Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Uncognitive Cackling

Unread 17th of July, 2010, 22:53
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7929
CthulhuTech

Has anyone given this game a go? It's been waved under my nose a few times, but I've never thought to give it a look. Is it worth glancing over?
Unread 18th of July, 2010, 04:58
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Member: #8160
I flipped through it, and found it very intriguing. I haven't looked at it from a rules/game perspective though, just as a "That's a great idea."
Unread 18th of July, 2010, 08:43
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7487
What is it? I could Google it (and I will), but a conversation about it would be preferred.

Unread 18th of July, 2010, 15:31
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
It's Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Game. Which is to say, cosmic horror WITH GIANT ROBOTS!

Awesome premise, but the core mechanic is ridiculous. Basically, rolls are from a dice pool of d10s, for which your total is the highest of all matching dice or any straight run of at least 3 dice added together, or just the highest facing die if there are no matches or straights.

Sounds fun to total, doesn't it?
Unread 20th of July, 2010, 09:57
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

A lot of game systems use that system, I think. Weapons of the Gods and The Whispering Vault are the only ones that come to mind.

Actually I think The Whispering Vault has you add the matching dice together and then add the value to the top. Three sixes is 24, but six threes is only 21. I can't recall.

Unread 20th of July, 2010, 17:16
LeadPal

I don't really know either of those, but they sound easier, if Google is any judge. The issue I have with CthulhuTech's mechanic ("Framewerk") is that there are two completely independent ways to count the dice. If it's a big roll with 10-15 dice and both matches and straights, you can't just throw out the irrelevant dice and add the rest--you have to sort out the results to find out which ones give the highest result. Annoying, and also makes it hard to judge odds.

Though you just use a die roller.

Not so much a problem with small rolls, though. And I do like the game overall; fighting fungoid nightmares from outside of angled space with a biological super robot is relevant to my interests. There's more to it than that, granted, but that's clearly the real reason to play.
Unread 21st of July, 2010, 04:56
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Oh, okay. I get it now. Yeah, Evangelion plus Cthulhu? Yes plz!

Unread 21st of July, 2010, 04:58
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Originally Posted by LeadPal # It's Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Game. Which is to say, cosmic horror WITH GIANT ROBOTS!

Awesome premise, but the core mechanic is ridiculous. Basically, rolls are from a dice pool of d10s, for which your total is the highest of all matching dice or any straight run of at least 3 dice added together, or just the highest facing die if there are no matches or straights.

Sounds fun to total, doesn't it?
It sounds like it wouldn't work at all for a PBP as the idea is actually spotting the best way to use your role. Shame as I am a big Evangelion fan. In fact, this has reminded me that the second film should be finally out in the English speaking world now. Or at least I hope, the first one had virtually no delay.
Unread 21st of July, 2010, 07:18
LeadPal

Originally Posted by BigRedRod # Shame as I am a big Evangelion fan. In fact, this has reminded me that the second film should be finally out in the English speaking world now. Or at least I hope, the first one had virtually no delay.
I can't wait to see how the films end. I'm hoping it's something like this.
Unread 21st of July, 2010, 07:22
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

I watched it in Japanese but as it turns out I was a little overconfident in my decade-old Japanese skills. I fell asleep and got nothing out of it.

Unread 22nd of July, 2010, 03:03
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Cthulhutech also works best if you understand that there are really three distinct types of games that can be played with the core book:

1. Piloting giant mecha (purely mechanical or biomechanical)
2. Playing agents (magic and psychics)
3. Playing shapeshifting horrors that battle other shapeshifting horrors (Tagers).

The three are not meant to be combined AT ALL, and most people lose sight of this.