Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > treehouse's Games > Mediorum > Campaign Information

Unread 24th of September, 2012, 03:13
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
I read through that after my own complaints for the nerf to feinting, and yeah, I agree with you completely. I don't know if the author had some really munchkiny players or something, but both of those seem to be so nerfy as to make the tactics practically useless. I can't find a good reason to take either rapid shot as an archer or feinting for denying dex to AC. If you don't give up a shot and two tokens, your Rapid Shots are worse than not using Rapid Shot and just relying on iterative attacks instead.

On the same token, the nerf to feinting in combat means that I can only gain sneak attack on an attack effectively once per combat, which makes giving up a move and a full attack for one and only one attack a worthless tactic. Frankly, like I said, it obviates an entire method of sword-fighting. Fencing, which really is completely built on feints and counter-feints, becomes a tactic that is worse than simply standing still and hacking.

While I do like a lot of the changes to the classes, I'm finding that his thoughts on feats seem to be poorly designed.
Unread 24th of September, 2012, 04:50
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Looking over both of these chains now. Neither of them sounds right.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 24th of September, 2012, 04:58
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Right, so I've invented this old historical mercenary company that people no longer believe in. I haven't referred to any specific places or anything though.

In general The Steel Legion was the best private army money could buy. Their trademark involved keeping an air of mystery as to whether they were human (keeping flesh covered, not leaving bodies of their own on the field, spreading rumours, nifty helmets with flat diffuse visors). They were good to the extent where an intelligent observer would question how they could be turning a profit or why they were mercenaries at all when they could clearly take themselves a nice city. Mysterious motives aside, something happened and they vanished overnight. In the process they welched on a contract and a lord's men got massacred by orcs.

That was twenty years ago. Whatever caused their disappearance and abandonment of their students might well be over now.
Unread 24th of September, 2012, 15:03
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Updated Callevus. Whole lot of words, not really happy with them but whatever.
It's more stuff to reference than anything else. Might come up in the opening scene

I should probably take the time to figure out what Anhalde is like, seems more relevant.
Unread 25th of September, 2012, 09:54
treehouse

Okay, I've looked over both the Rapid Shot feat chain and the revised negate defense challenge rules, and I came to the same conclusion as you guys. I don't think the hacked versions are very well thought out. The author clearly has had some issues with archer builds in his own campaigns that might be influencing the redesign.

I really like the Iron Heroes Hack overall, but this is making me question the wisdom of adopting the entire thing. Did you guys notice anything else that was questionable while you were building your characters? Should we scale back to merely cherry picking the things we like from the Hack and ignoring the rest?

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 25th of September, 2012, 09:56
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I didn't notice anything else, but I also didn't read much that wasn't related to my character class and the feats. I read through Rapid Shot after Link posted his concerns, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time outside of that.
Unread 25th of September, 2012, 11:08
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
I only saw rapid shot and the stuff merc pointed out.

I think we should go with "Implement the whole thing, and change or revert specific things that seem bad".

That would mean reverting to the previous negate defense challenge and rapid shot, at least with regards to the penalty stuff. Make it so Rapid shot is a -2 penalty (and the 2 at once is a -4 penalty), just unnerf it. You could keep the special rapid shot shots too, as that wasn't an awful idea, just that the nerf was unnecessary.

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 25th of September, 2012 at 11:22.
Unread 27th of September, 2012, 03:23
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
I didn't notice any bits of the Hack that applied to my character (could well be I've missed things).

I'm happy to take a stance where we default to the Hack but remove/tweak specifics as we highlight them here.
Unread 27th of September, 2012, 08:42
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
There's a kind of silly nerf to Combat Reflexes 3 that makes it weirdly complex but otherwise I'm fine with the Hack. I've got other feats in mind anyway.
Unread 1st of October, 2012, 11:16
treehouse

Originally Posted by BigRedRod # I'm happy to take a stance where we default to the Hack but remove/tweak specifics as we highlight them here.
I think this is probably the best way to handle it. I would like to say I will take the time to vet every single entry but we all know that's not happening anytime soon.

Unread 8th of October, 2012, 13:41
Linklegacy77

Any definite decision on a change to rapid shot and the feinting stuff?
Unread 15th of October, 2012, 08:05
treehouse

Yes, we will go with the defaults on these rules rather than what is in the Hack.

Unread 15th of October, 2012, 10:46
Linklegacy77

To be fair, I prefer the hack changes to rapid shot with the exception of the -4 penalty part, which seems like a silly nerf. The other changes to the mastery (the change of the 4 mastery) seems like an interesting change.
Unread 16th of October, 2012, 12:08
treehouse

I got back to work on the new map of Kryth - specifically, the as-yet-unnamed continent that Valeria is on. Here is what I have so far:

The next step will be to begin defining elevations and waterways, but here is a very crude division of the continent by race/theme:

Blue - Valeria (humans)
Red - Dho'gresh Empire (orcs)
Purple - the Caelmathoni Lands (elves)
Yellow - the Lawless South (warmer lands once ruled by the janni)
Gray - a series of islands overrun by undead
Orange - an unexplored, wild jungle island

The black dot is Corinport, for current reference.

Unread 16th of October, 2012, 12:18
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Looks good. Based on your measurements, the Orange island is about 500 miles long by 90 miles wide (roughly Cuba), and the main continent is about 2000 miles at its widest and 2600 miles at its longest, which makes it roughly the size of Australia. Is that about what you were shooting for?

EDIT - you did a good job with the coastline. Was this done in CC3? How'd you fractalize the coast?
Unread 16th of October, 2012, 12:21
treehouse

Originally Posted by Mercutio # Looks good. Based on your measurements, the Orange island is about 500 miles long by 90 miles wide (roughly Cuba), and the main continent is about 2000 miles at its widest and 2600 miles at its longest, which makes it roughly the size of Australia. Is that about what you were shooting for?
Surprisingly yes. It took me eight takes to get it to something close to the right size.