that the elves are the ones using the green arrows which killed our bossman, eh?

With his bow already in hand, Chet draws and looses several of his brown-feathered arrows in rapid succession. He skillfully guides each one toward an elven target, muttering something about superior craftsmanship. He then spurs his mount forward, riding in a wide circle around the battle while still firing.

Full-attack with rapid shot, attacking the elves closest to the children first. He'll focus on one target until it drops, then move to another. He'll direct his mount to single-move each round, east then north around the battle, directing it with his knees while firing, still using rapid shot. Once his movement takes him halfway to the other hill, he'll turn and circle back the way he came, still firing on the elves. Note that there are no penalties for firing from a mount which is only single-moving. If anyone shoots back, he'll react to use his mount for cover, righting himself in time to continue attacking the next round.
  #4  
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 04:19
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.37 per day)
"Leave the women and children alone, there’s men here for you to fight if you have the stomach"

Mirko draws his great sword and moves to put himself in between the women/children and the elves

he will defend the woman and child, old his action his intention is to protect them not necessarily be drawn in to a fight he knows nothing about,

"If you want to fight, fight the men down there, if you want to die, try to hurt the woman and children, you’ll get your wish"

if the elves move forward then Mirko will attack with his great sword going in to rage if the elves move in to the melee,

melee in rage
Great Sword (to hit+7,damage 2d6+9, 19-20/x2)
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus

Last edited by Belkregos; 14th of July, 2006 at 08:25.
  #5  
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 05:57
Andrew
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1786
Posts: 48 (0.01 per day)
Not being one of many words, Patton just follows the lead of his party and prepares for battle. "Lets get to work Breezewind," he utters to his faithful mount, the large horse snorts a response that looks encouraging.

Holding up his shortspear, he pulls his arm back to hurl it. He waits a moment for it to lineup with a target before throwing it with all his strength, launching it at a nearby elf.

Hen then draws a club from his belt and bellows a battle cry as loud as possible. Breezewind kicks his front legs into the air in excitement and Patton cries out "DEATH TO YOU ALL!!!" With that he gives Breezewind a swift kick and the heavy horse goes charging into battle.

As he approaches his enemy, he takes a swing with his club before continuing past him.

ACTIONS:
1) Throw shortspear at the nearest wood elf [+4 to hit, 1d6+3/x2/piercing damage, 20' range increment]
2) Commence Ride-By Attack on one of the elves near the hobgoblin children (don't care which one) [+5 to hit {charging}, 1d6+3/x2/bludgeoning damage, {AC drops to 18 until my next action}], full charge will move me 100 feet or so, so I'll base my next actions on where I end up on the map after my charge lol
  #6  
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 08:11
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
"May the deities of old help me and my allies in this tough time," Veit mutters to himself. All his allies feel slightly invigorated, and Veit moves the mount between a wood elf and a hobgoblin. "I dislike them as much as you, but there is NO need to attack the women and children." He says while dismounting to the side of wood elf. "They can't fight back. Leave them alone." IF the wood elf shows no signs of stopping, Veit attacks, using his sheild to protect himself.

OOC: Cast bless. Move east then north, placing myself between the wood elf that is almost upon the hobgoblin. Dismount. IF the wood elf shows no signs of stopping, attack with morningstar(+3 melee, d8+3 damage).
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #7  
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 22:30
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.40 per day)
Quick Post 1

Scenario 2 – Quick Post 1: In the Thick of Things

Initiative Order:
Chet 19; Wood Elves 19; Nazareth 14; Veit 13; Marlowe 11; Mirko 9; Patton 7; Hobgoblins 3

With his bow already in hand, Chet draws and looses a brown-feathered arrow, followed rapidly by a second one, directly at the nearest Elf, muttering something about superior craftsmanship. Regardless, both shafts fly wide of their mark. Disappointed, Chet spurs his mount forward while drawing another arrow.

Seeing the newcomers readying for attack, the Wood Elves call to each other and the ones nearest the Hobgoblin females redirect their attacks. An arrow sizzles over Chet’s head, but he pays it no mind. Then two Wood Elves leap at his horse slashing at its legs. The first Elf rakes the horse’s chest (D5) and the second Elf delivers a wicked cut to both of its front legs (D10). Chet’s horse stumbles, but he manages to stay in the saddle and keep the horse from going down. But he knows he’s in trouble.
He draws and fires twice at point blank range, but the gods are against him and he misses yet again. The Elves slash at his horse and one of them succeeds in slicing its throat (D4) and bringing it down. Chet leaps from the saddle to avoid getting crushed by his mount. The two Elves smile and move in for the kill.

The other Elves attacking the females wait to see what the other newcomers will do, but a couple of their companions within bowshot take aim and fire. An arrow narrowly misses Nazareth’s head and a second one clips the top of Mirko’s shoulder, drawing blood (D1). This only makes the barbarian angry.
"Leave the women and children alone!” Mirko yells, echoing Veit. “There are men here for you to fight if you have the stomach!" Mirko draws his great sword and begins to descend the hill. He looks at the two Elves and the dead Hobgoblin female lying at their feet. "If you want to fight, fight the men down there, if you want to die, try to hurt the woman and children, you’ll get your wish."

As Mirko descends the hill, Veit moves past him, chanting softly. "May the deities of old help me and my allies in this tough time," Veit mutters to himself. All his allies feel slightly invigorated, and Veit directs his mount between a wood elf and a hobgoblin. "I dislike them as much as you, but there is NO need to attack the women and children." He says while dismounting to the side of wood elf. "They can't fight back. Leave them alone."
One of the Wood Elves spits on the ground at Veit’s feet. “You come here to die too, eh Dwarf? Then so be it!” And the Elves attack!
Veit sees the attack coming and lifts his shield, turning aside the scimitar aimed for his head. He counters with his morningstar, but the nimble Elf dodges the attack and comes back in for more. The Elf attacks again, and again Veit blocks it. Veit counters and again the Elf dodges, giving no ground.

Beside the dwarf, Mirko roars as he goes into a rage. His Wood Elf attacker pays him no mind and slashes at him, cutting him in the chest (D2). This only makes Mirko angrier and he falls upon the Elf with his great sword, cleaving the Elf’s sword arm completely off and slicing its chest open in a wide bloody arc! (D14)


Marlowe watches the battle and shakes his head. "This ain't our fight," he says to Nazareth and Patton who sit stoicly beside him...watching. But Patton has already made up his mind.
Not being one of many words, Patton just follows the lead of his party and prepares for battle. "Let’s get to work Breezewind," he utters to his faithful mount, the large horse snorts a response that looks encouraging. Holding up his shortspear, he pulls his arm back to hurl it. He waits a moment for it to lineup with a target before throwing it with all his strength, launching it at a nearby elf. The shortspear flies over the head of his target, but he doesn’t care…until a green-fletched arrow glances off his shoulder, stinging him but doing no real damage.
He then draws a club from his belt and bellows a battle cry as loud as possible. Breezewind kicks his front legs into the air in excitement and Patton cries out "DEATH TO YOU ALL!!!" With that he gives Breezewind a swift kick and the heavy horse goes charging into battle. Patton heads straight toward a Wood Elf who is nocking another arrow. As he passes, Patton swings his club and takes most of the Elf’s head off (D8).
His charge takes him down into the heart of the battle where he gets an up close and personal view of things.

The Wood Elves definitely have the advantage and the Hobgoblins are probably not going to survive without assistance. An arrow sticks in his shield quivering and he turns toward the trees to see a Wood Elf nocking another shaft.

“Ye better git moving!” a raspy voice yells from within the circle of Hobgoblins. “Else these damned Elves are gonna pin cushion ye!”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nice first post fellers! Take a look at the map, note your positions, and give me another 2 to 3 rounds of actions. I would like to post late tonight if possible.

STATS:

Chet - full hp; on the ground; horse dead nearby, facing two Elves

Mirko - down 3 hp; and raging!

Patton - full hp and in the thick of things!

Viet - full hp and holding his own against an Elf

Nazareth - full hp and picking his nose
Marlowe - much the same

Casualties: Two Wood Elves and Chet's horse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long Road Battle Map 2.JPG (39.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by hedgeknight; 14th of July, 2006 at 23:03.
  #8  
Unread 15th of July, 2006, 01:09
Andrew
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1786
Posts: 48 (0.01 per day)
OOC: Why didn't any of the hobgoblins take action? There's that cluster of them in the middle of the field that are just standing around, wouldn't they be fighting back?

"Well done Breeze," he says as he pets his mount gently, "But there is still much more to be done!"

He shouts another battle cry as his mount charges the elf that shot at him.


ACTIONS:
1) Charge the elf that fired at me (not Ride By, standard charge action). I'll use a free action to direct my horse to attack as well.
......If the elf dies, then charge the next closest elf and do the same
......If the elf lives, remain in melee range and keep swinging until he's dead
Regardless of the outcome, direct Breezewind to attack whoever I'm attacking that round.
......If Breezewind is attacked at all, use Mounted Combat as needed (Ride +8)

My attack: +6 {charge, bless}, 1d6+4/x2/bludgeoning
Breezewind +2 {charge, bless}, 1d6+2 {hoof}
Breezewind +0/+0 {full attack, bless}, 1d6+2 {hooves}
Breezewind is "Trained for Purpose: Combat Riding", so the DC to make him attack when I attack is 10 (shouldn't be hard since I have +8 to riding lol).
  #9  
Unread 15th of July, 2006, 04:47
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.37 per day)
mirko will stay in melee with the elves that attacked the woman, moving to the closest one after the one h was fighting goes down
no words or threats, just the grim efficient reality of his blade
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #10  
Unread 15th of July, 2006, 10:37
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
Veit continues to fight off the wood elf. He hollers over his shoulder to the hobgoblin women and children, "Get out of here!".

OOC: Continue fighting wood elf until it falls. Move to next closest one when it does, and attack it.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #11  
Unread 15th of July, 2006, 22:09
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.40 per day)
Quick Post 2

Scenario 2 - Quick Post 2: Bleeding Out

Initiative Order:
Chet 19; Wood Elves 19; Nazareth 14; Veit 13; Marlowe 11; Mirko 9; Patton 7; Hobgoblins 3

Seeing two of their comrades cut down, the Elves become incensed and attack with a fury unlike anything you’ve seen before. While Chet tries to get his bearings on the ground, his two foes attack. He manages to deflect one of their swords with his buckler, but the other slips a scimitar through his armor and stabs him deep (D7).

“Let’s get in the fight, boy!” Marlowe growls, spurring his mount forward, but Nazareth appears not to hear him. While the indecisive Half-Orc surveys the battle, he is unaware of death creeping upon him. When he hears the snarl behind him, he half turns just as 100 lbs of cat pounces upon him.
He screams in shock as the mountain lion rakes him across the back (D4). And as Nazareth summons his attack, the lion digs its fangs into the side of his neck and crushes his windpipe, its sharp teeth piercing his jugular (D7). Nazareth feels the strain on his heart and his eyes glaze over as the lion rips and tears him.

Marlowe charges one of the Elves near the bottom of the hill and only grunts when the Elf drills him with an arrow to the gut (D6). The old warrior spurs his horse on and rides the Elf down, flinging him aside. But another Elf fires and hits the man in the chest and Marlowe falls from the saddle (D5). He hits the ground hard, but staggers to his feet, his sword still in his hand. “Did ye think a couple of arrows would stop Marlowe the Mad? Ye pointy-eared bastards!” he roars and charges the Elf that shot him.

"Well done Breeze," Patton says as he pets his mount gently, "But there is still much more to be done!" And sure enough, two arrows come sailing at him from Elves in the trees. One misses him high, but the second cuts a bloody furrow on Breeze’s flank (D3). This infuriates Patton Spellwhistler and he shouts another battle cry as his mount charges the Elf that shot him.
Seeing the thundering horse and the intent on the face of his foe, the Elf breaks toward his companion and Patton bashes him in the back with his club, sending the Elf sprawling (D7). The other Elf draws steel and charges, leaping at Patton and slicing him across the chest (D7). Patton cries out in agony and barely manages to dodge the dagger attack of the same Elf.

“You die for interfering, human!” The Wood Elven ranger says, circling Patton and Breeze as his companion gets to his feet.
“Not today!” Patton shouts, kicking Breeze who charges and runs over the wounded Elf, crushing his back and skull.
When Patton wheels Breeze around, he sees a lone Hobgoblin running toward him and the Elf. The Elf senses the Hobgoblin too and spits at Patton as he gives a cry of battle and leaps at the Hobgoblin.
He also notices that the other Hobgoblins have broken their ring of steel and are fighting the Elves toe to toe. All except what looks like an aged Hobgoblin who stands where he was earlier, one young Hobgoblin warrior guarding him.

“Get out of here!” Veit hollers over his shoulder as he tries not to get killed by his Elven foe. The Elf is quick and when he slashes Veit’s side with his scimitar (D5), Veit can’t help but admire him. But that don’t stop him from bringing his morningstar around and smashing the Elf in the side of the head, taking him down (D6).
Seeing Chet in trouble, Veit charges one of the Elves and attacks from behind. The Elf turns too late and Veit breaks several of his ribs and almost knocks him down…almost. “Don’t’ just stand there and let them kill you!” Veit roars at Chet. “Do something!”

Mirko continues to do what he does best. As an Elf charges him, crying for blood, Mirko waits and blocks the Elf’s attack. He then spins and cuts the Elf down, the great sword gutting his foe and leaving him in a gory mess in the grass (D11).

Mirko turns to find another foe and hears the children screaming and pointing at the top of the hill. The mountain lion looks up at them, its mouth gory with Nazareth’s blood, and growls. Mirko growls too and charges.
The lion leaps from the top of the hill and the barbarian meets it with steel. The lion is quicker and nearly knocks Mirko down, clawing and biting at his face. With a grunt, Mirko slings the cat off him and chops at it with his great sword, but misses. The cat snarls at him and paces, looking for an opening.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stats:
Chet - down 7 hp; on the ground; horse dead nearby, facing an Elf

Mirko - down 3 hp; and facing a mountain lion!


Patton - down 7 hp and still in the thick of things!

Viet - down 5 hp and holding his own against an Elf

Nazareth - dead as a doornail

Marlowe - down 11 and barely standing

Whoohoo! How do you like dem apples fellers? It's getting bloody now - give me 2-3 rounds of actions and we'll finish this up tomorrow.
-g-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long Road Battle Map 3.JPG (40.4 KB, 4 views)
  #12  
Unread 16th of July, 2006, 05:39
Biffoniacus Furious's Avatar
Biffoniacus Furious
Unanimated Corpse

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1752
Posts: 15 (0.00 per day)
Regaining his balance Chet grabs the axe from his belt as he parries a sword with his buckler, still clutching his bow. "Heartless butchers!" he shouts angrily as he swings into his distracted foe, quickly sidestepping to the dwarf's side in time to avoid the other elf's attack. "Only a coward would bully children when there's a battle to be fought a few steps away!"

OoC: This is assuming I'm not prone; see the OoC thread for why.
round 1: draw his battleaxe, ready an action to attack the flanked elf and 5' adjust sw, intending to drop the one before he acts and cause the other to swing into an empty square.
round 2+: attack the other elf, adjusting to flank if it won't provoke AoOs; once those two elves are dead, he'll sheathe his axe and begin firing on the lion, if possible moving to place obstacles between it and himself each round so it can't charge.

Last edited by Biffoniacus Furious; 16th of July, 2006 at 05:50.
  #13  
Unread 16th of July, 2006, 09:27
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.37 per day)
Mirko tries to move to the closest ally while fighting the mountain lion,
if the movement puts any of the children in greater danger he will not do it otherwise he moves concentrating his attack on the mountain lion and using the feat power attack (-1 to hit +2 damage)
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #14  
Unread 16th of July, 2006, 12:32
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
Veit continues assualting the elves, trying to make enough room between them and the hobgoblins for them to get away. I'm a bigger threat, stay with me.... He thinks, swinging his morningstar yet again. He hears Mirko in intese combat with a beast of some sort, and yells to the man. "Can you handle that?"

OOC: Keep fighting the flanked elf until it drops. Take a quick glance at Mirko to see how he's fareing, and move to help engage the lion IF he's taken more damage than he's dealt. IF not moving to assist Mirko, Veit continues to help Chet fight off the elves.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #15  
Unread 16th of July, 2006, 21:50
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.40 per day)
Quick Post 3

Scenario 2 – Quick Post 3: Survival of the Fittest

Initiative Order:
Chet 19; Wood Elves 19; Veit 13; Marlowe 11; Mirko 9; Patton 7; Hobgoblins 3

Regaining his balance Chet grabs the axe from his belt as he parries a sword with his buckler, still clutching his bow. "Heartless butchers!" he shouts angrily as he swings into his distracted foe. The axe catches the Elf in the side, breaking ribs and collapsing a lung (D9), dropping him to his knees. The Elf’s eyes roll back into his head and he mutters something before falling on his face in the grass.
Chet quickly sidesteps to the dwarf's side in time to avoid the other elf's attack. "Only a coward would bully children when there's a battle to be fought a few steps away!" he says, but he doesn’t have to worry, because the other Elf is intent upon killing Veit.

Veit continues assaulting the Elf, trying to make enough room between him and the hobgoblins for them to get away. I'm a bigger threat, stay with me.... He thinks, and the Elf obliges. The wounded Elf fighting Veit seethes with anger as he turns to face the Dwarf. “Today I will slice off your nuts and feed ‘em to the dogs…if they will have them!” he spits as he attacks, slashing Veit across the chest (D4) with his scimitar.
“Arggh!” Veit cries and steps in, bringing his morningstar down and around in an upward arc. “Not today, boy!” he growls as he smashes the Elf under the chin. (D7) The force of the blow lifts the Elf off his feet and flings him on his back. When he lands, he doesn’t move.

Knowing that moving toward his allies will put the children in greater danger; Mirko grits his teeth and with a savage howl, attacks the mountain lion with a bestial furor! The lion responds in kind and the two combatants claw and tear at one another, each intent on the kill. For several seconds, the lion and the barbarian swipe and claw at one another to no avail. Nearby, Veit hears Mirko in intense combat and yells to the man. "Can you handle that?"


“Damn straight!” Mirko responds, just as the lion leaps again. This time the beast protector of the Wood Elves gains hold in Mirko’s flesh, ripping and tearing with both claws (D3 + D3 = D6). Mirko cries out in pain and the mountain lion goes for the kill biting the barbarian in the neck and shoulder (D5).
Blood pumps through the wounds and when Mirko smells his own blood, his rage boils over! Heaving the lion off of him, Mirko, barely able to stand, brings his great sword around and as the lion leaps at him again, he cleaves it nearly in two with a mighty swing (D20)!
“Told you…I-I could handle it,” he mutters falling back against the hillside. Almost immediately, he is swarmed by three of the Hobgoblin children, all jumping and whooping in delight. Others tentatively approach Veit and Chet and the warriors realize that they have won the day!
Looking around the battlefield would turn the stomach of most folks for it appears as if a massacre has taken place. Elves and Hobgoblins lie sprawled everywhere. Blood stains the beautiful summer grasses and the crows are already gathering in the trees expecting a feast.
Patton watched in awe as the two leaders fought. The Wood Elf was certainly impressive, weaving his steel blades into a dance that would distract and kill most men. But the Hobgoblin leader saw through the display and even thought he took a deep cut to his side, he killed the Elf swiftly with two massive strokes of his bastard sword. Suffering from a dozen other wounds and limping from an arrow wound to the thigh, the Hobgoblin leader glanced at Patton and dismissed him, then turned to watch his men set fire to the entangled Elves; he looked back to see how Patton reacted to the smell of burned flesh before joining his comrades.

Marlowe came staggering up to Veit and Chet, slapping the Fletcher on the back. “Well done, lad, well done! Tymora’s Teats! We sure gave ‘em a good fight, eh?”
“That we did,” Chet replies and helps Marlowe sit down before he falls down.

While the other Hobgoblins check the dead, an aged figure walks toward you with the help of a long, gnarled staff. He looks in fairly good health until he gets closer and you can see that he is blind. The Hobgoblin leader walks slightly behind him, gently holding onto his other arm.
As the hobgoblins approach, it is quite evident that they are bone-tired. Hobgoblins are known for following a strict code and usually take great pride in their possessions, keeping them cleaned and keeping themselves well-groomed. Miles of dirt and mud splotch their boots and cloaks and they look like they are about to drop over. But, the hobgoblins hold their heads high as they walk up to you.
The aged Hobgoblin looks to be a shaman from the detail of his clothing and strange runic tattoos up and down his hairy arms. His eyeless gaze sweeps over all of you, as he smacks his lips together, grinning. He chuckles to himself when he "looks" at Veit, unflinching at the dwarf’s glare hatred for an ancient enemy.
The leader indeed appears to be a mighty fighter. His arms and neck are corded with muscle and he stands well over six feet tall. He holds a bloody bastard sword in his right hand, and a basilard (punching dagger) is strapped to his chest. He appears tense and uncomfortable, but nevertheless, he stands before you. He clears his throat and gives a slight bow of his head, claps his left fist to his heart, and says (in perfect Common), "Karr the Bold, son of Darstag, son of Broud, Chief of the Brokenswords, offers greetings to you warriors. My advisor and mentor," Karr points to the shaman, "Deerstone the Ageless likewise offers you greetings of…peace."

The proud Karr obviously struggles with the world “peace” but awaits your reply as Deerstone the Ageless continues to smile and look you over with his blind eyes.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stats:

Chet - down 7 hp;

Mirko - down 14 hp;


Patton - down 7 hp;

Viet - down 9 hp;

Nazareth - dead as a doornail

Marlowe - down 11 and still standing

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well fellers, the combat is over...or is it? And now, you've a chance to do some roleplaying. Post your actions - your response and/or replies to the Hobgoblins. And we'll go from there.

A couple of posts should finish up this scenario quite nicely.
-g-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long Road Battle Map 4.JPG (42.0 KB, 4 views)
  #16  
Unread 17th of July, 2006, 09:45
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
"If I didn't beleive in killing the innocent," Veit motions toward the women and children, "you would be dead, or closer to it. I do not wish to do any more fighting now, and thus we have a truce." He then walks over to the weary Mirko, closes his eyes, and mutters a few words. "You fight quite well, sir. How do you feel?"

OOC: Channel sheild of faith for cure light wounds on Mirko(d8+1).
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #17  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 01:32
Andrew
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1786
Posts: 48 (0.01 per day)
EDITED: I misread the previous posts, bah! lol

Last edited by Andrew; 18th of July, 2006 at 09:00.
  #18  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 02:58
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.37 per day)
Mirko nods at the Hobgoblins words,

It was your fight, and I believe it is still not reach its end, the elves will come back,
it is a noble cause to defend ones kin,
I hope your children grow up strong

with that Mirko steps back

Thank you Veit,
a strong cause gives a man courage, I’ll survive
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #19  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 09:28
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.40 per day)
Scenario 2 – Quick Post 4: An Unusual Request

"If I didn't believe in killing the innocent," Veit motions toward the women and children, "you would be dead, or closer to it. I do not wish to do any more fighting now, and thus we have a truce."
Karr glares at the Dwarf and takes a step forward, but Deerstone lays a wrinkled hand on his leader’s arm. The shaman turns his blind gaze to Veit and Mirko and Chet. “I sense goodness in each of ye,” he says, his voice quavering with age. “And I thank ye fer yer help today.”
Mirko nods at the Hobgoblin’s words. “It was your fight, and I believe it has still not reached its end. The elves will come back. It is a noble cause to defend ones kin; I hope your children grow up strong.”
Mirko steps back as Veit walks over, closes his weary eyes, and mutters a few words. "You fight quite well, sir. How do you feel?" (H8)
Mirko sighs as the pain recedes. “Thank you, Veit. A strong cause gives a man courage, I’ll survive.”

Patton rides up, weakened from his wounds, even though the bleeding has stopped (H1 from Cure Minor Wounds). Deerstone turns his head toward the young man and his heavy warhorse, smacks his lips and stumbles forward. The shaman gingerly reaches out and clasps Patton on the forearm; he lays another hand on his mount’s neck. Breezewind snorts but doesn’t move. Patton opens his mouth to say something, but then feels an immediate tingling in his bones (H7).
The old shaman looks at Patton for several long seconds, smacking his lips and sniffing. He himself smells vaguely like potatoes. Deerstone cackles suddenly, causing Patton and Breezewind to flinch, as he says in a toothless grin, "This one is honorable indeed! He can be trusted, me thinks. Yes, me thinks he can be trusted. Perhaps his companions likewise."
"Trusted with what?" Patton asks uneasily.
"What Deerstone means is that we have journeyed long and hard and..." Karr the Bold, swallows and takes a deep breath and then continues, "Our warriors have been decimated and we were returning to our tribal lands from a holy pilgrimage. Now, we have no way of bringing our dead back to our sacred burial grounds. We need…your help.”

Patton’s mouth drops open and Veit gapes openly. Mirko tries to stammer a response as Deerstone vigorously nods his head and laughs gleefully. "And a nice bowl of stew would be a treat for me belly," the skinny shaman says. "I've wasted away to nothing on this trip!"
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Actions? Replies?


Stats:
Chet - down 7 hp;

Mirko - down 6 hp;


Patton – full hp.

Viet - down 9 hp;

Nazareth - dead as a doornail

Marlowe - down 11 hp
  #20  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 09:39
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
Veit is speachless for several moments, and then finally finds his tongue. "I understand the necessity of burying the dead in the proper place. I will help, as long as it is agreed that your company shall provide food during this travel.....or directly after. I have a feeling that you aren't the senseless brutes that your kind is often seen as, so we may become friends over time." Veit then goes about taking care of what he needs to, but then realizes something- the caravan. "We may need to take a side trip first. We are on job protecting a group of wagons right now, and must finish that. If you are willing to come with us to finish the delivery, as soon as we get done we can go about going to your burial grounds."
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #21  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 11:38
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.40 per day)
Karr the Bold raises an eyebrow and asks, "You have wagons? How much for a wagon?"
"Now listen, dammit!" Marlowe says, hobbling up to the group. "Them wagons are already bought and paid for! They ain't for sale!"

Deerstone chuckles and smacks his gums and ignores Marlowe by asking, "Did you say they were for sale? Wonderful! We'll take one! How much?"
  #22  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 11:46
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
"NO, they are NOT for sale. We are making a delivery that the wagons are CARRYING. Now, we may have to just leave you here if you can't get that through your heads." Veit speaks with a little bit of anger in his voice, these people obviously the stereotypical stupid of their kind.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #23  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 12:01
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,838 (0.40 per day)
What few Hobgoblins are standing close enough to hear the exchange bristle at Veit's tone and come striding forward, their intent plain to see. Deerstone suddenly turns around and they stop in their tracks, looking away from the shaman's face.
When he turns back to you he is still smiling. "Too bad; could've used a good wagon. Me old bones need a rest from all of this travel. Perhaps..." he touches Karr on the arm and looks into the Hobgoblin warrior's eyes for several long seconds. The shaman smacks his lips and nods and turns back to Veit. "Perhaps we COULD indeed travel along with you? We would pay for our dead to be carted along too in your wagons. Why, my granddaughter could even cook for us! She makes a mean pot of venison stew, don't you dear?"
A shy Hobgoblin girl inches away from her friends and hurries to the old shaman's side. She smiles and her yellowish teeth are only slightly crooked.
"Do we have an agreement?" Karr says, his strong voice cutting through the tender moment.
  #24  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 12:18
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
Veit is not at all affected by the look of the girl's teeth, nor the fact that the hobgoblins look to threaten him. His voice calms back down, as he continues the converstation. "The wagons are not mine to offer for carrying the dead. Talk to him about that." He motions toward Marlowe as he finishes.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #25  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 15:36
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.37 per day)
A dead body is no more than meat, when my lungs no longer draw air it will be the same to rot in a battle field or in hollowed ground
You would risk the life of your children for a load of carcasses,

i think it be best for you to come with us to the next village, the elves may ambush you other wise,
I’m strong enough to walk, your wounded can use my horse

i dont care for the dead, but for life
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus

Last edited by Belkregos; 18th of July, 2006 at 15:40.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 17:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren