Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 15th of July, 2004, 13:29
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #152
Rolemaster FRP: Interested?

I recently picked up the hardcover Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplaying rules, and I'm wondering if any of you are interested in playing with that ruleset.

Unlike D&D or White Wolf games, this system is not really for the uninitiated; it has a LOT of rules, skill choices, charts to reference, options, etc. While it is possible to jump in -- by giving me a concept and letting me mold your character (initially, at least), it can be difficult to figure out how the numbers work together.

Once you get the hang of it, though, you have a well-detailed system that has a nice, thick layer of realism on top.

I don't have a specific setting in mind at the time -- likely, I'll just make something up and let the players contribute ideas as the game expands. I think a group of three, maybe four PCs should do just fine. Any more would make it hard to keep track of things; if you've done RM, you know what I mean.

Since I only have the one book (for now), some options may not be available. If I get enough interest, I'll try to summarize what you CAN do.

Interested?
Unread 15th of July, 2004, 20:14
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Member: #682
Rolemaster aka Chart Master to us fans....

Hmm, long time Rolemaster and Middle-Earth RPG gm and player. The FRP is a newer version of Rolemaster, so I'm not sure how compatiable my older books are, but might be interested if I can use them.

Lando
Unread 16th of July, 2004, 12:03
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

You'd have to keep in mind that I no longer have any of those older books. I once possessed almost everything written for RM, though that was years ago. I'll allow suggestions for unlisted skills, but professions may be a little too complicated to reprint.

In case you're wondering, here's what RMFRP does have:
  • Five races (Common Men, High Men, Wood Elves, Dwarves, Halflings)
  • Nine professions (Fighter, Thief, Rogue, Cleric, Magician, Mentalist, Ranger, Dabbler, Bard)
  • About half of the skill categories (Armor, Artistic, Athletic, Awareness, Body Development, Combat Maneuvers, Communications, Crafts, Directed Spells, Influence, Lores, Martial Arts • Striking, Outdoor, Power Awareness, Power Point Development, Science/Analytic, Self Control, Subterfuge, Technical/Trade, Urban, Weapons)
  • One general table for static maneuvers (rather than a table specific to each category, which I miss)
  • Open, Closed, and Base spell lists for each realm and profession (though each only goes to level 10)
Some specifics I know are missing are details on magic items (though they have SOME information, RM is generally vague on that anyway), martial arts (and no warrior monks), high-level spells, and hybrid spellcasters. Still, there should be more than enough to get something relatively small going.
Unread 16th of July, 2004, 12:19
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Old vs New RM

“ Originally Posted by LonePaladin In magic items (though they have SOME information, RM is generally vague on that anyway), martial arts (and no warrior monks), high-level spells, and hybrid spellcasters. Still, there should be more than enough to get something relatively small going. ”
Sounds like they combined the simpler version of MERP with some classic RM to make their new FRP, which I heard both good and bad things about. I got all my classic books (Complete RM Spell/Character/Arms Laws), plus Companions I-VII and Elemental Law and Oriental Law and a few odds and ends. Plus about 25 MERP books too. I'd be open to trying it, have to see how much of it is still the same. Probably lean away from a magic wielder as it takes so long to do spells in RM unless I do something like Chaos magic.

Well, if you can find more players I'll see above digging out my books. Have run MERP not to long ago on OpenRPG so I have my books out and about.
Unread 16th of July, 2004, 15:04
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

I'm going to try to encourage at least one person to play a spellcaster, 'cause IMO they're so much more interesting than your standard fighter or rogue. Too many games with nothing but non-spell-users, I guess.
Unread 2nd of August, 2004, 16:19
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Time to bump this thread. Heh.

To encourage those of you who're new to the RM rules, I'll be handling most of the mechanics -- I'll even make characters for you, if you give me a nice, solid concept. I was thinking of using the Shadow World setting, but I'd have to go hunting for material on it; thus, I'm just going to home-brew the world and make it up as needed.

This can be a cooperative effort, if someone comes up with a cool idea to plug in.

This has the potential of being any sort of game you want: heavy roleplaying, hack-n-slash combat and spellslinging, deep-immersion storytelling, whatever. All I need is a small group (4 PCs, maybe five) with good concepts open for a standard fantasy setting.

C'mon, you know you wanna. Get away from the 20-sider for a while.
Unread 3rd of August, 2004, 11:31
ozman46
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #867
Haven't got the book yet but I have played the old version and liked it quite alot. I would be interested in getting in if there are any spots.

-John
Unread 3rd of August, 2004, 11:51
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

RoleMaster....aka Chartmaster/RollMaster to us fans

“ Originally Posted by LonePaladin This has the potential of being any sort of game you want: heavy roleplaying, hack-n-slash combat and spellslinging, deep-immersion storytelling, whatever. All I need is a small group (4 PCs, maybe five) with good concepts open for a standard fantasy setting.

C'mon, you know you wanna. Get away from the 20-sider for a while.
”
Shadow World is available as PDF downloads now from ICE and several online shops like RPG.now or something. I got a supplement or two somewhere. As for playing, I'm open to doing so, might need help with making a pc as I'm not sure how outdated my RM stuff is since I got lots of the original books and the Companions etc as I mentioned previously.

I've got lots of experience with RM and MERP and still play/run them on occasion. I would be interested in playing a mage or a warrior type, depending on the level and setting your using.

Would like to be a female human, either a wizard/mage/shaman/druid or a barbarian/ranger/paladin/warrior since I'm not sure one the classes used in the new version.

Lando

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 3rd of August, 2004 at 11:54.
Unread 3rd of August, 2004, 12:26
ozman46
Unanimated Corpse

Just got a hold of a java character generator for RMFRP though I don't know if it for this version of the game. If anyone is interested I can post the link for it.

-John
Unread 3rd of August, 2004, 16:31
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Please do! For those of you with older books, or little familiarity with the game, just get me a character concept with a really good description of the character's abilities, and I'll work out the numbers. Also, I would really like to see some spell-users in the game, so long as you're willing to accept that the D&D magic system does not apply here. Magic missile doesn't exist as such, and spellcasters generally need time to perform tougher spells (which, at low level, is most of 'em).

Given that caveat, I will NOT screw anyone who plays a spellcaster. Honest.
Unread 3rd of August, 2004, 18:17
ozman46
Unanimated Corpse

Here is the link to the generator:

http://www.geocities.com/fgreen.geo/mcrg/index.html

Also I am interested in playing an wood elf ranger. Since I don't have the book might I prevale upon you to help me get a character together?

-John
Unread 4th of August, 2004, 03:31
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

No problem. All I need is a description and background. Don't worry about making it fit a setting; we can make up details (like names and geography) as needed.
Unread 4th of August, 2004, 03:45
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

“ Originally Posted by ozman46 Here is the link to the generator: ”
Looks like the download portion of the site's down. Do you still have the installer file?
Unread 4th of August, 2004, 03:56
ozman46
Unanimated Corpse

Try this one it worked for me: http://fgreen.silent-tower.org/Role.exe
Unread 4th of August, 2004, 14:47
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Um, that's the link that's not working.
Unread 4th of August, 2004, 23:19
ozman46
Unanimated Corpse

How would yu like me to send it to you?

-John
Unread 5th of August, 2004, 02:36
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

If the file's small enough, e-mail it to me. My address is HeroForge@sbcglobal.net. If it's too big, I'll see if I can come up with another way to get it.
Unread 5th of August, 2004, 08:18
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

RM Software

“ Originally Posted by LonePaladin If the file's small enough, e-mail it to me. My address is HeroForge@sbcglobal.net. If it's too big, I'll see if I can come up with another way to get it. ”
This appears to be the correct page. I got a high speed connection and will get it.

http://www.geocities.com/fgreen.geo/mcrg/download2.html

Well, evidently this site has some problems as the page doesn't load and it won't download. Ohwell.

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 5th of August, 2004 at 08:32.
Unread 6th of August, 2004, 02:16
Zeff
Ghoul

Member: #582
Ahh...Chartmaster! I too am a role-play fossil who used to have many ICE books, and I still have the RoleMaster box set in French! (saw it in a store on the Champs-Elysee' and couldn't resist)

So, (damn comma's) there are no hybrid spell users in the new game? I'll miss seeing an astrologer character class. (they were astrologer, sorceror, and mystic, right?) Though I never had a chance to play RM much, I liked the concept of the spell list, which takes a basic spell concept (Fire Law) and expanded on it through 10 levels. So it's sorta like having a single spell that gets better as you level up. I really liked the classic MERP flavor, which translated to RM well.

Do I have the time? (I would play a spell-user, definately) Gimme a sec to think about it.

Theme idea: A land where the rulers keep a tight grip on the use of magic, slaying or imprisoning anyone who exhibits the gift for magic (any of the three kinds), and allowing only a corrupt priesthood the use of the power, and they use it to hunt down rogues who make the mistake of wielding magic in the open.
Unread 6th of August, 2004, 06:08
fgreen789
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #871
I'm sorry about the web site. I'm the guy who writes that software. Don't be alarmed. I probably find out about every conversation that takes place on the internet about my software. Is that spooky?

Anyway, there's not much I can do about it. The site has worked pretty well for a year and a half, and I refuse to pay money to have it hosted. Something about paying to give something away just doesn't make sense to me...

I hope your game works out. Rolemaster rules!
Unread 6th of August, 2004, 11:31
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Druid/shaman....

“ Originally Posted by LonePaladin to accept that the D&D magic system does not apply here. Magic missile doesn't exist as such, and spellcasters generally need time to perform tougher spells (which, at low level, is most of 'em).

Given that caveat, I will NOT screw anyone who plays a spellcaster. Honest.
”
Well the PDF download of the rulebook is only half the retail price of the book, so I'll probably end up getting the newer version after we've played a bit. I've been pondering a character concept. Not sure what professions are available off hand, but I'd like to try a shaman/druid type pc, most likely a channeling spell wielder with skills in herbalism, animals, plants, nature lores, healing, etc. A female human or female elf perhaps, fair and beautiful.... pondering names, and stealing names from books/movies and such. Any thoughts on your game world? My pc would like to live in a lush forest, probably is part of a coven or a solitary protector of a sacred glen/grove and a virgin. Perhaps a unicorn is her friend?

Ever see "The LAst Unicorn"?

Lando