Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > zachol's Games > Demiourgos

Unread 23rd of October, 2009, 18:59
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Discussion Thread (Basics)

The standard IC/OOC division doesn't really work here.
I'm going to have "discussion threads," where we talk about things in general, but for the most part discussion is actually going to go in the respective threads of the resources. For example, someone posts a thread about elves, then others contribute, adding or changing things, and not doing so "in character."
Eventually, the good bits will be moved to the first post or so, or things will be merged.

Also, another comment: I've made everyone a mod, but (obviously) don't abuse this, and if you do edit someone else's post, leave little comments in the post about what you've done so we can track what's going on.
However, it's better to reply and then edit the original post after we agree on changes.

For now, let's discuss the basics, both the final aspects of how we're going to do this, and then the basic themes and ideas of the world.

Repost some stuff:

I'm assuming we're going to stick to one world, perhaps with orbiting planes or something like that, and that the world will be essentially D&D-"like," vaguely similar to Greyhawk or the other generic fantasy worlds, at least at the most basic, superficial level.
Questions of magic level, technology level, the actual tone of the world, geography, etc. can wait till later, I'm just talking about the basic core. That is, we're not doing some sort of cyberpunk world, or somewhere with a really bizarre set of rules (like Ravenloft or something), and the common mortal races that eventually spring up will be humanoid, stuff like that.
Sounds like a good idea. One possibility that I've seen is gradually broadening portfolios. For example, I might start out as the God of Stone and Metal in the First Age, expanding to Smiths and Craftsmen for the Second Age, and finally adding Weapons and Technology for the Third Age.* Thus ending with six portfolios in total.

This keeps someone from having too many portfolios at the start, or trying to pick portfolios that are only really useful in certain Ages. I think keeping it to two portfolios per Age should give enough breadth, even with just four of us contributing.
Ok, let's just go with this: Each player plays a god, with a vaguely cohesive portfolio, but no explicit "X number of things" limit of items.
Gods should be able to be summed up in a sentence that explains their essence - "Joldei is the god of fire, adversity and creepy things," but there can be a very wide range of influence, and gods can have minor or moderate effects in areas not explicitly part of their portfolio.

The idea that we play gods is a tool to moderate how much influence we each have, and a sort of seed or theme, but it should never serve as a limitation, and this should be a "game" with rules in only a minimal sense - our portfolios shouldn't limit us if we have an interesting idea, or a comment on something someone else has done.
It feels like we have the same vague intention - perhaps we should start detailing our gods, say what we're "shooting for," what the gods eventually will be about?
Maybe also talk about the general face of the final product? I don't want to detail everything, but a very general simplistic goal would probably be useful. This can definitely change as things progress.

LP has Joldei, The Hidden Flame, God of Creepy Stuff.

I will have... Senea, The Broken Mirror, Child Goddess of Warped Reflections and Imagination.
Senea has dominion over memory, echoes, and history, and her teachings hold that stories and false reports hold as much value as "true" records of what has happened. She tends to act in very subtle ways, ways that don't even seem fully conscious or intentional.
She often manifests as a small, porcelain doll-like girl, and her symbol is a fractured, yet still somewhat usable mirror.

As I mentioned before, I was thinking the world should turn out to be fairly similar to the "standard" fantasy world, vaguely similar to the "default" world implied in the core D&D books.
That is, there is such a thing as magic, and it is relatively practical; monsters, etc. exist; there's (obviously) some sort of polytheism, and gods have influence over the world.

Comments?
Also, please say if you object to something, or if I'm going too fast.

Also, if anyone has any "big ideas" they want to pursue, feel free to suggest them. A completely generic fantasy world isn't actually what I'm shooting for.

Last edited by zachol; 23rd of October, 2009 at 19:09.
Unread 24th of October, 2009, 00:14
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
More ideas to come, but to start I will be:

Charach- God of Smiths and Metalworking, and the Keeper of Secrets. A god who favors direct action. Manifests as a bronze man, his symbol is the hammer and anvil of the forge.
Unread 24th of October, 2009, 01:24
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

So I'm thinking that, as the four "creator" dieties, we should have dominion over a relatively basic "facet" of reality.

For example, Joldei would have dominion over conflict, adversity, and chaotic change.
Senea would have dominion over potential, imagination, and dreams/stories.
Charach would have (for example) dominion over creation, power, and logical form.

Other options (for Candleman, or if they suit your god better) would be: love, desire, death, destruction, fate, beauty, tranquility, growth, skill, knowledge, that sort of thing.
Things that are required initially for "stuff" to happen.

Reality itself would be the Being, the over-deity of time, space, and existence. These seem too basic for any one of the "four creator gods" to have. The Being would be a sort of deistic thing - it created reality, and us, but otherwise doesn't do anything.
Unread 24th of October, 2009, 07:51
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

Member: #2004
I was thinking Arkanon, The Walking Corpse, God of Decay, Death, Growth, and Rebirth. He is also the god of Magic as it occurs naturally. His symbol is a skull with a fern growing from his left eye and a bright blue stone in his right, and I haven't yet decided on his physical appearance.

Sorry I came late to the party.
Unread 24th of October, 2009, 15:44
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Each of our deities should definitely have their own thread. Like character sheets, almost.

Some "big ideas" I have for the setting would be the prevalence of insects, mollusks and crustaceans as signature monsters, races, and cults, due to Joldei's influence. Another big idea is to use the ancient idea of planar cosmology, in that all divine locations are actual, physical features of the world, if incredibly dangerous and difficult to reach. Say, Charach rules Mount Olympus, and Arkanon is in Hades.
Unread 24th of October, 2009, 16:04
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

I really like the idea of physical realms where the gods reside, instead of separate planes. It would be interesting to have pilgrimages to different holy places.
Unread 24th of October, 2009, 19:50
LeadPal

First draft of Joldei is up. Needs detail, but it covers the basic idea pretty well: Joldei is a horrible monster when first discovered, but grows less horrible and monstrous as time passes, until in the Third Age it eventually becomes a fairly normal deity.
Unread 29th of October, 2009, 05:50
LeadPal

Think we need to figure out what races we want to build the setting around. I've already referenced lots of bug things as ideas, but we need emphasis on non-bugs. It'd be cool to move away from the standard elf/dwarf/orc setup, though not too far. Any ideas?
Unread 31st of October, 2009, 00:18
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Two "divine races," both created directly through a creator's intervention and stemming from their mind.
First, Quicklings, very short lived (three or four years) fey creatures. Also known as Senea's Dolls. Senea primarily resides in the equivalent of the fey realm, the massive northern Twilight Forest (basically Siberia). Have a bizarre, pseudo hive-mind thing going on. Psionic. These would be her race.
Second, a sort of "large metal dwarf" thing, or something, Charach's race. Sort of like extremely advanced, magi-tek warforged. Darius would detail these more.

Then there would be multiple "mundane races," ones that came about more naturally, through collaboration. These would primarily be Arkanon's area.
Humans, the "greatest creation," with aspects from all the creator deities (including Joldei).
Capybara/large rodent people. This world's "generic barbarian race," replace orcs. Very definitely not "sneaky rat people," are large, aggressive, and obvious. "Army of ten thousand squealing charging murderous bastards eating, pillaging, or burning everything in their way" aggressive and obvious.
"Eastern-style" dragons (no western style ones in the world), long, fly without apparent wings, act in odd ways.
Shimmerwings, an amazingly beautiful and long-lived race of bird-people. Take the place of elves.
Tengu, the Shimmerwing's ugly cousins, raven-people. Traders, merchants, sneaks. Take the place of halflings.

Also, the Pillars, a race of animate fire... somethings, that keep popping up everywhere. Have been around before Joldei, are presumed to have something to do with the Being, and the "proper" functioning of basic laws. Maybe.
Only called a race because they at least seem to be intelligent, but they don't do anything but pop into existence, move around, burn some stuff, respond to stimulus (often in unintuitive ways, though), then either get extinguished violently or just burn out.

Also, if it's alright, something about magic:
Senea's domain is the mind, psionics. Her "magic" is chaotic, fluid, and extremely imprecise, and has a lot to do with imagination and will.
Arkanon's domain is nature, primal/druidic magic. His magic is instinctive, yet still governed by natural laws, and knowable through study and the passing on of wisdom.
Charach's domain is artifice, arcane/"mortal" magic. His magic is that of artifice, geometrical, the exploitation of rules even more fundamental than Arkanon's.
Joldei's domain is some sort of bizarre... something. I'm sure you can figure out something.

I'm not trying to dictate anything, just seeing if that makes sense - it's the vibe I got from the initial descriptions.

Edit: Ok, I posted Senea.
There are some very fundamental aspects of the dynamics between the gods that I detail in that post, so you should really read it and figure out what you disagree with.
I can definitely change things, I just found it hard to write certain parts without dictating what the other gods were doing at the time.

Last edited by zachol; 31st of October, 2009 at 01:26.
Unread 31st of October, 2009, 07:31
LeadPal

Shimmerwings, an amazingly beautiful and long-lived race of bird-people. Take the place of elves.
Perhaps a race of dragonfly-people, that developed naturally from some of Joldei's other creations, now typically worshiping Senea or Arkanon. They were reasonably common in the Second Age, but are in decline by the Third. Very spindly and fragile, and noted for exceptional eyesight. Shimmerwings have a second set of arms, but neither set is very strong or coordinated--while very advanced (high-level) combat styles can make them effective independently, they're generally used together, as if they were one pair.

Joldei's domain is some sort of bizarre... something. I'm sure you can figure out something.
Joldei's magic is broken, actually overwriting the rules of reality and corrupting everything it affects into something more to the Intruder's liking. The aboleth are the primary practitioners of this tainted magic.
Unread 31st of October, 2009, 09:45
LeadPal

Created a special thread with most of the current info on races into the thread, along with some occasional speculation. Feel free to add more races, and especially more monsters.
Unread 31st of October, 2009, 20:06
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Doing a sort of split/merge thing.

What I formerly called Shimmerwings are now "High Tengu," as opposed to "Low Tengu."
"Shimmerwings" are the strange fey/insect-like beings.

Last edited by zachol; 31st of October, 2009 at 20:18.
Unread 31st of October, 2009, 20:17
LeadPal

That works. I had some inspiration, and will put up some rough Shimmerwing stats, in 4e.
Unread 31st of October, 2009, 20:19
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Also edited humans a little bit. The idea is that they have balanced psychological aspects often associated with each of the four gods.
Generally, each race tends to err a little bit on the side of their creator god - Arkanon's creations tend to simply "live," Charach's are obsessed with rules, Senea's are too flighty and chaotic, and Joldei's are too aggressive and adversarial. Humans balance these aspects in a way that allows them to be very common.
Unread 1st of November, 2009, 00:15
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Added a cosmology bit.

Randomly called the world "Eyen."
I don't care that much what we call the world, but I'd rather it not be called "Being." At the least, let's refer to it as "the world" or something.

Edit: The world is a globe, and its axis of rotation rotates itself, such that one pole is always pointing towards the sun (the southern), and the other away (the northern). The north pole zone is locked in eternal night, and the great northern Twilight Forest in, well, eternal twilight.
This is all to accommodate the idea that Senea's realm is this Twilight Forest, and she lives at the north pole, which is insanely cold.
If we want, we can just make the world flat, and say that the northern part is locked in constant night and twilight, that the sun's chariot (or whatever) only travels over the southern bits.

Last edited by zachol; 1st of November, 2009 at 00:37.
Unread 1st of November, 2009, 21:29
LeadPal

"Eyen" is a fine name. I think "Being" should still be a synonym for the world, though. It reminds me of "Planet" from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Seasons can still exist in this world--they would just be milder, and based on a greater difference between perihelion and aphelion. This does mean that both the cold northern hemisphere and the warm southern hemisphere would have the same seasons.

The south pole is comprised almost entirely of an ocean too warm to have the oxygen to support Earth-like life. It's probably the domain of extremely powerful monsters, such as dragons and the Pillars. Heat would largely spiral outwards from the pole, probably making convection overly intense; perhaps this could be softened by reducing Eyen's axial tilt, so the sun hangs lower over the pole. The spiralling weather patterns would never quite make it to the end of the Twilight Forest, and so the northern reaches of Senea's domain have an eternally clear, starry sky.
Unread 2nd of November, 2009, 14:15
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

I mentioned the Southern ocean in a little bit about moons. I'm not overly fond of the names. I also figured the twilight caused by the larger moon could tie into the Twilight Forest, since otherwise without that it would be perpetually night, so that way every year there are a few 'days' in the Twilight Forest. Perhaps they would be important in terms of Godly meetings or simply times of increased animal or human activity in the Forest.

EDIT: I misread, it turns out the pole itself is in eternal night, not the Forest. Feel free to edit or delete the moons, since my idea is rendered somewhat moot. I do like the idea of having more than one celestial body visible at night. A neighboring planet, perhaps?

Last edited by Candleman; 2nd of November, 2009 at 14:17.
Unread 2nd of November, 2009, 16:33
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

The pole itself, and about 1-2 degrees of latitude (out of the northern 90 degrees) are locked in night, all the time. The most light they get is from the moon, and because of orbits, etc, it is very rare that either moon lights up the northern area. When it does, Senea's ice palace gets lit up impressively.

There are some fifteen planets total in the system: seven terrestrial planets within the great belt, and eight gas giants outside of it. The three nearer terrestrial planets, Geven, Mai and Iselphus are all relatively visible at various times in the night sky, similar to our Venus and Mars. Some of the gas giants are also visible, but they are no stronger than any individual star.
Unread 4th of November, 2009, 02:37
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Do we want a separate thread for each race?
Unread 4th of November, 2009, 06:03
LeadPal

I think we do, especially once we get into the politics of each race. The Abeils are going to have a particularly long entry, that I know. Alternatively, every major race could get its own post in the race thread, with a link to each at the top.
Unread 4th of November, 2009, 14:24
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

"Significant" races with a lot of history get their own thread (Humans, Karon, Tengu, Abeils), and middle or minor races get either a post Fauna forum (Kapiev (rodent people), Beetle People), or possibly a thread with multiple entries (a "Fey beings" thread with Quicklings and Shimmerwings, an "Aberrations" thread with Aboleths and various other... things, etc).
Unread 13th of November, 2009, 23:25
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

So apparently Tengu are Japanese or something.
Unread 15th of November, 2009, 06:01
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

And quicklings are up.

The idea shifted a little bit, so now quicklings have a very solid hive-mind thing. Groups of quicklings share a single mind.
They're not really appropriate for PCs, really.
Unread 17th of November, 2009, 08:02
LeadPal

Hey Candleman, have you developed any more thoughts on Arkanon?
Unread 17th of November, 2009, 11:45
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

Yeah, I am working on a long lore post for him as well. I've been somewhat swamped, thanks to the end of the quarter/swine flu, but I'll be getting back into the swing of things shortly.