Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > hedgeknight's Games > The Darnathian Prophecies > Finished Adventures

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 1st of February, 2009, 23:53
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
Destiny

Back in Triboar – Prelude to Destiny

Almego winces as Alison dabs the blisters on his palms with a fast healing ointment; blisters he received from digging the graves of those who died in Jundar’s Tomb. Prior to their company’s entry, 57 souls had not returned from that Dwarven hole; now, that number had risen to 61 with the loss of their companions; good men all.
Mirko and Borth buried the Quaggoth deep in a cavern, but the Lathanderians buried their brothers on the side of Jundar’s Hill, facing the rising sun as in compliance with their faith. “So that the Morninglord will always shine his face upon them when he rises at break of day,” Graham had intoned at the simple ceremony.
They had been back in Triboar for two days and already they were itching to leave; eager to confront the hag sisters and be done with prophecies and destinies.
Dreys met them as they entered town, their tails tucked between their legs, glad to be alive. He immediately noticed the change in Mirko – the effects of the Burning Blade – and was sad. “Should’ve went we ye,” he muttered to his friend. Mirko didn’t mind and asked for beer and a woman; simple tastes for a barbarian like Mirko, the great blue bear of Uthgar.

Almego has simple tastes too but those have not been easily sated since he returned. He has developed a rattling cough, aggravating him; he’s had it since leaving the tomb. And he’s noticed with some dismay that several of his treasures are no longer magical; it’s as if there powers were used up or mysteriously drained.
He and Alison determined the properties of their new items (see below) but even these revelations did little to cheer him. And when Alison mentioned, “You know, you haven’t put down the clock since we left the tomb,” he recoiled as if struck by a viper and spat his own brand of venom at her, accusing her of wanting the Hand of Time for herself.
He recovered almost immediately, but he must admit that he doesn’t want to be without the tiny golden clock. Its hold on him is almost as compelling as the shadow within, which thankfully has been strangely silent since returning to Triboar.

Mirko had said they would leave out for Neverwinter Woods as soon as the weather broke and from what Alison had reported to him this morning, it looked like that would be by weeks end.
And this is what he was thinking about – the trip to face the hags – when he began coughing and couldn’t stop for several minutes. Alison fawned over him until he growled and pushed her away. But she gasped when she looked as his face and quickly grabbed a mirror so that he could see himself. What he saw, gave him pause: his eyes were bloodshot with deepening gray circles around them and his chin was flecked with blood from his cough. The coppery tang of it was in his mouth when he asked, “What’s happening to me?”

Mirko was soaking in a bath, having taken the edge off of his emotions with Shanna this morning; she was a good girl and good at what she did for a living. The scalding water threatened to burn away all of the bruises and pain from the last few days, but it couldn’t burn away the memories of the dead, nor the final confrontation with the Blue Queen, Tanta Hagara. And Mirko didn’t want it to. He wanted to savor the memory of killing that bitch for the rest of his life.
He had not been the same since returning from the tomb. The effects of the Burning Blade were, needless to say, quite obvious. But his friends didn’t mind, and neither did Shanna, and that was all that mattered for now.
When the weather breaks, he was going to lead them to the slopes of Mount Hotenow in the Neverwinter Woods and confront the Storm Sisters and put an end to this prophecy once and for all. He despised being led around by the nose by some damn babbling dead seer and his witch servant. Once the Storm Sisters were dead, perhaps he’d have a word with Agatha for all of the hell she put him through.
These were his thoughts, when the door suddenly opened and Dreys stepped in to tell him, “Dry yer wank and put some clothes on; we got a problem.”
“What is it?” Mirko asks, opening one eye lazily, peering at Dreys through the steam of the bath.
“It’s Raynal – he’s gone on a rampage. Killed three folk early this morning in the street and then ran off into the wilds screaming like a banshee.”
“What about Shirl?” Mirko says, sitting up; water runs from his new beard and he frowns at it.
“Beat the shit of her and left her in their room; she’s okay. Graham is with her right now.”
“What’s this world coming to?” Mirko wonders aloud as he climbs out of the tub and grabs a towel.
Dreys grunts and turns his back to his friend, giving the barbarian some privacy. “Don’t know, but it seems to be going straight to hell.”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >



Actions?


Items from drow mage:
Mithril rapier +3 defender
Wand of Lloth (15 charges) – 1 charge: cast Darkness or Web; 3 charges: Summon Shadows.
__________________

  #2  
Unread 6th of February, 2009, 04:38
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.41 per day)

Mirko walks out of the room still tightening his belt and securing his weapon about it, nods to drays towards the door as he walks,

“Lets go talk to Shirl and Graham before we jump, someone get our horses ready”

As they leave the brothel, Mirko moves at a hurried pace, thought they need to find out the circumstances first any time devoted to it means Raynal has a longer head start
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #3  
Unread 9th of February, 2009, 10:22
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,264 (0.57 per day)
What is happening to me!

The thought echoes around his skull sounding like dice upon a table. Holding his breathe like he's bet his life on a game of chance Almego tries to shut the sound out by holding his head, but - to no avail. In fact it is the only thing he can hear for what seems like eternity as the echoes boom around his head. He tries to think out his dilemma like he's done thousands of times before save for the distraction of his mind's mad repetitive chant...

What is happening to me?! What is happening to me?! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME??!!

If not for Alison's presence Almego may have sat in that position, hands covering his face and curling into a slight fetal position, till world's end - forgotten and mad. Lucky for him though, someone in this blasted world cared about him - someone wouldn't forget him.

"Almego! Almego... Look at me!" Alison screamed at the young sorcerer while gripping his shoulders painfully. Her nails dug into the silky fabric of his black cloak and he was momentarily mindful of it's contrasting feel - the smooth iciness of his cloak and the hot sharp stab of her finger-nails.

What is happening to me! His mind shouts again, defiantly yet with a desperate tone.

"Almego!"

Warm blood leaks from the puncture of Alison's nails that are piercing his clammy flesh as she shakes him vigorously. Her deep blue eyes draw his gaze to her and he has a different thought shoot through his consciousness, She wants the Hand of Time!

A burning sensation comes from his chest where his Lion's Heart Amulet lies against his chest, but Almego Ignores it as he awakes from the mad litany of his mind and jerks himself roughly from Alison's grip. He recoils and his hunter/killer instincts almost kick in entirely before he catches himself. Her eyes though find his again and he stops.

She's not going for the Hand of Time, she's just trying to help me...

He looks down at his hands and realize the drow's Wand of Loth is in one hand pointed at her and in his other hand is the drow's Mithril Rapier. Shocked and appalled he drops them both to the ground and sits back down upon his bed. Finally he speaks, "I'm sorry Alison. I t-think I need he...."

Must not let anyone know you're weak! Comes a thought that he can't distinguish between his own and the Shadow within him.

Another fit of bloody cough wracks through him though and he is left with no choice. Wiping the blood from his mouth when his cough subsides he says to Alison, "I need help. Get Graham and them for me please."
__________________
"Only the Truth is revolutionary."

Last edited by hedgeknight; 9th of February, 2009 at 19:54.
  #4  
Unread 9th of February, 2009, 21:16
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
Back in Triboar - Part 2

Back in Triboar 2

Mirko walks out of the room still tightening his belt and securing his weapon about it, nods to Dreys and says, “Lets go talk to Shirl and Graham before we jump, someone get our horses ready.”
As they leave the brothel, Mirko moves at a hurried pace. “We need to find out the circumstances behind all this before we head off, even though it means Raynal has a longer head start.”

Dreys nods in agreement and then points up ahead as they walk out into the street. Shirl and Graham are coming to toward them, heavy woolen cloaks wrapped around them to protect them against the early morning chill.
Shirl looks like she’s been through hell and lived to tell about it. Her face is bruised and one eye is blackened; there are thin white scars on her cheeks and chin too, but these have almost healed thanks to Graham.
Mirko sighs and then jumps right to the issue.
“Did he say anything about where he was going?”
Shirl sniffs and wipes the fresh tears from her eyes. “Not much. He was yelling about how unfair his life was and that he was going to make people pay for ruining it. I tried to console him, but he wouldn’t hear it. When I grabbed his arm to try and stop him from leaving, he…he began hitting me and…he wouldn’t stop…he just kept hit…” her voice breaks and she puts a hand over her mouth and turns her face away.
Dreys grinds his teeth and turns away from her too, leaving Graham and Mirko looking at each other, unsure what to say.
“Don’t worry, we’ll find him,” Mirko manages to say.
But then Shirl turns back to face him and the barbarian almost flinches at the fire in her eyes.
“You bet your ass we’ll find him,” she growls, hurt seemingly replaced by anger. “I was a prisoner on that damned island for longer than I care to remember. By the grace of Mielikki I endured the abuse and humiliation from those faithless pricks and I swore that no MAN would ever treat me like that again. And by the gods none shall…and get away with it!”
She huffs and draws in ragged gulps of air, her breath steaming in the morning chill. “He’s changed,” she murmurs, looking at Mirko. “All of us have changed, haven’t we?”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

What is happening to me!
The thought echoes around his skull sounding like dice upon a table. Holding his breath like he's bet his life on a game of chance Almego tries to shut the sound out by holding his head, but to no avail. In fact it is the only thing he can hear for what seems like eternity as the echoes boom around his head. He tries to think out his dilemma like he's done thousands of times before save for the distraction of his mind's mad repetitive chant...
What is happening to me?! What is happening to me?! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME??!!
And then Alison is there, grabbing him, shaking him out of his thoughts. If not for Alison's presence Almego may have sat in that position, hands covering his face and curling into a slight fetal position, till world's end - forgotten and mad. Lucky for him though, someone in this blasted world cares about him - someone hasn’t forgotten him.
"Almego! Almego... Look at me!" Alison screams at the young sorcerer while gripping his shoulders painfully. Her nails dig into the silky fabric of his black cloak and he is momentarily mindful of its contrasting feel - the smooth iciness of his cloak and the hot sharp stab of her finger-nails.
What is happening to me! His mind shouts again, defiantly yet with a desperate tone.
"Almego!"
Warm blood leaks from the puncture of Alison's nails that are piercing his clammy flesh as she shakes him vigorously. Her deep blue eyes draw his gaze to her and he has a different thought shoot through his consciousness, She wants the Hand of Time!
Of course she wants it! They all want it!
Cackles the shadow within. Are you just going to let her take it?


A burning sensation comes from his chest where his Lion's Heart Amulet lies, but Almego ignores it as he awakes from the mad litany of his mind and jerks himself roughly from Alison's grip. He recoils and his hunter/killer instincts almost kick in entirely before he catches himself. Her eyes though find his again and he stops.
She's not going for the Hand of Time, she's just trying to help me...
The shadow within screams in frustration and Almego winces at the mental pain.


He looks down at his hands - the drow's Wand of Lloth is in one hand pointed at her and in his other hand is the drow's Mithril Rapier. Shocked and appalled he drops them both to the ground and sits back down upon his bed. Finally he speaks, "I'm sorry Alison. I t-think I need he...."
You fucking weak piece of dogshit! Comes a thought that he can't distinguish between his own and the shadow within him.
Another fit of bloody cough wracks through him though and he is left with no choice. Wiping the blood from his mouth when his cough subsides he says to Alison, "I need help. Get Graham and them for me please."

“I’ll be right back,” she says, kissing him on his fevered forehead before bolting through the door.

The shadow chuckles and Almego puts his shaking hands over his head in an attempt to drown out the pain.
First Stephen, then Raynal, and now this little bitch love slave of yours.
“Shut…up,” he growls.
All of them have betrayed you. All of them hate you!
“Shut…the fuck up!” he yells
And all of them will die because of you.
Almego sucks in air to scream at the shadow but instead is wracked with a bloody cough and doubles over in his bed…hoping to die himself.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

“All of us have changed…”
The words hit home to the barbarian who knows the truth of them all too well. Nothing has been the same since the day his clan exiled him. And yet as he has grown into a man, he has constantly been changing. From a simple hunter, to a raging barbarian, to a figure of legend, to a pawn of the gods…will it ever stop?
“Yes, and we are still changing, Shirl. We always will be.”
Mirko doesn’t know where that thought came from, but it somehow eases his mind a bit…until he sees Alison running up the street toward them.
“Almego…something is wrong with him…he’s coughing up blood.”
“Take me to him!” Graham urges and she grabs his arm and runs away.
“The whole damn world’s gone crazy!” Dreys grumbles, and hurries along after them. Mirko and Shirl follow and hope they don’t find another crazed man bent on killing them all.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

A few minutes later, Graham is sitting beside Almego with a cool hand on his sweating forehead and a grim look on his face.
“You have been infected…with mummy rot.”
Graham makes the proclamation as if announcing the weather, just matter-of-fact with no pretense. “And you’re going to die if you’re not cured…and quick!”
“Can you help him?” Alison asks, holding one of Almego’s hands.
Graham sighs and shakes his head. “The disease is in an advanced state and it is beyond me to cure it completely. I have slowed it down a bit, but he needs a high priest for this.”
“Where can we find one?” Alison asks. “We have coin. We’ll pay for the healing.”
Graham is shaking his head when he hears Dreys gasp and Mirko cuss and all heads turn toward the door…where a huge white tiger is striding in!
Mirko jerks the Burning Blade off his hip and Dreys backs away, but the tiger just sits down and…yawns.
And then in walks a half-elven woman, beautiful and tall. She pulls her dark brown hair out of her eyes and smiles as she looks at Mirko and Dreys. “Don’t worry about Samson, he’s still half asleep. I came because the goddess sent a message to my dreams. May I?”
Graham nods and Alison looks back and forth at everyone until Mirko finds his voice and says, “This is Amra Clearwater…our guide since arriving in the North.”
Amra moves to the bed and feels Almego’s face and hands and lays her head upon his chest. Alison draws back a bit, wrinkling her nose at the mingled smell of cloves and the odor of wet tiger that has assailed upon the room and that comes from this woman as well.
Samson sprawls out on the floor near Dreys, who is trying to find a way to get around the big cat, and closes its eyes.
And then Amra begins to sing…softly chanting…as a greenish glow emanate from her body. She rises up and hovers her face so close to Almego’s that she is almost touching him, in fact, it appears as if she is about to kiss him.
But their lips never meet. Instead, the green glow seeps from her mouth and flows into his, moving down his throat and into his lungs, driving the disease from his body.
Almego sighs deeply, his breath easing with every second, color returning to his face, warmth to his limbs.
Amra sits up and looks at Alison who has tears running down her face. “He will rest for awhile, but he will be fine. The goddess has healed him.”
“T-thank you,” Alison manages to say, her lips quivering with emotion and she hugs Almego.
As she does, the tiny ivory statue rolls out of her cloak and into her lap…and Amra recoils as if slapped in the face.
Samson immediately comes awake and stands up and Amra backs away, her hand pointing at the statue.
“What…is…that?” she says, fear and surprise filling her voice.
“It is the Statue of Kane,” Alison replies coolly. “And it belongs to me.”
Amra swallows hard and looks first at Mirko and then at Dreys…waiting for someone to say something.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Well?
__________________

  #5  
Unread 12th of February, 2009, 17:01
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,264 (0.57 per day)
"Alison bears the burden of the Statue of Kane." Almego gives a pained look her way, I didn't want that burden to have to fall to her... but, she chose her path - I cannot choose for her. "As Mirko now bears the Burning Rage and it's," a wry smile crinkles Almego's face which is starting now to regain it's color, "it's burden. And I," unconciously Almego swallow and his smile is wiped away and replaced by a hopeless look, "I bear the Hand of Time." "

We have the Three Weapons of Power spoken of in the Prophecies of Darnath the Black and if Valkur, Lathander, and any other of The Gods is willing we shall go forth and defeat the Storm Sisters. Your healing is much appreciated and whatever further aid you can give us would be great. We are going to need supplies for our journey... and, if you have the right kind, information." The young sorcerer recovers his composier and sets a stern and serious look on his face as he stares down this Amra Clearwater. Just another meddling old hag as far as I'm concerned - no different than Agatha.

Knowing he must say something to stem Shit's suspicions Almego thinks quickly and adds, Now I just need to wait for my opportunity,looking at Alison he continues, we need to wait for our opportunity to get away with the third weapon for our Master.

Privately he adds to himself only, Valkur give me your strength in my trials to come...
__________________
"Only the Truth is revolutionary."

Last edited by hedgeknight; 12th of February, 2009 at 19:55.
  #6  
Unread 12th of February, 2009, 19:58
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
Amra shakes her head as if trying to clear her jumbled thoughts. "How...how did you come to bear these weapons of power?" Her gaze is as intense as Almego's and she doesn't flinch from the young sorcerer.
"The Statue of Kane is a holy relic of Auril, the Frostmaiden. Once her followers know of it...they will come for it."
__________________

  #7  
Unread 13th of February, 2009, 03:37
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,264 (0.57 per day)
"Her followers know already. It is their grasp we rescued it from. Although, the one's we took it from are dead." Looking around he asks Mirko, "Is everyone nearly ready? I doubt we can wait till weeks end. I wouldn't like to put Triboar in danger by having us here." It's time to head north...
__________________
"Only the Truth is revolutionary."
  #8  
Unread 18th of February, 2009, 21:16
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
Mirko doesn't respond, but Dreys pipes in and says, "Everything be ready whenever ye be ready. I got us some fresh gear and mules for the trip while ye were in the tomb. I hear it's supposed to be clear weather for the next few days. Mayhap we can leave this afternoon or in the morning?"

OOC: Bel - are you out there???
__________________

  #9  
Unread 19th of February, 2009, 09:30
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.41 per day)
Mirko was lost in thought for a few moments,
So much has happened, so much has changed, he did not believe in destiny and if he could he’d walk away
He shakes his head and puts his strong heavy hand on Almegos shoulder, he thinks of something to say and then the Images of the dead dwarves and the hold come to his mind, his face hardens and just nods as he walks to the door

We need to get Raynal…

Lets go..
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #10  
Unread 19th of February, 2009, 14:54
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,264 (0.57 per day)
Almego hears this and before asking the question that springs to his lips automatically he knows the dreaded answer, Raynal has escaped. Still, his mind is not fast enough to stop the question aloud, "What happened?"

While awaiting a response he jumps up with his new found vigor, thanks to this Amra Clearwater, to tests his muscles and limbs to see if they're ready for the journey ahead and thinks, I shall have to thank Raynal before this is all over for shifting the focus onto himself. As long as my 'companions' are concentrating on the threat he poses they'll never see me coming, unless...

Into Almego's mind pops the faces of Mirko and Dreys when they parted paths outside the gates of Thornhold. Into his mind comes the faces of the dwarves of Thornhold and Shirl's face when Almego abandoned her and Raynal in the Streets of Neverwinter. Yes, they may not see it coming, but... they won't be surprised when it does happen. We must get Mirko alone...

After a few moments dwelling of the implications of the choices he'll be making in the future he thinks also, This is going to be the toughest part. Shit hesitantly agrees with him, but to Almego his omission had a double meaning. Deep down he dwelt on this as well, but kept it to himself.
__________________
"Only the Truth is revolutionary."
  #11  
Unread 27th of February, 2009, 12:59
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
Into the Woods 1

Destiny – Into the Woods

“It’s cold enough to freeze the balls off a snow tiger,” Dreys announces loudly, returning from a thicket of brambles after relieving himself. “Me piss froze afore it hit the ground!”
Samson, a real snow tiger, growls at the dwarf and Mirko chuckles and spurs his horse onward, leading the others of his group – Almego, Alison, Amra, Shirl, and the remaining Lathanderians – Franklin, Swindell, Graham, and Hudson, into the Neverwinter Woods north of Conyberry.
The group has traveled hard for nearly four days, but Raynal has kept ahead of them, moving amazingly swift. He passed through Conyberry yesterday morning according to the few locals who remain in town. (They have still to recover from the frost giant attack a few weeks ago.) He was raving mad, some say, slavering like a wild animal, proclaiming doom on the Realms and revenge on his betrayers; he bowed several men, killing three, and set fire to a farmhouse in his rampage. And now he has disappeared into the woods.

(OOC: If we need to do some retro role-playing to get you out of Triboar and through Conyberry, so be it. I’m just trying to move us along.)

“Ye’d think he’d be easier to track in the snow!” Dreys says, leading his pony into the trees.
“He’s a ranger and a damn good one,” Mirko replies. “He knows how to hide a trail…and he knows we’re after him.”
Swindell moves out in front and so does Amra and Samson, hoping to pick up Raynal’s trail again.
For several miles, deeper and deeper into Neverwinter Woods, Swindell, Amra, and Samson lead on, picking their way over defiles and through thickets. Until they come to the edge of a large swamp. Here the air is damp and colder and pockets of blackened water stand on top of the ground. Thick trees stand silently and there is a stench like that of decay all about.
“Are you sure he came through here?” Mirko asks as Swindell returns to the group.
The young ranger shakes his head. “No, but how else could he have come? He’s on foot and not leaving much of a trail. Could be he led us this way on purpose.”
“It’s what I would do,” Alison says quietly, surveying the swamp, “if I meant to delay you…or kill you.”
“Samson is nervous,” Amra says. “He senses something unnatural close by. I get the feeling too, that we are being watched.”
“I’d say,” Swindell says, after taking a swig from his waterskin, “we are being hunted.”
“Can we backtrack?” Mirko asks, feeling the hairs on his arms stand on end.
“We could, but it would take us awhile,” Swindell answers. “We are a few miles into the swamp. My thinking is to push through and hope the Morninglord leads us through safely.”
(OOC: Tag anyone!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winter swamp.jpg (152.3 KB, 1 views)
__________________

  #12  
Unread 5th of March, 2009, 10:36
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
Into the Woods 2

Destiny – Into the Woods 2

Mirko nods to Swindell and the young ranger turns and begins to lead your group into the swamp. Your senses are assaulted by the rotting vegetation and sounds of the swamp. Constant noise causes you to jerk and turn, straining to see what is making the sounds. You see nothing but endless swamp. Trees with enormous root systems stretch skyward while layers of moss and slime float around their trunks. A weird call sounds to your right, then a splash to your left, a hooting call overhead, and a weird thrumming sound somewhere behind you.
“Nice spot, Swindell.” Hudson sneers. “Remind me not to go on any picnics with you in the future.” Swindell glares at the big warrior and Franklin says, “Cut the chatter. Swindell knows more about this type of terrain than any of us.” He glances at the others to find them huddled together in a tight wad, uneasiness and apprehension evident on their faces. Swindell nods and says, “Test every step before putting your full weight on it - the ground is liable to give way underneath you at any time. And watch out for quicksand! There’s bound to be pools of it here and there. If you fall in, stay as still as possible and don’t thrash about! We’ll get you out slowly but surely. Follow my lead and when I say...”
His words are interrupted by a loud splashing somewhere up ahead through the mists and trees.
Almego senses the danger in the air and invokes a spell. Almost immediately, mirror images of the young sorcerer pop into view (6 images). He licks his lips and pulls forth one of his pistols, scanning the swamp.

Things settle down and Swindell signals to move out. The ranger takes about three steps before sinking up to his chest in the murky water. He turns and looks at the rest of you, “Watch out for pot holes too.”
Hudson chuckles, but Dreys ain’t laughing. “Damn this swamp and damn the hags! Dwarves don’t like the water much or haven’t ye heard!” Dreys growls, looking for a not-so-deep hole to step into.
Everyone moves ahead and the going is slow but steady as you pick your way through the swamp, looking for some kind of solid trail. Suddenly, Swindell raises an arm and drops to a crouch. The rest of you stop in your tracks and strain your eyes and ears in an attempt to pick up any danger.
Mirko sniffs and a low growl forms in his throat…just as Samson creeps by him, crouched low to the ground. The great snow cat is on alert, its tail twitching in excitement; Amra is not far behind it.
“Something comes,” she whispers in a flat tone, her eyes glued to the mists ahead. And just then… when a braying sound echoes through the swamp freezing everyone where they stand. The hair on the back of your neck stands on end and goosebumps run all over your flesh. In seconds the unearthly howling seems to be all around you and you stand locked in place, weapons brandished and peering into the mists. Swindell comes rushing back and says, “Move! There’s a small clearing up ahead that may be defendable!”
As you follow the ranger, Franklin yells, “What is it?” But before he can answer a huge dark shape swoops overhead causing you to drop and roll to avoid being hit. “What the hell what that?” Hudson asks scrambling to his feet. “Damned if I know,” Amra says, “but it was huge!”
Up ahead you see Franklin and Swindell braced and ready for combat and you hear splashing sounds approaching fast as the howling grows louder and louder. Shapes move through the mist as the swamp comes alive! The shapes look like big dogs made of straw and mud with sharp teeth and claws. There must be a nearly a dozen of them. And leading the pack is a large, coal-black creature with flaming red eyes. Larger than a mastiff, the black hound moves through the swamp water like vapor, making no sound at all! As you fan out bracing for the pack, huge shapes appear overhead and begin swooping down upon you! You see them clearly now - black bats with wingspans of nearly 12 feet! Their fangs gleam through the mists as they “talk” to one another while diving toward you.
And upon the back of one of the black bats…rides a hag!
“There they are my pretties!” cackles B’Hara, one of the Storm Sisters. “Rend them, rip them, tear them up! But save the young girls for me! I likes ‘em fresh and tender!”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

ACTIONS!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg In the Woods 1.JPG (52.0 KB, 1 views)
__________________

  #13  
Unread 6th of March, 2009, 21:34
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
Mirko's actions

Mirko sends a column of fire to the hag steed, it aims to bring her down, it uses the flaming sword to do it and then focuses on the closer threats

OOC: Bel sent these to me directly via email, so I thought I'd post them here.
__________________

  #14  
Unread 7th of March, 2009, 06:23
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,264 (0.57 per day)
Almego likewise focuses his power on bringing down the hag. A crackling javelin springs forth from his hand as he hurl's electrical death towards her.

(quick post of first round, more to come later...)
__________________
"Only the Truth is revolutionary."
  #15  
Unread 10th of March, 2009, 09:42
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
Into the Woods 3

Destiny – Into the Woods 3

As the battle begins, Mirko points Firespout at the hag’s steed as it sails overhead and unleashes a gout of flame at the huge bat, hoping to bring it down. The flames scorch its belly (D10) but the great beast continues to float toward them. Almego likewise focuses his power on bringing down the hag. A crackling javelin springs forth from his hand as he hurl's electrical death towards her. But his aim is slightly awry and the bolt flies by her and she cackles in defiance. Alison too unleashes a barrage of shadowy bolts into the belly of G2 as it swoops down at her and Almego. The bolts unerringly strike the great bat but seem to do it no harm at all!
B’Hara cackles at the feeble attempts of the companions and directs her sinister steed to dive at Almego and Alison! The stone atop her staff flares to life and suddenly a yellowish green fog-like cloud boils up from the ground around the pair of lovers. The smell is hideous – like a cross between rotten eggs and boiled cabbage. Almego gags but is not otherwise affected by the stinking cloud. Alison, however, turns nauseous and green, spewing her breakfast across the snow.

Amra calls upon the power of Silvanus and the dormant grasses and vines erupt from their winter slumber to entangle two of the bog hounds. Samson leaps at H10 and the two go down in a tangle of wet muddy fur and claws.
While Samson and the bog hound rip and tear at one another, H9 leaps at Mirko, clawing the barbarian in the face (D4) and biting him in the arm (D5).
Mirko shakes the dog loose and Amra moves to help, when suddenly G1 swoops down and bites her hard on the back of the neck! (D10)

Dreys strides forward and buries his war axe in the side of one of the bog hounds, ripping out a chunk of mud and sticks (D11). The bog hound snarls and leaps at the dwarf, clawing him in the face (D3), but unable to find purchase with its teeth.

Franklin and Swindell find themselves surrounded by three bog hounds and the huge black moor hound. Swindell fires an arrow into the chest of H1 (D10) and Franklin meets the huge moor hound with steel, but the vaporous creature avoids the blade and comes in for the attack!
Swindell faces two hounds and both of them get in solid hits on the young ranger, biting him in the arm and behind the leg (D9).
H3 attacks Franklin, clawing him in the back (D3) while the moor hound attacks from the front, clawing Franklin in the chest (D5) and giving him a vicious bite in the shoulder (D11).

Graham invokes Lathander’s will and summons a large black bear which glows with a golden sheen. The bear emerges from the swamp and charges in to help Franklin and Swindell. But Graham’s elation at seeing Lathander’s answer to his summons is short-lived because a bog hound leaps at him biting and clawing. However, the priest of the Morninglord fends off the construct and prepares an attack of his own.

Hudson grips his bastard sword with both hands and meets H6 head on, cutting a chunk out of the hound but not slowing its progress (D9). H6 claws and bites at the big warrior, but Hudson is able to fend off the vicious attacks.

Shirl fires an arrow at H7 as it barrels toward her. The shaft drives clean through the beast and out the other side! (C15) H7 returns the favor and bites Shirl in the thigh, drawing blood (D4).

The round ends as the celestial bear lumbers into the fray, attacking H3 with tooth and claw, ripping and tearing at the construct, doing severe damage (D13).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

ACTIONS!!

Heroes:

Alison – full hp; nauseated (-4 CON)
Almego –
Amra – down 10
Dreys – down 3
Franklin – down 16
Graham –
Hudson
Mirko – down 9
Samson – down 9
Shirl – down 4
Swindell – down 9

Giant Bats:
G1 –
G2 –
G3 –
G4 –
G5 –
G6 – down 10

Bog Hounds:
H1 – down 10
H2 –
H3 – down 13
H4 –
H5 –
H6 – down 9
H7 – down 15
H8 –
H9 –
H10 –
H11 – down 11
Moor Hound Leader –

B’Hara –
Attached Images
File Type: jpg In the Woods 2.JPG (58.9 KB, 3 views)
__________________

  #16  
Unread 11th of March, 2009, 00:44
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,264 (0.57 per day)
Almego grabs Alison and tumbles clear of the naseating cloud. Looking up he sees the Hag wheeling about to come in for another strike. Almego pulls forth the Hand of Time and invokes its power, "Dem Es Berste Tyme Peru Muse." Turning the dial to 7 o'clock he unleashes the power of Confusion upon the Hag, hoping to stall her attack.

Even as he is doing so Almego is already drawing in more power and focusing his attention now upon the Hag's mount. The young sorcerer unleashes a ball of static electricity hoping it has more effect than Alison's magic.

Across the battlefield he yells, "Mirko, lets see what that thing can do!"

(ooc1: If the Valkur's Static Sphere seems to hurt the bat thing (there is no save, just ranged touch attack and SR) I'll continue for another round or two on that, unless it engages in melee (or something else stops me). If it doesn't affect the bat then I'll pull out the Wand of Loth and fire a web at it to try and bring it down. If it comes to melee I'll dodge the Hag and use the mithril sword, defender on full +3)
(ooc2: Remember Gary, on spell resistance it is a caster level check vs a DC equal to the creatures SR. So, for the hand of time's powers it is based on the caster level of the Hand of Time. i.e. if the artifact had a caster level of 15 then it would be d20+15 vs creatures spell resistance. I'm guessing the Hand of Time has a decent caster level so hopefully its spells will penetrate the Hag's defenses. Also, the DC of any saves for the spells of the Hand of Time would be a number based upon the item, not my attributes.)
__________________
"Only the Truth is revolutionary."

Last edited by elmer_jok; 11th of March, 2009 at 09:49.
  #17  
Unread 11th of March, 2009, 17:28
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.41 per day)
these fucking dogs are just anoying, come on down and play with the big boys ya damned bag'o bones, this shaft'll give yer flaps a good stretch!

Mirko bring out the burning balde hefting it with both hands he uses its full weight to bigh it down on the hounds head the hammer does not stop ther but continues its great arch crushing bones and banging agains the floor, the impact ripling across the bog and mud solidifies to granite holding fast mirkos enemies

OOC:hey, since i dont know exactly what the blade does took a little poetic lisence
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #18  
Unread 13th of March, 2009, 07:08
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
Into the Woods 4

Destiny – Into the Woods 4

Almego grabs Alison and tumbles clear of the nauseating cloud, rolling in the snow. Looking up, Almego sees the Hag wheeling about to come in for another strike. With grim determination, he pulls forth the Hand of Time and invokes its power, "Dem Es Berste Tyme Peru Muse." Turning its hands to 7 o'clock, he unleashes the power of Confusion upon the Hag, hoping to stall her attack.
The wave of energy slams into B’Hara and the look on her face is priceless. For a second she appears stunned and then her face contorts and becomes a scream of fear! She quickly reverses the bat’s course and it begins to climb, heading for the tops of the trees, bearing northeast toward Mount Hotenow which looms in the distance. Almego grins wickedly and then across the battlefield, he yells, "Mirko, lets see what that thing can do!"
(OOC: Nice work, Josh! Thanks for the reminder on the caster level.)


Alison coughs and gags when freed from the stinking cloud, and then grits her teeth and staggers to her feet. Rage fills her as she invokes the Statue of Kane. She stretches for her hand and a crackling whip of ice appears in her fist! And as G5 dives down to attack, a blue sheen of ice surrounds her body and she lashes out with the icy whip! The whip slaps the giant bat in the head, wracking it with numbing pain! (D9) It shrieks and tries to bite Alison, succeeding with a nasty wound to her arm! (D11)

Still reeling from the painful bat bite, Amra calls upon Silvanus for power and as the bat (G1) banks around to come back for another attack, a bolt of lightning falls from the heavens, slamming into its back! (D23) The bolt rocks the creature and it tries to maintain its attack, but instead it begins to climb, seeking escape.
Nearby, Samson appears out of the foggy mists, covered with mud and spitting straw from his mouth, having destroyed H10.

Dreys roars in defiance and attacks the bog hound in front of him, cutting a chunk out of it on a mighty overhand chop and then destroying it with a backward swing (D20). After Dreys last swing, the creature falls to the ground and begins to dissolve into a mass of mud and hay.
Suddenly, a giant bat (G3) swoops down at Dreys attempting to bite him, but the battle-fused dwarf swings his axe and cleaves a large wound the bat’s belly (D12).

Hearing Almego’s call, Mirko replies, “These fucking dogs are just annoying! Come on down and play with the big boys ya damned bag 'o bones! This shaft'll give yer flaps a good stretch!”
And with that, Mirko draws forth The Burning Blade for the first time in combat and hefting it with both hands, he uses its full weight to bring it down on the head of the bog hound attacking him (H9). The heavy mace drives the bog hound to the ground (D16) and then Mirko hits its again, crushing its neck and front legs (D12). Somehow, the beast still moves after all of that punishment and Mirko, like Dreys, can’t help but voice aloud, “What kind of spawn are these creatures?”

Seeing B’Hara attempting to escape, Almego draws in more power, focusing his attention on the hag’s mount. The young sorcerer unleashes a ball of static electricity hoping it has more effect than Alison's magic…and curses a blue streak when the sphere is seemingly “absorbed” by the giant creature.
“She’s getting away! We must bring her down!” he cries, pulling a black wand from his sleeve. But then G3 is upon him, delivering a nasty bite to his arm, causing him to drop the wand in the snow (D12).

Alison doesn’t hear him, however, as she cracks her icy whip at G5, ripping out black fur and flesh with its frozen caress (D15). The bat attempts to bite her, nonetheless, but she easily ducks under the attack.

Dreys hears Graham call for help and rushes to the priest’s aid, delivering two vicious chops at the bog hound that has Graham pinned to the ground (D21). The hound turns on Dreys, biting and clawing, but the dwarf’s armor deflects its attacks.

Mirko takes a step back from the bog hound at his feet and then looks up to survey the rest of the battle. The Burning Blade thrums in his hands and Jundar “speaks” to him, leading his actions. Pointing the heavy mace at the ground, Mirko wills its power over the mud and slush, rippling through the bog, turning it solid under the feet of the hounds! (OOC: Freakin’ awesome! And I’m a loser for not getting you the powers sooner. I promise, PROMISE, to do that by this weekend.)
Four of the bog hounds find themselves stuck in the solidified swamp ground, but the big moor hound manages to avoid entrapment.
This makes it easy work for the companions to do some serious damage on the hounds, and the celestial bear easily destroys H3, and then moves to help Franklin who is being mauled by the huge moor hound!


(Round ends with Almego healing 5 pts)

ACTIONS!!


Heroes:

Alison – down 11
Almego – down 7
Amra – down 10
Dreys – down 3
Franklin – down 33
Graham – down 4
Hudson
Mirko – down 9
Samson – down 9
Shirl – down 4
Swindell – down 9

Giant Bats:
G1 – down 23; trying to escape
G2 –
G3 – down 12
G4 –
G5 – down 15
G6 – down 10; B’Hara’s mount

Bog Hounds:
H1 – down 10; held
H2 –
H3 – dead
H4 –
H5 –
H6 – down 9; held
H7 – down 15
H8 – held
H9 – down 28; held
H10 – dead
H11 – dead
Moor Hound Leader –

B’Hara – confused and fleeing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg In the Woods 3.JPG (60.2 KB, 2 views)
__________________

  #19  
Unread 21st of March, 2009, 16:31
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.41 per day)
Lets finish this!
Mirko bring doen the hammer once again on the held beast then moves on to the next one,
If the hag has not returned by the time they’ve finished with the dogs and bats he’ll grab a cuff of bathair ahd rubbing it between his hands, lets the heat of the friction increase the scent ,
He’ll track the hag by sent
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #20  
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 10:13
elmer_jok's Avatar
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member: #1746
Location: Tacoma, WA - USA
Posts: 2,264 (0.57 per day)
While Mirko is trying to get the scent Almego points to the mountain in the distance, "She went that way."
__________________
"Only the Truth is revolutionary."
  #21  
Unread 31st of March, 2009, 06:49
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
Into the Woods 5

Destiny – Into the Woods 5

“Let’s finish this!” Mirko yells, bringing down his mace once again on the held beast at his feet. The Burning Blade crushes the hound into a mass of sticks and mud, and Mirko smirks and hurries toward H8.
Hudson slays H6 and Swindell H1, while Dreys attacks H2 and Samson helps out a bleeding Shirl with H7.

Another bolt of lightning rips through the sky, blasting G3, sending the giant bat down into the swamp. Alison follows suit with a cone of numbing cold from the Freezing Rage, knocking G5 out of the sky, its great wings folding as it plummets to the ground.

The moor hound, surrounded by three foes, ignores the celestial bear and focuses its attacks on the already severely wounded human. It tears a deep gash in Franklin’s chest and then with a feral growl it latches onto his throat and rips it out, spewing blood and gore on the swampy ground! (D20)

The celestial bear claws the moor hound, doing the first real damage to the creature (D8), but the hound basically ignores the damage, turning toward Swindell with an evil growl.
The ranger attempts to hit the hound, but his blade passes right through the beast.

Nearby, Mirko crushes the last of the bog hounds and turns to see Franklin lying in a pool of blood…another young life destroyed by the evil hags. The moor hound, sensing that all of its support is gone, growls, wheels around, and flees.
(Does Mirko let it go?)

Later…while you are cleaning up, Mirko grabs a handful of bat hair and rubs it between his hands, letting the heat of the friction increase its scent. “We need to find the hag,” he murmurs sniffing his palms.
Almego grins and clears his throat. "She went that way." He says, pointing toward the mountain in the distance.
As if in response, the dormant volcano rumbles sleepily.

Actions?

Heroes:

Alison – down 11
Almego – down 7
Amra – down 10
Dreys – down 3
Franklin – dead
Graham – down 4
Hudson
Mirko – down 9
Samson – down 9
Shirl – down 4
Swindell – down 9

Giant Bats:
G1 – down 23; gone…went down somewhere in the swamp.
G2 – fleeing
G3 – dead
G4 – fleeing
G5 – dead
G6 – gone

Bog Hounds:
H1 – dead
H2 – dead
H3 – dead
H4 – dead
H5 – dead
H6 – dead
H7 – dead
H8 – dead
H9 – dead
H10 – dead
H11 – dead
Moor Hound Leader – fleeing!

B’Hara – confused and gone!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg In the Woods 4.JPG (60.2 KB, 1 views)
__________________

  #22  
Unread 3rd of April, 2009, 09:58
Belkregos's Avatar
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member: #787
Location: San Diego Ca.
Posts: 1,910 (0.41 per day)
[Mirko kills the fleeing wolf]

Mirko looks towards the vocano adding with a low voice
"she'll be waiting for us"

taking Franckilns body to his shoulder [unless someone else was already taking care of the body] he leads the way
__________________
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
The Myth of Sisyphus
  #23  
Unread 3rd of April, 2009, 20:24
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
(OOC: Mirko swipes at the moor hound who swiftly blends into the mists and disappears)

Hudson stops the barbarian with, "I got him," and easily lifts his dead friend to his shoulder. "Lead on, friend Mirko. But when we get to the mountain, I'm standing beside you; I got some death to deal to this hag and her sisters."
__________________

  #24  
Unread 6th of April, 2009, 22:56
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
Into the Woods 6

Destiny – Into the Woods 6

After the battle, Mirko bends over to pick up Frankin’s body, but Hudson stops the barbarian with, "I got him," and easily lifts his dead friend to his shoulder. "Lead on, friend Mirko. But when we get to the mountain, I'm standing beside you; I got some death to deal to this hag and her sisters."
Mirko looks toward the volcano adding with a low voice, "She'll be waiting for us."

And so the barbarian leads the way with Swindell close by and Samson in the flanks, checking for surprises. After a few miles of trudging through the swamp and then through some dense forest, the woods begins to thin out a bit as the ground begins to rise near the foot of the sleepy volcano known as Mount Hotenow.

BAHRIM QUAH!
The unexpected thundering in Mirko’s head staggers him and Swindell puts his hand on the barbarian in concern. “You alright?”
WE…COME!
Mirko nods in a distracted way as if listening for something, and smiles slightly. “Gonna be just fine, soon.”

Almego wipes the cold sweat from his face as he gnaws on a biscuit that he should have thrown out a couple of days ago. He glances at Alison and recoils to see her smiling…but not at him. She’s covered in a bluish sheen of ice and looking into the sky, her eyes wide and her lips moving as if…she is talking with someone.
You think it strange, my pet, that others talk to themselves, yes? You pathetic hypocrite. Almego tries to ignore the Shadow within but it won’t shut up.
We draw close to a great source of power…dark power. Your destiny draws near. It is almost time to rid yourself of these stinking mortals and embrace your Dark Lord…forever.
Abruptly, Stephen’s face flashes before Almego’s eyes and the young sorcerer nearly cries out in surprise; the Shadow chuckles and hisses and disappears.

“We have company,” Amra whispers, loud enough for everyone to hear in the quiet forest. “Samson says others are approaching.”
“Get ready for battle!” Mirko says, hefting the Burning Blade, his voice rough like that of a dwarven warrior. Dreys stands near his friend and peers through the misty trees, his double axe ready for blood.
“There!” Amra says, pointing to the west. Striding through the trees with purpose, not attempting to conceal themselves, are about a dozen figures. Most are dressed in white cloaks or robes, but some of their gear is glacier blue.
Alison steps forward and smiles. She turns to Almego and winks and then back to the approaching group.
The leader, a man dressed in heavy armor and wearing icy blue cloak, stops about 40 feet away and calls out, “We have come to honor the bearer of the Statue of Kane!”
Samson growls and Amra bristles as if preparing for battle. But Alison steps forward and says, “And who are you?”
“I am Barnes,” the speaker says. “Our lady, Auril the Frostmaiden, sent a message to me in a dream saying that the holy relic had been…rediscovered.”
“We do not need your help, Aurilians,” Graham growls. “The Morning Lord guides our way. Go back to your frozen caves while you can.”
The Aurilians bristle at this and Hudson steps up beside of Graham, his hand on the hilt of his sword.
“Enough!” Mirko says, his eyes like flames. “We came to the mountain to kill the hags and…and…”
“And to fulfill prophecy,” Almego whispers, his eyes dark, his features shadowed.
Barnes nods. “We have our own prophecies and one says this: ‘When Kane stands on the mountain of fire, the Frostmaiden will bless him and his followers with everlasting life.’ We have come to see this fulfilled and to bask in her glory.”

What a crock of shit! Everlasting life indeed…
Almego ignores the voice as a sixth sense causes him to turn to the east…just as Raynal and a group of elves step from the concealment of the woods.
“Oh hell,” he mutters as the rest of his companions react to the newcomers.

“Don’t look so surprised, cousin,” Raynal says, his voice harsh, his eyes wild.
He’s gone insane…
“I have found…us…some help in defeating the hags,” Raynal continues, gesturing to the elves around him. One man dressed in shades of conifer green and brown steps to the front and says, “I am Celadon and these are some of my warriors. We are followers of the Lady of the Forest – Mielikki – who sent us here after Raynal wandered into our camp half-starved and near death. The hags and their minions have oppressed these woods for many years; it will be good to rid the Realms of them.”

Dreys sucks his teeth and says, “Looks like we got us a whole damn army. More fodder fer the hags,” he chuckles.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >


Actions? Comments? Or do you want to move ahead to the mountain?


Heroes:

Alison – down 11
Almego – down 7
Amra – down 10
Dreys – down 3
Franklin – dead
Graham – down 4
Hudson
Mirko – down 9
Samson – down 9
Shirl – down 4
Swindell – down 9
__________________

  #25  
Unread 17th of April, 2009, 06:53
hedgeknight's Avatar
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1690
Location: NC
Posts: 1,827 (0.45 per day)
At the Foot of Mount Hotenow

Destiny – At the Foot of Mount Hotenow

As the morning mists began to burn off in the glare of the wintry sun, a call went out through the animal kingdom. A call that announced there was to be a great battle…a battle among those with two legs.
And in the shadows of the woods and depths of the swamp, creatures gathered to watch. Most of these creatures watched in silence, but just like in the two-legged world, there were noisy watchers.
Ravens had been gathering since the break of day and by the time the two-legs reached the “sleeping giant” (the name the creatures of Neverwinter Woods called Mount Hotenow) the trees were black with them.
They talked and squawked, cawed and cooed to one another, placing bets and making proclamations of how the battle would go. Who would win…and how much meat there would be.
And no matter how much the other creatures scolded them, the ravens of the north would not be quiet. In fact, they scoffed at their scolders and threatened to peck out their eyes if they didn’t leave them alone. And so, after useless pleas, the quieter creatures of the forest watched in silence, while the ravens raised a ruckus.
Watching with the quieter creatures was a beautiful elemental spirit, a Lady whose gown was like the fresh snowfall. Her hair was the color of the sun, her eyes the shade of pine needles, her lips the tint of holly berries. She watched and walked among the trees, visiting with her creation, celebrating recent births and unions, healing old wounds.
Yes, the Lady of the Forest even spoke to the ravens for they are her children too, and they greeted her loudly but affectionately.
They invited her to watch with them in the tops of the trees but, she declined with a smile and a wave and returned her attention to the three groups at the foot of the mountain.
The Lady knew what lived in those caves. She knew what atrocities had been committed in those dark dens. And she knew that a Prophecy was about to be fulfilled.
And so she waited…and watched…and this is what she and her forest children saw…

“Spread out!” Mirko said, hefting the great mace, the Burning Blade of Jundar Swordbreaker. His gait was slow and determined and his new beard was flaked with wind-blown snow.
Celadon and Barnes echoed the command to their companions, the Wood Elves and the Aurilians.
Dreys stepped up beside of Mirko and several of the Aurilians stuck close to Alison, the bearer of the Statue of Kane, the Freezing Rage, a holy icon of their faith.
Raynal, wild-eyed and breathing heavily, plowed through the knee-deep snow at the foot of the mountain, his eyes on the caves; Shirl followed close behind him, her face a tapestry of worry.
Amra eases through the snow, following in the wake of Samson, who moves so quietly and cautiously that she fears to disturb him.
Hudson propped Franklin’s body against a tree and covered it with a heavy winter blanket, tying it tight with rope to keep the ravens off of it; the rest of the Lathanderians, Graham and Swindell, stood ready with faces lifted to greet the morning sun in the name of their lord.

When do you intend to eliminate your play thing? Asks the Shadow within. Almego flinches and tries to ignore the voice, but the Shadow is relentless.
She now has her own followers – they will die to protect her and kill you if she commands them so. She cares nothing for you – her new ‘god’ is the Frostmaiden; you are now forgotten.
(Tag Almego)

High on the slopes of Mount Hotenow are several large openings, while at it’s base two caves are easily visible. The ground is more solid here and there is a sulfuric tinge is in the air that even the light snowfall cannot dispel. “I’ve been finding a lot of tracks leading straight toward the base of the volcano,” Swindell says. “Perhaps we should...” The ranger’s voice trails off and everyone looks at him and then follows his gaze to stare at Raynal.
Raynal is standing in mid-stride, his legs locked, his body in a crouch; his captain’s coat billows slightly in the wind. He holds his longbow in both hands before him. Blue-green flames lick around the arrow he has nocked; Raynal whispers, “Trolls.”
“Where?” Mirko asks. And after a few seconds Raynal replies, “Up ahead somewhere. Probably near the volcano. I think there is more than a few.” “Damnation!” Hudson swears. “I hate trolls.”

Weapons drawn and spells ready, you move forward even more cautiously than before. As you approach closer to the volcano, the ground solidifies and movement is surer. The air is bitterly cold and there is only a slight drizzle of snow. With only a hundred yards to go, the trees thin and the volcano looms before you. You can clearly see the openings in its side, probably 200 feet above you, but more importantly are the caves at its base; large, ragged openings, unprotected and uninviting.
Shrouded by scrub brush and vines, the caves appear to be natural formations, and the tracks you’ve been following lead directly to them. Amidst the brush and bushes are several huge boulders, probably shed from the volcano during an eruption. Spreading out, you approach with extreme caution.
(OOC: Spells and preparations? Do it now!)

With arrows nocked and weapons gripped with whitened knuckles, you follow Swindell’s lead toward the caves. Without warning, large, wolf-like creatures burst from the caves. Their skin is a mix of violet, gray, and green flesh with patches of coarse, spiky black hair. Their eyes are pitch black as are their fangs and tongues. They look like ugly dire wolves, standing nearly 6’ feet at the shoulder, bulging with muscles. A smell of death proceeds them as they move to attack, snarling and snapping their teeth.
Even as the strange wolves charge toward you, your attention is suddenly diverted to the huge boulders lying about. They are moving! Rising on massive legs which appear to be stone, the huge creatures look at your group with hunger in their deep black eyes. Their fang-filled maws hiss and they stand nearly 11 feet tall! A few hoist large boulders in their massive claws while others move to meet you crouched to attack.
A horn sounds to your left and turning you see a large force of hobgoblins, armed with halberds and marching in formation toward you. There are at least 50 with two hobgoblins who appear to be leading the group standing in the front.
And if that isn’t enough, a keening sound overhead announces the arrival of the surviving bats which burst from the large caves high upon Mount Hotenow. There are only three of them, but they are huge.
Over the din of grating stone, marching hobgoblins, and shifting forces, rises a cackling laugh. Seeking it source your eyes turn upward where standing in the mouth of one of the large openings are the Storm Sisters. This is the first time you have seen all three of them together. They are standing shoulder to shoulder, arms raised, fingertips glowing with black power. Clouds boil overhead and thunder rattles the air shaking your bones and faltering your steps. The Aurilians shout and your horrors are made true as you turn to look behind you. Corpses stagger and stumble out of the swamp, arms outstretched, toward you. Rotting flesh dangling from them, maggots falling to the ground in wet, frozen clumps, they march toward you heeding a summons which cannot be ignored. You are surrounded and there is no escape!

In the trees the ravens cry out, anticipating the coming feast…
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>

“WAKE UP! TIME TO DIE!”

Heroes:

Alison –
Almego –
Amra –
Dreys –
Graham –
Hudson
Mirko –
Samson –
Shirl –
Swindell –

Edit: Amra and Graham spent some time passing out a little bit of healing, thus, everyone should be up to full hp before the start of the battle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hotenow Battle Map 1.JPG (42.1 KB, 3 views)
__________________


Last edited by hedgeknight; 17th of April, 2009 at 20:16.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren