Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 27th of April, 2004, 19:42
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

Member: #698
Question ADRPG: Magic the Gathering

Did you know that Mages in Magic the Gathering are actually chaos lords who fight for shadows in quest for power?

I'd like to test run a very short Amber the Diceless rpg game with chaosite side of the game, with some house rules that do not edit basic game much but adds a little rules and definitions.

If you want to be amberite, it's 50p, and you only have potential for walking the pattern. You do have bloodcurse and not a change in hell to walk the pattern.

Being Lord of Chaos costs 35p and you get shapeshifting for free.

Being from primal plane does not make you any weaker, you just have to rely on magic.

Here is a link to very poorly written page for houserules.
http://www.geocities.com/aftofmagic/Amber.html

So are here any amberites ready for simple player vs. player vs. others, short story?

(Idea is to figure out what is MtG all about actually.)
Unread 27th of April, 2004, 22:18
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

There are 5 primal planes in this County.

1. the swamp shadow
2. the plains shadow
3. the islands shadow
4. the mountain shadow
5. the forest shadow

Unread 29th of April, 2004, 00:43
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Member: #682
Amber and Magic:TG?

Originally Posted by ArtOfMagic There are 5 primal planes in this County.

1. the swamp shadow
2. the plains shadow
3. the islands shadow
4. the mountain shadow
5. the forest shadow

Hmm, I got a bit confused by your first post about your game. Are you saying you're running Amber using the Magic: The Gathering world/setting? Are we playing "Mages" or Personalities from Magic:TG CCG?

I stopped playing Magic seriously years ago and sold 95% of my collection, but I do have a five color deck that involves wolves and other wilderness friends. I'd like to play one of the Legends from it if possible.

(got a particular redhead in mind, but am open to Master of the Hunt too)

I only own the basic Amber rulebook, so tell me how I should craft a pc as I mentioned I really dislike the bidding process.

I'll take realm 5, Wilderness Shadow.

How many other players you got?

Lando The Archmagi
Unread 29th of April, 2004, 15:08
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

It's pure Amber campaing but concentrating on the part of the chaos where Magic the Gathering events took place. As all games are just shadows of Order and Chaos.

And you are the first.

You can create a normal amber character, only limit is Pattern as this is chaos game, so no patternite. If you take no part on the bidding war, you can just put points on stats and I compare them to other player's points to get a ranking.

Minimum point costs for warfare & psyche:
1st rank 20p,
2nd rank 15p,
3rd rank 10p ...
STR & END go 3p steps so 1st is 12p, 2nd is 9p...
You can go from there.

If you take sorcery, you can have 15 basic spells + 15 self designed spells based on MtG cards you own.

Oh, I forgot, contributions work differently, if you make fantastic art, or beautyfull story, you get amber points per piece, not permanent points.

What are amber points?
- temporal good stuff, you spend 4 amber points to find a good sword of deadly damage, but it's just shadow, easily taken away. Or you can spend amber points for items of your own creation and then they have any power you can give them. They are created when ever, and you can get access to them when in real need, using temporal good stuff.

I guess I am not the best game master around so I let the story open, basically it's 5 families fighting for power in a county of chaos, because Merlin accepts a senator to his new goverment only if there is one senator from this county to represent whole area. Basically this means that, that elders of the area feel they need to fight for power in order to get their own representative to the senate.

It can be player vs. player or alliance or what ever. We'll vote for it.

You Lando have Wilderness shadow, there are 4 realms still left.

All characters must be PMed to me, so only stat rankings are public, not even point costs. (what you bid is public though, if you take part of it. I'd like that.)
Unread 29th of April, 2004, 15:44
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lando The Archmagi Hmm, I got a bit confused by your first post about your game. Are you saying you're running Amber using the Magic: The Gathering world/setting? Are we playing "Mages" or Personalities from Magic:TG CCG?

Lando The Archmagi
You are Prince of chaos, therefore propably the 'Mage' of the Gathering, but if you create a Non-mage, you propably are just a hero, if somewhat powerful one.

Logrus explains quite well all the abilities Mages in the gathering had, logrus + sorcery.
Unread 29th of April, 2004, 22:44
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Amber

Originally Posted by ArtOfMagic You are Prince of chaos, therefore propably the 'Mage' of the Gathering, but if you create a Non-mage, you propably are just a hero, if somewhat powerful one.

Logrus explains quite well all the abilities Mages in the gathering had, logrus + sorcery.
Oh ok, after reading through this response and the previous response I have a better idea now. Since you're only using the basic rules this should be alright then. I'll begin crafting my mage and PM you my bids/pts for my stats and such later tonight once I relocate my book.

Just pondering ideas now, probably will go with Logrus/Sorcery and play a character based on one of the Legend cards I own that I particularly like.

Like the idea of using things from Magic, so I will dig out my five color deck to pull some spells/stuff from.

Lando
Unread 29th of April, 2004, 23:23
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

Now even I have to read my cards through... othervice I look bad.
Unread 30th of April, 2004, 16:30
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

Exclamation Stuff

My idea of good/bad stuff:

Karma(reputation)
Stuff:
20p Superb
15p Great
10p Good
5p Fair
0p Average

5p of good stuff makes people see you as a fairly good guy, but 10p bad stuff gives you a Good reputation as a person not to be trusted.

Other part is luck. Bad stuff is a pool of points that Storyteller uses to mess up with character's plans, by giving his enemies extra abilities or items. (like sword of deadly damage, 4p)

Good stuff is a pool of good luck Storyteller uses to reduce character's enemy power, like dropping a weapon of deadly damage near the character when he really needs it.

Luck returns to full at next scene.

If this sounds wrong, debate.
Unread 30th of April, 2004, 16:33
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

Talking Advanced power

First I thought that no advanced powers, as they must be earned with xp, but then I thought, it's a short story (to prepare for Groom of Unicorn campaing) so it's not possible to earn advanced powers.

So another balansing option is this: Advanced versions can only be taken with bad stuff. You got that extra punch but you surely need it.
Unread 30th of April, 2004, 19:22
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Amber

Originally Posted by ArtOfMagic My idea of good/bad stuff:

Karma(reputation)
Stuff:
20p Superb
15p Great
10p Good
5p Fair
0p Average

5p of good stuff makes people see you as a fairly good guy, but 10p bad stuff gives you a Good reputation as a person not to be trusted.

Other part is luck. Bad stuff is a pool of points that Storyteller uses to mess up with character's plans, by giving his enemies extra abilities or items. (like sword of deadly damage, 4p)

Good stuff is a pool of good luck Storyteller uses to reduce character's enemy power, like dropping a weapon of deadly damage near the character when he really needs it.

Luck returns to full at next scene.

If this sounds wrong, debate.
Sounds close if not correct. I found my Amber book last night and am working on ideas for my female pc. I plan to take a little bad stuff perhaps and will contribute with some storytelling or something to help balance it out perhps.

Concerning items and such you mentioned in your house rules we could begin the game with some stuff, what sort of things are you permitting?

If we wanted to design an artifact/weapon or something using the creation rules can we?

I'll be working on my pc during lunch today at the office, so I'll probably have most of her ready for you tonight.

Lando
Unread 3rd of May, 2004, 15:28
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

Post Balance is everything

Originally Posted by Lando The Archmagi
Concerning items and such you mentioned in your house rules we could begin the game with some stuff, what sort of things are you permitting?

If we wanted to design an artifact/weapon or something using the creation rules can we?

Lando
I was thinking about how much self created items is OK for starting character, and I invented a rule to keep it balanced.

If you have a power that lets you make/find items of your own, you can use temporal badstuff - bad amberpoints to buy them.

If you want to have a personal item, you can buy them with character points as usual.

Character items are powered by highest power you have.

I have to tune my bad/good stuff rules a bit, I think I send ratio is once per thread.

So if you take 5p of badstuff, you have a fair change in a scene that if brings troubles. (perhaps I should roll the dice... NO IT'S DICELESS!!!)

Low stats:
Some storytellers make players pay for taking human level stats. I do not, but events will eventually do that. You have to remember that all items will be taken away at somepoint, so even belt of giant strength on a character with human strength can be a good point collection point, it makes you easy to capture, or keep in a jail.

Conversion rules:
I noticed that MtG creatures fit nicely on my ladders, but I have to keep Attack and Defense values even it's not really ADRPG system.

Attack/Defense
0 - Human
1 - Chaos
2 - Amber
3 - Fair (low ranked)
4 - Good (mid ranked)
5 - Great (mid ranked)
6 - Superb (top ranked)

Summoning spells demand conjuration + Sorcery, othervice I do not know how to handle it.
Unread 3rd of May, 2004, 21:33
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

Post Start of the game

It all starts in a meeting. Elders of the Dominia have met and agreed to form a kind of senate that solves all the problems different chaoslords might have against each others, and uphold peace.

All went well until Aribeth, messenger for King Merlin trumped in and informed the Elders that King will ask a senator for his new senate of the chaos from county Dominia, and the elders must choose one representative to represent the whole Dominia. King would wait for representative in the courts of chaos, then Dominia would become official member of Courts of Chaos.

Then she trumped away.

It is not sure what happened then, clearly a strong argument came to be, resulting in massacre. Only Tremere, Swamp realm elder escaped and he told a tale of how unknown armies of strange gray soldiers attacked the place with unfathomable weapons that shot participants with loud voice and lethal results.

As it is easy to guess, only members of his kindom believed him. shit

Plain and mountain kindoms declared war on King Tremere, but island and forest kindoms saw an opportunity for power, as anyone fighting swamp realm might weaken enough to be taken over, ensuring enough leverage to force remaining kindoms to accept their representative.

Where the players come in the stage, they are all princes (or princessess) of the Kindoms of Dominia, given orders by elders of the kindom to counquer all of dominia or enough to ensure that their representative will be accepted to senate of Chaos.

I would like to hear what are 5 families called, each player chooses family name and have a position of high general. Though armies they must gather themselves.

Time flow:
In Dominia timeflows differ a lot. Player who posts once a day naturally live in fast time shadow and player who posts once a week live in slower shadow.

But in the end, time is only an illusion, like the shadows. Trump proves this, as it does not what timeflows character's are, their conversation over trump work as if they were in same shadow.

Prepare your selves. Join forces or break alliances, your goal is to have supreme power.
Unread 4th of May, 2004, 19:29
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

Post Seven Phases

Character can write a 7 phase history of himself.
Each phase describes a time spent practising a profession.
So if your phase was spent as a doctor, then character gets a fair rating for that profession. (describes quality of knownledge that stats do not describe)

Multiple phases for same profession, profession's rating increases:
1 - fair
2 - good
3 - great
4 - superb

So good rogue uses warfare for pick lock tests, but good rating for knowning the underworld.

Unread 4th of May, 2004, 20:25
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

Exclamation Map

Unread 6th of May, 2004, 23:49
ArtOfMagic
Tiny Zombie

You can make a map of shadows. how to read it?
The closer you come to the forest prime plane, the more forest you start to get.

If you want to go from forest shadow to plain's shadow, at the moment you have to go through island shadows.

But on chaos side of the reality, nothing is constant, even this map is obsolete as situation flows.