Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > BigRedRod's Games > City of the Dead > Dagern Travels > The long long ago

Closed Thread
Unread 17th of September, 2002, 18:33
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Chapter 2 - Another Perfect Day

The morning daylight is straming through windows when there is a prompt knock at the door, it is the serving boy informing you that breakfast will be served at the rear of the villa in the gardens this morning. The boy also brings hot water so that each of you may wash.
The boy is rather startled to see what appears to a wolf in one of the rooms, he talks quickly and moves along to the next room.

Rizeth indicates some chairs around a circular table, the table is outside on a slightly raised terrace, the garden stretches for quite some distance at the rear of the villa. The table has quite a few different foods in the centre, two types of different porridge (one being much darker and thicker than the other), bread, mixed sliced fruit (you can make out a wide selection that should not normally be available at this time of year), boiled eggs, various preserves, honey and a large jug of milk, there is also a fair-sized pot of tea.
"Please sit, eat with me on this fine Kythorn morn. It is not right to discuss the business of the day before one has eaten."
The serving boy who awoke you stands next to Rizeth, but the wizard dismisses him as you are seated.

[ooc: your experience is at the end of Chapter 1, add it onto your sheets]
Unread 17th of September, 2002, 18:51
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

Member: #131
Algerdar wakes very happy, the previous days worries have left him. He welcomes the boy into the room and accepts the hot water and cleans himself before this mornings breakfast.

"Thankyou, I will be down soon."

He makes his way down to breakfast, a smile of content clearly seen upon his face. He looks around at the spread and a grin rises ear to ear.

"My my Rizeth, you have certainly out done yourself this morning. This meal is fit for a king. Indeed food first..........business later....."

Algerdar replies quickly, eager to eat.
Unread 18th of September, 2002, 00:18
SuperJosh
Vampire Spawn

Member: #133
Roth wakes and washes with the water left by the servant. He then dresses and prepares to go down stairs. After he feels presentable he strolls to the back of the villa with Sy trailing closely behind. "That's a good boy. Are you as hungery as I am? No, you are probably hungrier." He says as they approch the table.

He seats himself directly across from their host, motions for Sy to sit at his feet and listens patiently to Master Rizeth and Algerdar. "Indeed, my comrade is correct, Master Rizeth, you do set a fine table, and it has been long since I have had anything but broth and hardtack to eat." He says as he starts helping himself to the feast that has been provided him. He takes a slice of bread, some preserves, a sampling of the some of the more exotic fruits, two eggs, and some of the lighter porridge which he sweetens with some honey. He then pours himself a glass of milk and grabs two more eggs which he slips to Sy. "I know it is not the steak I promised you, boy. But it will have to do for now." He says half to the dog.
Unread 18th of September, 2002, 11:28
Dust
Mummy

Member: #54
Dron is up slow to get up in the morning, savoring the feeling of a bed underneath his back. Although he has been awake since the first light of dawn, he doesn't leave his fluffy sanctuary until the serving boy knocks on his door.

After being forced from his bed, Dron spends a long time in his room sitting on the floor and looking out of the expansive windows in his room. With his back braced against the bed frame, he just enjoys the view and tries to clear his mind of worries. When finally he is roused by his grumbling stomach, he finds that sometime during his thoughts he has drawn his dagger and has been spinning it absently through his hand and over his knuckles. He gets up and sheathes his dagger, turning away from the sunlit windows and heading out of his room.

When he reaches villa, Dron his extremely happy to find the best meal he has ever seen since the Hagland Massacre waiting for him. He dimly notices Master Rizeth, Algerdar and Roth, but pays them little mind. He quickly sits down at the table and starts grabbing a little bit of everything in sight, shoving it into his mouth without bothering to use utensils when at all possible.
Unread 18th of September, 2002, 12:28
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

Shoving food into his mouth like there is no tommorow, Algerdar tears himself away from the food long enough to ask Rizeth a question.

"I was wondering...........would it be possible to borrow some of your old spellbooks and copy some of the spells within into my own? Since I lost my own I have very few spells in my repetoire."

He then begins to shovel food into his mouth once again.
Unread 18th of September, 2002, 17:01
BigRedRod

"No problem at all, losing a book of spells is always a tragedy. For a nominal fee of course, but we can negotiate that."

Rizeth does not eat all that much, he seems to sit in observation of his five guests. He glancs at Sy occasionally but makes no comment.
When everyone has finished eating Rizeth begins to speak,
"Firstly, I would like to thank you for collecting the energysts, I am sure that their study will be most fruitful. As we agreed I will pay you one hundred and thirty gold pieces for each that you recovered, you said there were three. So that brings your payment to three hundred and ninety pieces. Do you have them with you now? If not would one of you be as so kind as to fetch them."
Rizeth looks at the four but mainly seems to adress the request to fetch them to Roth.
Unread 19th of September, 2002, 03:07
SuperJosh
Vampire Spawn

Roth stands up, "I have them, but I have left them in my pack in my room. If I may be excused for a moment I shall retrieve them." He says then turns to go to his room. Before he leaves he makes a gesture to Sy that means 'stay'.

Roth walks away, half curious as to why it was HIM that was sent away, and half angered about being sent to retrieve them like a common servent. Once he is out of sight from the others he breaks into a run untill he reaches his room were he grabs the energyst then runs back to where he deems he could not be seen, pauses a moment to gain his breathe, then walks back to the table.

(OOC I am just assuming I have all the energysts to make it easier, if anyone has a problem with this please let me know.)
Unread 21st of September, 2002, 07:12
BigRedRod

[ooc: yeah that's fine]

Rizeth makes idle small talk about his gardens and the difficulties that are being thrust upon him by the townspeople, it sounds like he is the town leader. From his talking it sounds like he looks at the townspeople almost as his children

Roth returns carrying the three gems, Rizeth smiles and stands to take them from him, he examines each briefly and places it on the table before him, finally he hands Roth a rather small bag and sits down,
"That's thirty-nine platinum coins, I thought they would be easier for to lug around than gold, those coins get very heavy."
Rizeth sits for a while looking rather distant for a moment before he speaks again,
"I have a problem. Yesterday afternoon I recieved word that a mine about a day to the east, which I own, was attacked by a band of monsters. Several of the men who worked for me are dead. "
The old man speaks in a saddened tone, it sounds like he actually cared for his miners
"I want the vermin out of my property, I want the families and friends of those that were murdered to feel that justice has been done, and if it is at all possible I want to know why they attacked a mine. It doesn't make sense to me. Will you help me?"
The wizard looks at each of you
Unread 21st of September, 2002, 12:39
SuperJosh
Vampire Spawn

"I can not speak for my companions," Roth says as he takes a seat and scratch's Sy's head, "But I have nothing else to do now, and would be glad to help you." Roth reclines in his seat content to let Dron handle the haggling if the others decide to caste their lot with Rizeth and his mine also.
Unread 22nd of September, 2002, 05:03
Dust
Mummy

Dron leans back in his seat with a great sigh, taking a break from cramming food into his mouth.

"It's gonna cost you," he says, "if we're out to kill monsters, that means that we're taking a serious risk with our lives. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea even if you payed us, say... 500 gp each. I, for one, have enough platinum in my pocket to last me for at least a month, more if I'm on the road. It's not as if I'm in dire need. Even for that much extra gold, the risk is great. You can't spend it when you're dead."
Unread 22nd of September, 2002, 05:50
BigRedRod

Rizeth nods as Dron speaks
"I am in dire need ... , I will admit I do not know how many of them, or exactly what they are. The message implied they could be little more than goblins ... but who ever heard of organised goblins, eh?"
The man gives a short nervous laugh and quikcly straightens his face
"They traditionally live in little clans, eating fungus and rats, only risking attacking anything if it looks far weaker than them. The thing that worries me is whatever is in there must expect some retaliation, and it must believe it can handle it."
Rizeth sighs slightly and rubs the back of his left hand
"I am glad you are considering aiding me in this troublesome matter. Perhaps an amount based on the number that you remove from the mine will be more agreeable? Will sixty gold pieces per creature you exterminate from the mines be sufficent, along with a bit extra depending on how much you find out about why they did it and what they want. Of course if they are something a good sight stronger than goblins, I'll increase the price on it's head accordingly."
Unread 22nd of September, 2002, 15:17
SuperJosh
Vampire Spawn

Roth watches the play between Dron and Rizith with both intrest and intrege, yet he can not help but feel sorry for Rizeth, and be a little ashamed of himself as he thinks about how Dron is using this likable mans need to increase their own gain. "Oh well,' he thinks, "I guess this is why I am not a good negotiator."
Unread 22nd of September, 2002, 16:20
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

"Just to add, I would like to be able to copy from of your spellbooks, free of charge. Do not worry they won't be anything more then lesser spells of course."

Algerdar watches on waiting for Rizeth's reply.
Unread 22nd of September, 2002, 19:34
BigRedRod

Rizeth's face is a mask of shock,
"On top of the money I have already offered, you wish to have unlimited access to all of my spellbooks!? Let us make a compromise ..."
He looks at the dwarf,
"I suppose you will also want to use my spellbooks"
The dwarf nods
"Ok, then I will lower the price per head to thirty-five, and upon your return you may both have a full tenday of access to my spellbooks. This task of the upmost urgency, I cannot allow you to spend several days here learning new magics before you deal with the creatures in the mine. Does this new arrangement please you?"
Unread 22nd of September, 2002, 22:44
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

"I am happy with such an arrangement, how about the rest of you?"

Algerdar sits back in his chair rather content, thinking of regaining lost arcane knowledge.
Unread 23rd of September, 2002, 04:18
SuperJosh
Vampire Spawn

"If you will excuse us for a moment Master Rizeth, I feel I must confer with my companions in private for a moment." With this Roth and the others walk just out of ear shot.

"I can not help but feel that I am getting the camels ass out of this deal. First Algerdar and Durn get spellbooks, as part of our 'equipment' money, then we have to spend a quarter of the rest of our money on compontent pouches and writing supplies, at the same time Dron spends another third of our money on 'tools'. Buy the time you three had gotten your special needs filled their was not enough money for me to get a decent sword. I understand that everyone lost things that were valuable to them in the raid, so I said nothing, not even when the remaining money was split four ways." With this he looks at Dron, "You DID give them their share back didn't you?" he asks, then continues with his speech, "Now, however, I AM saying something. I am truly sorry that you lost all your spells, and I understand the need to get new ones, but I should not have to suffer for your misfortune, I am already suffering for mine. You are content to cut the prize per head fully in HALF so that you can have access to his spellbooks. Do you think I do not know who is going to be on the front line, protecting you while you toss your tricks? It is I who will take the brunt of the attack while you stand behind me. No, if you want to bargin for spells, use your money, not mine. Ask him if he will lower the price of his spells, not lower my reward."

Roth stands their a minute, looking at his companions then opens his mouth again. "There is, now that I think about it, one way that I would agree to this. That would be that I get HALF of the thirty five gold a head and half of whatever we get for any information or bonus that might come to us at the end of the assignment. You can split the other half however you like." With this Roth stands back and waits for his companions replies.
Unread 23rd of September, 2002, 04:59
Dust
Mummy

Dron grimaces at the conversation.

"It's a sword you want?" he asks, "well then, why don't you ask for one? Let's say thirty-five per head, but only if we're provided with a couple of fine weapons. I could use a nice rapier myself. That might even things out, and it would make us better prepared to fight."
Unread 23rd of September, 2002, 11:11
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

"You want a sword, here have this one. I cannot even use the blasted thing."

Algerdar offers up his longsword, it is of normal size for a human.
Unread 23rd of September, 2002, 16:41
SuperJosh
Vampire Spawn

"Thanks for the offer Algerdar, but that sword is remarkabley like the one I am using now. Thinking all swords are alike is the same as thinking all spells are alike. These swords a puny, things that you can not get much power behind for fear of breaking them, plus the straight blade is all wrong, it is awkward and does not inflict as deep of a wound." Roth says to Algerdar before turning to Dron, "As far as having Rizeth add a sword into the deal, it would have to meet my standards, or no deal. I won't go into battle with a flawed weapon, or for no gain unless I am forced too."
Unread 24th of September, 2002, 02:04
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
"Uhmmm...

In case you hadn't noticed our employer is not exactly the fighting type. It is likely that the only swords in this place all belong to his guards and they are not likely to part with them. If he does have any swords lying about, there is no garuntee that he will have one to meet your strigent standards."

Durn pauses to pop the rest of the egg he was eating into his mouth and then continues.

"I also understand that Algerdar's and my spell needs are eating up a fair bit of resources, but without them we are little more than goblin bait."

Turning to Algerdar, Durn adds, "I propose the following, if you are agreeable, Algerdar. The 35 per head be given to Roth and Dorn as their fair share of the original 60 that we were offered and Algerdar and I will settle for the access to Rizelth's spells. However, any bonuses we gain for information be split evenly among the party. I beleive this will be fair to all involeved."

Without waiting for a sign of acknowledgement from Algerdar, Durn turns back to Roth and Dron and adds, "I would also be willing to let the two of you equip yourself with appropriate weapons from our current reward of 39 platinum before we split it amongst the rest."

Durn looks from one party member to the other, awaiting agreement, and wipes the few scraps of egg from his mouth with the back of hand.
Unread 24th of September, 2002, 08:20
Dust
Mummy

Dron shrugs absently.

"I suppose that's agreeable," he says, "assuming we can find a decent weaponsmith around here."
Unread 24th of September, 2002, 09:38
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

"I agree with you, our spells are our livelly hood, simple coinage would not garner the same rewards as the arcane lore we would be exposed to"

With that Algerdar waits for further achknowledgement.
Unread 24th of September, 2002, 15:58
SuperJosh
Vampire Spawn

"While I appreciate your generosity, I can not accept this deal." Roth says with a grimance. "I made a deal with you three to split the reward for obtaining the energyst four ways, and I intend to do that. I will not break a promise to a friend. Other than that however, I find the deal acceptable, Dron and I split the 35 a head two ways, and we split any bonus four ways."

With this settled Roth leads the way back to Master Rizeth. "We fond your offer of 35 gold a head, along with allowing my companions access to your spellbooks, and a bonus for any information we may find more than generous Master Rizeth. Is there anything else you need to tell us? Besides the location of the mine of course." Roth asks as he sits down to nibble a bit of bread and through another egg to Sy.
Unread 25th of September, 2002, 01:07
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
As he heads back towards the table a rare smile breaks out across Durn's face. He sits back down and immediately dives back into the fresh fruit, though in a much more controled and polite manner this time.

After eating his way through two slices of apple while listening to Roth, Durn looks at Rizeth and says, "Actually, I believe that it would also be useful to know the mine's product. It would help us understand what the invaders were hoping to gain by taking it over."
Unread 25th of September, 2002, 05:07
BigRedRod

"Ah splendid, the mine is very easy to find. Head towards town, leave by the north gate and as you walk the road you will notice a number of trails leading eastwards towards the hills. Some are signp[osted, some are not, mine is, the signs reads something like 'Rizeth North Lodez Mining Camp", it should be clear enough. I don't own another mine in that area so you shouldn't see my name on anything else"
Rizeth listens to the dwarf and replies
"Copper, a little tin, but mainly copper. I doubt they are after the metal though, unless they are fanatics I suppose that need to build a large copper statue of their god. Hmmmm"
Rizeth gives a little laugh
"Are there anymore questions?"

Last edited by BigRedRod; 25th of September, 2002 at 05:10.
Closed Thread