Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > treehouse's Games > Mediorum

Unread 25th of August, 2012, 01:23
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Okay, I like that a lot. It isn't traditional feudalism at all, but there's room for some quirkiness in the Valerian landscape. Think about the following:

1) Who is 'in charge' in Callevus? Even if all citizens are equal, it stands to reason that one is more equal than the rest on account of having the most thugs (or whatever).

2) How does the Faith fit into the equation? They are a fixture of every civilized area.

3) How does Callevus interact with other nations? The idea for Valeria right now is that the original city-states either became the capitals of nations or were subsumed by a more powerful neighbor. Callevus is one of the former, so you need to justify that in the write-up. How does it fend off the advances of militaristic neighbors? Does it have any strong alliances?

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 25th of August, 2012, 01:59
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Still poking at it.

Also, I'm thinking the lake floods during the spring, when the melt from the mountains comes down. The whole city just floats up, and the banks overflow. Early on, they just built a little bit inland, but that was inconvenient for a variety of reasons.

There're three important people.
One is the Var, named after Bhar, the founder. He leads the military and makes short term decisions, and is in control during war. A new one gets elected every two years, and a 3/4 majority can have him executed. The Var tends to be serious and unpopular. Nobody wants to be the Var. People listen to the Var in the middle of an assembly, when he uses the serious voice and yells. Generally, the Var is taken from the military. An effective commander gets picked, leads for many uneventful years, until eventually there's a crisis. Then, he uses the serious voice, yells at people, gets stuff done, and then quietly and discreetly doesn't get re-elected, in favor of some other effective military commander.
Second is whoever has the most money and throws the best parties. At the moment this is the Count van der Haalse. He is one of the three major Counts that owns a lot of the land on the ring (the shore). Generally the popular one is one of the Counts, though sometimes some Duke or Baron or whatever blows a lot of money and becomes the center of attention for a few years before fading into obscurity. They "suggest" policy, and the people who like them go along with it. There's a direct correlation between being popular and having your suggestions put into effect, since if you're popular people listen to you, and thus vote the way you suggest.
Third is the leader of the Guild of Traders and Merchants. The merchants elect this person among themselves, though he stays in office for fairly long stretches of time. This person might not even be a citizen, depending on the situation. Much of Callevus' current wealth and power is made up of their merchants, controlling trade among the northern states.

Violence and assassination within the city and among citizens is actually entirely frowned upon. People get very upset when they find out about it, and nobody tolerates it.

Everyone is very faithful, there are several churches along the ring. There isn't any room within Callevus proper, and the citizens are make sure to regularly travel back to the ring or to the church on their own personal land.
Well, not really, but some do, and the rest say they do. Bhar didn't really care about religion (he didn't really care about a lot of things). Most people do care, just not enough to actually go to church. Several private homes of particularly faithful citizens get used for worship, though the most faithful are also the most likely to go back to their land.

Originally, Callevus was just one town on the bank of the lake, and there were numerous other small noble holdings. They were in the process of being subsumed into Iscatha and Meirdos, depending mostly on being small and remote to retain their independence. Bhar and Callevus as a whole entered into a sort of mutual protection sort of deal; everyone had to get a boat and join the city, and any attacks on a citizen's land would get a response from everyone else. By insisting that everyone stay within the city proper, Bhar meant to foster unity and solidarity. It basically worked. Citizens within Callevus think little of land and noble titles, putting the city above it, but also are fiercely protective of private property, willing to band together against outside threats to their own and their neighbors' livelihoods.

Currently, Callevus has developed into a bunch of merchants. Many of the citizens rely on their land to produce a variety of things, and many trade between citizens and the other cities, or between one city to another (this isn't a clean division, most do both). Callevan merchants are very common, at least in the northern half of Valeria. They also tend to be the most daring in terms of exploring the coast of Jomren and the Sea of Lost Souls.
Quite a few times now, the current popular dude has suggested they charter a ship to go exploring west, somewhat jokingly, usually just to get a rise out of people or spark controversy and attention. The Var smacks these ideas down.

e: Sigrid could've very easily become the Var if she'd stayed in the military for another ten years instead of going back to become a Baroness. She was effective, a noble, rising in rank, and very serious. She would've served for maybe ten more years until some dumb shit blew up, yelled at everyone for another year or two, then would've been sent back to her land to retire as Baroness Anhalde in her mid 40's.

Last edited by zachol; 25th of August, 2012 at 02:44.
Unread 25th of August, 2012, 06:56
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
I'll try to get a start for my character up later today.

I decided to follow zachol's lead with the Finnish and Scandinavian theme.

Rouva, if I remember the Nordic History and Culture course I took in college, is the finnish version of the honorific Mrs., which developed from the word herratar. Herratar is a word from the feudal era that meant female fief holder or owner, IIRC.

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 25th of August, 2012 at 10:44.
Unread 25th of August, 2012, 11:16
treehouse

Looking good so far, Link.

I was looking through the archives in Inceptum and it seems that we used a 28 point buy system there (I thought 24 sounded wrong). So we're doing that.

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 25th of August, 2012, 11:42
Linklegacy77

Just to make sure I have this right (I've never actually played Iron Heroes before, despite having owned it for ages), there are no racial modifiers or bonuses for being human, it's just the default.
Unread 25th of August, 2012, 11:54
treehouse

Correct. You can get ability score bonuses and penalties from certain traits.

Unread 25th of August, 2012, 12:21
Linklegacy77

So, let me make sure I understand your wealth restriction: if we can make a good argument why our character would have it, given the character's history, we can have it?
Unread 25th of August, 2012, 13:06
treehouse

Yep! Wealth doesn't really increase a character's numeric abilities in Iron Heroes (no magic gear) so I am comfortable with PCs having wealth based on their background.

Unread 25th of August, 2012, 13:35
Linklegacy77

Alright well, I'll finish it up tomorrow I think.
Unread 25th of August, 2012, 13:58
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Yep, it' s Finnish. Various other holdings in the area have Scandinavian themes going on, and Callevus itself will have some more Dutch sounding nonsense (van der Haalse) along with the Scandinavian.
I don't know what "Anhalde" is supposed to be, though.
Unread 26th of August, 2012, 00:47
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
I was at a concert all day yesterday, so I'll try to start working on the bravo later today. Still sort of recovering. My ears are a little wonky this morning.
Unread 26th of August, 2012, 08:54
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Mechanical skeleton is up. Still have to do skills, equipment, background, etc. Miltos will not be a native of Callevos, but will more likely come from a more aquatic background, one where heavier armor would be uncommon (heavy weight at sea is bad), and a place that would cater to a relatively intelligent, charismatic and brash swordsman who dances around the enemy.
Unread 27th of August, 2012, 02:15
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Ah ha - he's Iscathan, trained at Ikail's School of Fence until he left in disgrace. During a duel to first blood, he took a seemingly innocuous scratch after stumbling on a loose cobblestone, but it was enough to draw blood. Unable to believe he was inept enough to simply trip, in a fit of ostentatious pride Miltos maintained that the cobble had been purposely loosened, in effect calling his opponent a cheater. Before the other dueler could really protest, Miltos pressed forward and slashed across his opponent's cheek, breaking the agreed upon rules of the duel, and ended up killing the other swordsman.

Miltos attempted to go back to the school's barracks room, but was stopped at the door and sent on his way, with just the clothes he was wearing and the sword in his scabbard.
Unread 27th of August, 2012, 03:20
Linklegacy77

My character is more or less done, just putting on some of the finishing touches on stats, then I'll start thinking more about the backstory and try to get a write-up to read.
Unread 27th of August, 2012, 04:43
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
I will be without home internet until the sixth apparently. So that pretty much pushes the windowe of me doing anything mechanical back until then.

I will keep rubbing my chin and thinking about the concept though
Unread 27th of August, 2012, 20:17
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

So what's the population of Valeria like, anyway? I'm trying to get a handle on how big stuff is, mainly because I want to have a sense of how many people a Callevan Citizen is typically responsible for (and particularly how many people live in Sigrid's barony).
Currently I'm shooting for 179 Citizens (which each need to have a sizable bit of land and subjects), but then when I try to think about the total population across all of the Callevan holdings I get something like 200,000+. Sigrid would be on the low end, with a thousand people, and some would have a bit more.
Although that's just a big guess. Maybe something like 500 makes more sense?

Like, even geographically, how big is Valeria compared to, say, France?
Unread 28th of August, 2012, 00:19
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
There are population numbers for the major cities (at least how it was during Inceptum). You were still looking at a mostly rural population, even if wealth and power was concentrated in the cities.
Unread 28th of August, 2012, 02:16
treehouse

Valeria's population has had quite a boom in recent times. There is still war, famine and disease, but civilization is sufficiently advanced to mitigate these factors and allow major population growth (approximately quadrupled in the hundred years or so years between Inceptum and this campaign).

I'm still working on the timeline, and other things. It was a busy weekend what with a memorial service and first school assignments already due, but I have a good deal of content to post this week.

I like the character writeups so far! Merc - I'm going to adopt a Bravos-esque model for Corinport (cliche but whatever, some of my best friends are cliches), so you're right on the money.

Unread 8th of September, 2012, 04:06
treehouse

Just a reminder that our campaign begins next week. So if you are still working on characters you might post them soon. I would also like you to find a picture that is representative of what your character looks like so I can make tokens.

I'm thinking about hooks lately. I have one that sets up the first major scene quite nicely.

Sigrid (zachol) is in Corinport trying to get into the incense trade to shore up her faltering estate. She has some muscle (hardened veterans from the latest war with the Aelfendar) at her disposal, plenty of underdeveloped land, and little else. Ullr (Link) and BRR's character are retainers of Sigrid.

She's gotten in contact with Darius' character, who claims to be a merchant (he's also a notorious pirate unless Darius has changed his mind). Miltos (Mercutio) is currently keeping company with this guy.

Darius' character proposes an alliance - his ship fleet manned with Sigrid's soldiers will cross the Vast to the Far West to obtain exotic goods and return them to Valeria to make a fortune.

The only issue is, neither of them have enough gold on hand to fill the ship holds once they reach their destination. So Sigrid offers to take out a loan at the Bank of Corin, using a large portion of her estate as collateral.

If this hook is okay for you guys, the campaign begins at the Bank of Corin, as Sigrid and Darius' character attempt to convince a banker that this isn't a really stupid idea. The other characters are there are bodyguards. I'll leave the details (is Darius' character sincere or is he planning to pull a fast one on Sigrid? If so, are any of the other characters aware of this? etc.) up to you guys. Talk it out, think about it. And get those characters posted!

Last edited by treehouse; 8th of September, 2012 at 04:08.
Unread 8th of September, 2012, 06:16
Linklegacy77

I have no objection.

Also, an image for you:

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 8th of September, 2012 at 06:22.
Unread 8th of September, 2012, 15:54
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
I'm not dead, I'm just still without an internet connection. No idea what the hold up is, but they say 72 hours
Unread 8th of September, 2012, 21:12
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Man I can't find a good pic. I've got like four thousand character pics floating around and none of them stand out.

I mean there's this

but uhhhhhhh

Also that sounds like a neat hook.
I need to finish up my Callevus stuff. Should it go in its own thread?
Unread 8th of September, 2012, 21:44
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I'm having a tough time finding a rapier wielding lightly armored 30/40-ish-year-old male who doesn't look like Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone, Mandy Patinkin, Cary Elwes, Antonio Banderas, or, his namesake, Miltos Yerolemou.
Unread 8th of September, 2012, 21:51
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

I will get on that if you can find me a woman in heavy armor with a pike who doesn't have her boobs hanging out.
Okay that's unfair they're not all like that but still, damn.

Actually this is nice but a little small.

e: Or this. I think you get the idea.
What are these for, tokens? I can probably just find a face that's good.

Last edited by zachol; 8th of September, 2012 at 21:54.
Unread 8th of September, 2012, 22:01
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

There is always Laurana.