Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Uncognitive Cackling

Unread 28th of December, 2003, 00:02
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
The Undying Thread of Boardgames

(www.cheapass.com)

So I recieved a fair few different cheapass games for Christmas (Freeloader, a handful of hip-pockets, two brawl decks and lord of the fries)
Now I'm not so impressed with the hip-pockets or Brawl.

But Freeloader. I fell in love with that game

So off I toddled to the site, and looked at what else seemed good. Four stood out
Kill/Save doctor lucky (all three)
The Great Brain Robbery
and Get out

All seem good but I was wondering if anyone had any experience

Also this seems a good place for me to ramble about board-games in general

A Game of Thrones and Settlers of Catan
Are they any good?
I'm tempted to pick them up. but as they're expensive I want reassurance and such.
Unread 28th of December, 2003, 05:02
LeeCHeSSS
Psionic Lich [Epic Admin]

Member: #1
Any but the historical Catan variant is good and definatly worth buying...

"Coolest Avatar Award™ 2005"-winner
Unread 28th of December, 2003, 14:54
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

Member: #111
Hours of fun in Catan. There's a local con over here that I go to every other year just to play Catan. They play at all hours of the day for three straight days. With multiple games, you can have a 12 player game or more! Seafarers is a good expansion, but I'm not too keen on Cities and Knights.
Unread 29th of December, 2003, 12:38
Cadogan Trahem
Ghostly Sage

Member: #4
I would like to have a cheapass game
Unread 29th of December, 2003, 12:46
BigRedRod

Originally posted by Cadogan Trahem
I would like to have a cheapass game
well, maybe if you work hard at school...

OR you could look at the name Cheapass
They're really cheap games!
mainly as they don't sell you the bits you need (it's part of the company philosophy)
of course shipping is always a bitch
so make friends and family order things!
Unread 29th of December, 2003, 14:18
The_Friendly_Fiend

Not so much of a problem for me. The guy who made them used to walk into the store and hand them over. I got one of the very first Lord of the Fries games he made. Loads of fun when you have a lot of people. Even more fun when you turn it into a drinking game!
Unread 14th of July, 2004, 04:18
BigRedRod

If anyone here has cube-farm (I believe that is what it's called) and understands the placement rules (about having a line to the lift, and the xample diagram) could you fill me in?

In other news :

- I should be getting settlers of Catan for my birthday

- I spent the weekend being a risk whore (won one game on my second round much the anger of the other players). With the right group it's a hell of a game despite being so simple

- I was wondering about opinions on the new fangled fancy set of risk I keep seeing (Risk 2040 is the name I think. Has a moon board and lots of extra rules). Does it rock the Casbah? There's another similar game being released by hasbro/wizards which is set in the sunny Med and invovles the Gods of various civilisations warring

-Civilisation the boardgame. It's very heavy and expensive, but is it good?

-Munchkin! The steve jackson game. It's a fun little cardgame indeedy

So yes, a multitude of boardgame related topics and questions. I thought i'd practice my thread necromancy rather than bang up a new one
Unread 15th of July, 2004, 04:31
The_Friendly_Fiend

Ah, Munchkin...a very simple, hilarious card game that can provide hours of entertainment. But beware of the Kung-Fu version, there are some combination of cards that are severely broken. They're more broken than some of the cheesy regular Munchkin card combinations.

I can't stress how great Settlers of Catan is. It's even more fun if you have enough players and games to combine map tiles for a large 7-8 player game. Seafarers is the only expansion that my friends and I use. The Knights expansion made the game a little too complex. Keeping it fairly simple is the best way to go. If you want a complex empire game, play Civilization.

If you get Munchkin, there's a fairly active yahoo group that supports the game. You can ask your questions, post your combinations, and get card input from players all over the world.
Unread 15th of July, 2004, 05:21
BigRedRod

I already have munchkin. Only played one game so far though (I could have won too if I'd just sold all my equipment in my last turn). I was most impressed with how much all of us enjoyed it (especially as none of them were geeks, only one of the other players could even vaguely understand the references made)

In the next week or so I expect I'll be having some kind of fiesta of boardgames. Hopefully certain people won't be invited (having a player whine through the gamegame and have have a tantrum when they lose is kinda counter productive).
Unread 17th of July, 2004, 21:59
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #488
Wonder who that could be. Monopoly is fun. and just proves what an evil capitolist bastard a person can be, especially when you start doing loans: "Sure you can pay me for landing on mayfair when you pass go, But there's a 10% Intrest charge."
Unread 18th of July, 2004, 00:21
BigRedRod

I've grown tired of Monopoly. Too many bad games have soured it and it descends into an argument more quickly than I usually enjoy

Risk is doing well with infrequent games (had one last night that sucked as I couldn't focus my attention, but this morning was great)

The second and third games of munchkin didn't pan out as well. With a greater understanding of the rules came more arguments about simple things and it feels oddly hopeless from time to time. But still it's a fun little one that deserves an occasional play
Unread 18th of July, 2004, 02:25
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
I'm still a big fan of Lord of the Risk, but it contains the same fatal flaws that any other variant of the game has: you can outnumber a drooling idiot ten to one and he can still beat you via constantly rolling box cars.

A Game of Thrones is perhaps my all-time favorite board game. If you can get four or five people together it can be a wonderful game. Less than that and it's a bit lacking. Although Fantasy Flight Games had to release an adjustment due to an unbalanced starting point for one of the houses.

Cattan rocks. I love that one too. Cities and Knights provides a nice changeup after you've played a lot of Seafarers.

Munchkin. Eh. It was novel at first, but now I can only stomach the occasoinal game of it. I just got so very tired of the Kneepads of Allure deciding the game.
Unread 18th of July, 2004, 18:22
The_Friendly_Fiend

Anyone play Talisman? It's a fun simple board game that you can make very complex by including the little add-ons. Games can last a fair amount of time if the heroes don't roll very well or get unlucky in drawing adventure cards. Strength or craft, you choose the route you're going to take. A very entertaining game when you set aside any pretense of trying to win and just focus on killing one another.
Unread 18th of July, 2004, 19:52
BigRedRod

Wasn't that a game made by Gamesworkshop shortly before they decided to go and prduce the stunning Warhammer Quest?

I may have to scour ebay for some of these old games actually. I could really do with collecting together a full set of WHQ, I'll just need to wait until it fades from the public eye slightly and becomes cheaper

I stumbled across this site for Necromunda, it has sections for most of the lesser GW games (not WHQ unfortunatly though). I was sent the link in reference to th latest rules version and so forth. If anyone still plays any of these it is worth a look
Unread 19th of July, 2004, 02:46
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Member: #512
Risk is great. Brittania is far better, although the omnipresent dice-rolling problem still applies.
Unread 19th of July, 2004, 03:09
BigRedRod

Dice-rolling problem?
Unread 19th of July, 2004, 05:10
The_Friendly_Fiend

Like in sports, defense can win you championships.

Necromunda is going through some changes. I think the newest edition fixes most of the glaring problems they had in the original product. I still hate Spyrers, but love juvie torpedoes.
Unread 19th of July, 2004, 07:06
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Not looked at the new necromunda yet, Spyrers are ok, redemptionists kick arse (should that be burn) but stealer cults will always be close to my heart
Unread 19th of July, 2004, 23:53
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
I visited the website but couldn't get a good fix on what exactly Necromunda is. It looks like nothing more than a Warhammer derivation.
Unread 20th of July, 2004, 06:45
The_Friendly_Fiend

It's a mix of D&D and Warhammer 40k. Your "gang" has a number of characters that gain experience as you play out the little combats. At certain levels of experience, you get new skills/abilities. Like D&D, if you're battling a more experienced group, you gain more experience points, even if you end up losing. The other thing is that characters can have wounds carry over. They can die. And in some cases get captured and held for ransom or even converted if you're captured by the Redemptionists. In all it's much more fun than playing normal 40K, and since you don't need an army of figures, the cost can be kept fairly low.
Unread 20th of July, 2004, 07:13
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

The game also moves faster (usually) as you only have a few persons per side, and as the gang developes character the models themselves end up heavily converted through advancement. You put on bionic limb replacements and new weapons so they hardly ever look the same.
Unread 21st of July, 2004, 03:18
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Member: #512
Converted... Gaz, put down the radioactive-green paint and come quietly!

Yes. Necromunda; twice the fun of 40K at a fraction of the cost.
Unread 1st of August, 2004, 08:21
BigRedRod

Risk Godstorm

As part of our new boardgame obsession we played a few games of the new risk flavour tonight. It feels most unlike risk and lacks the friendly atmosphere of the game. Very fun, shame they coloured two of the sets of pieces in near identical shades and there are no missions (the lack of missions is the cause of the unfriendly atmosphere)

Also :

Kill Doctor Lucky, Devil Bunny wants a ham and the great Brain Robbery. I found a store that stocks cheapass games in the UK!
So I should be able to whack through those in the next few days
Unread 1st of August, 2004, 08:56
Rockwolf
Vampire Spawn

Member: #763
I see a lot of people complain about the dice-rolling issue of risk, and how someone can seem to be on a lucky streak with the 2 defensive dice, and ties always go to the defender.

You can make some house rules to make combat a little more interesting, or you can just use different dice, we're all geeks here, I'm sure we all have at least 5 d20's laying around. Use those instead of d6's, with special rules for nat 20's and nat 1's. Think up interesting rules, playtest, and enjoy.
Unread 1st of August, 2004, 17:52
BigRedRod

Yes, one of the players complains that Risk is both based entirely too much on luck and isn't realistic enough. This resulted in him crafting a slew of poorly concieved house rules each with mechanics clunkier than the last
Pointing him to civilisation seems to have stopped his complaints for now

Although there are a few we came up with as a group and all seem to agree upon and enjoy
More sea routes : As We added a line from Pery to eastern australia. A line from the middle east to east africa. And a final extra line from Madagascar(sp?) to western australia.
We then increased the payoff the continents by one each (possibly two for Africa, I'm a little fuzzy)
The two very longer lines however require a dice roll before attacking across. On a 1, 2 or 3 you lose that many men. Some say this is the work of bad weather, I prefer sea monsters.

Line of contact and Capitals
Each player chooses a capital for this empire and marks it with a little red man (we have yet to play with six and I don't think anyone has ever played with red). The pre first round man placement continues as normal (either the slow 1 at a time, the slow 3 at a time, hidden placement or "Just whack them down" as whatever your rule version/fancy dictates). But after the first round you can no longer reinforce any land which does not have a line of unbroken friendly lands with your capital.

Revolution
This one is a varient that has yet to happen but gives an increased uncertainty and vindictive fun. Each risk card can be played as a set of three as per usual or on it's own if you meet two conditions.
Firstly it must be your "home continent" on the card(just pick them at the start, marking the one you want with a red man on the little score table in the bottom right). We will most likely adapt the rule shortly to be what continent your capital is in (there was also talk of being able to maneouver your capital). Second, you musn't own it
Playing the card then grants you control of the enemy land with men equal to the number they had.
It seems odd that Mr Realism agreed to this one