Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Wired*Nun's Games > My Enemies Have Sweet Voices...

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 1st of November, 2004, 22:55
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
Landon and Agraynel

[Putting this in a new private thread, I'd like to go private with it as Rebis it seems will not be joining Landon and Co on their mission to tweak the uiverse into shape. This way, Rebis' and Landon's actions will be separate and private again until they run into someone. This will keep the mystery for the other players.]

After enjoying an after dinner drink and smoke, Landon steps out into the lawn and rough houses with Arthur a bit. He retires for the evening finally falling asleep contently to the sound of Helena's rhythmic breathing.

The next morning and there after Landon wakes up fairly early and calls for Arthur. "We have work to do my friend."

He takes a brisk morning jog with his friend before returning for breakfast. Afterwards, he practices in the yard until lunch. He spends his afternoons in the library requesting to not be disturbed unless it's of terrible importance. Landon relies on Arthur to wrest him from his studies in the early evening there after he devotes the rest of his time to Helena. They alternate between going out on the town and staying home. He ends his days with a long, satisfying visit to the bath houses.

Landon quickly falls into routine and all but forgets his current woes. Until given reason otherwise, he'll continue in this fashion for as long as he is able.
  #2  
Unread 4th of November, 2004, 03:26
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
Landon receives a trump call from Corwin. "I just tried to get ahold of Rebis...he's not answering or blocked. Either something happened to him, of he decided against working with us and also decided not to tell me. This makes me wonder what he's up to or gotten into. Either way, he could be talking to others, willingly or unwillingly."

"Coral has also observed Bleys checking into the Lakeshore shadow, and then moving off. Since she used properties of the Jewel to do that, I think he did not know himself to be observed. I also think he did not want to stick around too long. He knows it's my backyard, and while we are not on bad terms, I'm sure he wants to keep it that way. He tried to Trump me, but I blocked him, as I have everyone else."

"How would you like to do some scouting around? I'd like to do one more of my own Brokens before we enter opposing territory."
  #3  
Unread 4th of November, 2004, 03:41
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Landon replies, "Well Rebis's actions come as no surprise, but I am a bit disappointed, nonetheless. Sure. Wouldn't mind stretching my legs a bit if you think Bleys is well away. Where to?"
  #4  
Unread 4th of November, 2004, 03:53
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
"Seek an large building on a blasted plain, inside a crater a mile across. Here is a memory of it." An image forms in Landon's mind, sufficient to shift shadow toward...inside the crater is a swarm of activity, as of tens of thousands of beings working tirelessly on machines both simple and complex. Buildings inside the crater belch smoke, and vehicles move on roads. Across the crater on the other side, Landon can see a road twisting up to the rim, and a line of vehicles moving up and down. A large hexagonal building sits at the center.

"The Broken is inside that building. Scout as much as you think best. You don't need to take any risks, as far as I know."
  #5  
Unread 4th of November, 2004, 04:04
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
"All right," Landon nods in agreement. "What's the time differential so I can let Helena know about how long I'm going to be away, and did you want Grayswandir back while I'm out? Anything further intell you have on this place?"

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 4th of November, 2004 at 04:10.
  #6  
Unread 4th of November, 2004, 04:12
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
"Keep it with you, I can always get it back if I need it, and you may find it more useful out in shadow than I will here. The time differential should be negligible. They are a technological shadow, roughly equal to Earth in the fifties. So, they do have firearms, and things like that. Like I said, be careful, hkeep my Trump handy, check out the magic of that place, let me know if anything has changed in the last few months since I have been there."
  #7  
Unread 4th of November, 2004, 04:24
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
"Will do." Landon says breaking contact. He goes to talk to Helena and lets her know that he'll be gone, but that he should be back within the week. He and her do as couples do when saying goodbyes. He stops by the bath house, and then makes whatever traveling preparations he'll need--food, a tent, etc. He'll not bring a horse with him and get one later if he needs it. He girds Grayswandir at his left hip opposite his Trump pouch on the right. He pauses momentarily wondering if the difficulty of shifting shadow in Amber applies here as well and makes a mental note to be extra careful.

With that all finished, he sets out walking away from Rome and starts shifting trying to get the plain right taking care to change his clothes and possessions along the way.

Last edited by TreyKincaide; 4th of November, 2004 at 04:37.
  #8  
Unread 4th of November, 2004, 17:33
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
Landon has little difficulty shifting away from Rome. In fact, he suspects the "shadow gradient" slopes away from Corwin's Pattern rather than toward it, as it does in Amber.

A few hours of easy shifting find Landon overlooking the enormous crater he saw in Corwin's memory-vision. The bustle of activity is there, and the stink of burning fossil fuels.
  #9  
Unread 5th of November, 2004, 00:46
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Landon backs aways from the edge.

Not a pleasant place. Not that I can see anyway. Let's do what's needed and away with myself.

Landon begins his magical recon. He experiments up on high to find just the right lynchpin to use. At his satisfaction, Landon tries to find a better vantage point to see what he can see.
  #10  
Unread 5th of November, 2004, 01:02
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
After satisfying himself with the magic of this shadow, Landon observes from the rock wall for a time. Unfortunately he can see little from this distance, and nothing dramatic seems to be happening.
  #11  
Unread 5th of November, 2004, 01:35
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Before attempting to actually get closer Landon walks along the crater's rock wall perimeter. He wills the Pattern to serve his desire and feels probability bend ever so slightly. Luckily he finds a pair of high powered binoculars--lens intact--carelessly wedged between and underneath a few of the looser rocks at the wall's base. Landon looks around and walks as far as necessary to ensure that he's still in the intended shadow.

Using his fortuitous "discovery," Landon takes a peek over the wall again. He concentrates primarily on the main building. He continues following the perimeter trying to get close enough to view the cars on the road driving up the opposite rim.

To think that this place lies in "close proximity" to Rome makes me almost sad. Maybe with the taint of the Broken Pattern gone, this place will improve.

If Landon deems it necessary to scout out further using his best tactical judgment, he'll attempt to do so. If he's satisfied that little has changed in accordance with Corwin's memory without moving closer, he'll pull out Corwin's Trump and give him a ring.

Last edited by TreyKincaide; 5th of November, 2004 at 04:22.
  #12  
Unread 5th of November, 2004, 23:41
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
[Landon is at the top of the crater wall, not the base. There is nothing to look over or under.]

Picking his way along the top of the crater, Landon checks the installation from various angles. He notices he is parallelling a dirt track with tire ruts in it. Not too long after, he sees a vehicle heading his way, perhaps a quarter mile off. It will take less than a minute to get to him.

Since it seems like it's about time to call Corwin anyway, it is doubly so now. Contact comes immediately. "Here."
  #13  
Unread 6th of November, 2004, 00:17
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
[Sorry. For some reason I got confused.]

"All done. Can you pull me through? I'm expecting company shortly." Landon extends his hand to Corwin.
  #14  
Unread 6th of November, 2004, 00:26
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
"Of course." He does that, and Landon is standing again on Corwin's front porch. Coral nods at him from the garden. "How'd it go?"
  #15  
Unread 6th of November, 2004, 00:34
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Landon replies with a wave, "Cake. Walking away from here's like walking down hill. Did what I needed to do and walked the perimeter of the crater. Didn't get too close of a view, but everything seems as Corwin left it with one curious note. There were tire tracks up on top. I would have seen where they went, but a car was heading my direction. I figured a discussion with the locals a poor idea indeed." He turns to Corwin, "Mind if I grab something to drink? Thirsty work."

Last edited by TreyKincaide; 6th of November, 2004 at 03:43.
  #16  
Unread 6th of November, 2004, 17:00
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
"Beer or whatever in the icebox. Toss me one too, will you? Sorry, just local brands. I really need to get something set up for German beer, Italian cheese...Coke! Thanks." He opens the bottle and drinks, then shakes his head like a wet dog. "Ha. I really need to get out more. I miss the days I could just walk around in Shadow without a care, just living day to day. Now, most times it's just...a job. I really feel for Dworkin. He was a little mad before the accident even. Give me a thousand years, I'll be a little mad too. If I'm lucky."
  #17  
Unread 7th of November, 2004, 02:24
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
After tossing Corwin a beer, Landon grabs one himself and goes back out to the porch taking a seat. "There are worse places to be cooped up, but I get what you mean. A prison of one's own design is still a prison. I think Random and Merlin have it rougher, though. Chained to a throne and dealing with the hot beds of intrigue that are Amber and the Courts day in and day out without the freedom to just take off for lengths of time."

Landon takes a drink, "Better them than me."

Last edited by TreyKincaide; 7th of November, 2004 at 15:42.
  #18  
Unread 8th of November, 2004, 05:23
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
"Fortunately it's a prison where I have the key, and it's a lot more fun than ruling Amber ever was. Once we get things rebalanced, maybe we'll have a time of equilibrium, like we had under Oberon."
  #19  
Unread 8th of November, 2004, 06:53
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Landon responds, "Maybe," but the tone in his voice betrays some doubt. He takes a drink. "You're right about needing to get better beer. This is terrible." Landon stretches out on the porch enjoying the pleasant afternoon temperature--a vast contrast to the blasted wasteland that he was in minutes before.

Interesting that Coral wasn't around when Rebis was. Surely that was intentional.
  #20  
Unread 8th of November, 2004, 07:09
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
Maybe he didn't want a Chaos Lord tempted by the Left Eye of the Serpent...

"Tell you what. Since we have a few days, want to run an errand? You fly, I'll buy? I can smooth the way for you to bring in a refrigerator-truck full of Earth supplies, if you're willing to make an old man happy. German beer, Coke, Scotch, caviar...macaroons...Girl Scout cookies...Asiago cheese...I can give you a list. It's not glamorous...you could even take Helena, she might find it fun. I bet she'd get a kick out of modern Roma or Milano...or New York, for that matter. What do you think?"
  #21  
Unread 8th of November, 2004, 07:33
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Landon looks thoughtful. "If it means not drinking this swill you call beer, I'm all for it."

Even if it means that I become nothing but a glorified delivery boy. Kinda risky. I wonder if they're looking for me yet. No matter. I should be fine.

"I did promise Helena to show her exotic places. Sure, we'll go."

Landon sets his unfinished beer on the porch and waits while Corwin makes a list and checks it twice. Once done he heads back to his dwelling in Rome. "Honey, I'm home and I have a surprise. How does a trip sound? Yes, Arthur you can come too. We're going home to run a little errand for Corwin."

Landon explains and makes preparations to depart.
  #22  
Unread 8th of November, 2004, 07:40
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
"Oooh, yes, I'd love to go somewhere. I've never been anywhere! Oh, what shall I wear? What shall I pack? Oohhh..." She heads off in a tizzy, making preparations.

Arthur cocks his head at Landon and says, "Where are we going?" Assuming he gets an answer, he goes on, "Will be nice to visit back there...I don't imagine we'll be going back to where you used to live? There's a cat I still have some unfinished business with...never mind. This place is fine, but I miss being out and about with you in Shadow...just you and me, and all that. Don't worry, boss, I'm not jealous. But ah...now that you found a mate...if we run across one for me...I mean...if I happened to meet someone...would you mind?"

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 8th of November, 2004 at 08:26.
  #23  
Unread 8th of November, 2004, 07:54
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Landon watches with amusement as Helena runs off to make unneccessary preparations.

Landon laughs and scratches Arthur behind the ears, "You are starting to get a bit long in the tooth aren't you boy? I remember when you used to be just as permiscuous as I running away to take the edge off. We're both old, I guess. Settling down. Tell you what. If we happen to find a bitch you fancy, Helena can keep her. Helena has someone to keep her company when I travel, you can come with me, and if you sire a litter, my children can have some playmates. I don't quite know where all we are going, though. If Rebis acts as expected, I should be a fugitive here soon."

Landon gets up and walk into the bedroom. "Helena, we're going to travel light. Don't worry about it. I'll take care of everything." he says as he gets a different scabbard for Graywandir and begins wrapping the hilt in twisted red cloth.

I wonder what's happening here soon that Corwin would send the three of us away. A visitor I'd find distasteful perhaps? An attack? Or are we bait to draw those out of the wood work? It seems that I'll should be expecting visitors in Shadow Earth. The least I can do is be a proper host.

Last edited by TreyKincaide; 9th of November, 2004 at 01:55.
  #24  
Unread 9th of November, 2004, 20:59
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.66 per day)
"Boss, why will you be a fugitive here? They can't come here, can they?" Arthur looks puzzled.

Helena is soon packed with a traveling bag, and Arthur is, of course, ready as always. "I can't just take nothing at all. All right, my love, how are we getting there?"
  #25  
Unread 10th of November, 2004, 01:03
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Landon replies "Figure of speech. We're as safe here as we are anywhere providing we remain in Corwin's good graces."

When Helena is ready, "Well, I could take us there instantly, but that takes the enjoyment away from the outing. Half the fun is getting there after all. Usually, I'd walk or take a horse, but in this case I believe a chariot should do until we find other transportation. There are things I need to explain on the way."

Landon has a servant bring a large chariot to the front of the manor. He ushers Helena and Arthur into the Roman transport. With a flick of the reins, they're off.

"Helena, we need to talk. There are things that you will see that you won't understand, and I don't want to frighten you. So, I'm going to take it from the top..."

While Landon begins shifting Shadow towards Earth he begins explaining to Helena about the true nature of himself, his family, and his abilities. He'll try to answer all of her questions truthfully, but will err on the side of shielding her from as much of the unpleasantness that he thinks is safe for her. For the most part he'll try to keep the walk as peaceful as possible and make minute changes--including language, clothing, and the chariot itself. He tells her beforehand what change to expect gradually building up momentum as she acclimates. When they need to rest, Landon and company make pit stops with food waiting for them in scenic picnic type locals. When they are far enough, Landon swaps the chariot for a cherry red vintage Chevy. He turns on the radio, and they continue on making any neccessary changes in trasportation--boarding a plan for instance-- to reach their Shadow Earth destination of New York. When he gets to a point where Grayswandir becomes an anachronism, he'll place it in a large traveling bag that he never lets out of his sight.

Once there, Landon checks them in at the Hilton under the name of Landon Flaumel. He makes a few phone calls arranging for the delivery of freezer truck containing the items that Corwin requested. That done, Helena and Landon refresh themselves from their journey in a private bath together before setting out to do as tourists do in New York.

Last edited by TreyKincaide; 10th of November, 2004 at 01:09.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 02:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren