Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Uncognitive Cackling

Unread 29th of August, 2006, 03:55
stealthbanana
Spectre

Member: #386
The Poster Formerly Known As Oneiros

I return. It's been a hard, long summer, but I'm back. Most of you probably don't remember me. Good. Then you won't remember my games that failed in horrible sham- uh...

Anyway. I'll probably lurk for awhile. I'm in the mood to join a game, but I think I'm going to lurk and see how well I can handle that.

To all my old buddies - please oh god don't kill me. I had some business to take care of these past few months, and it has been a huge drain on my emotional state. I'm taking a -4 penalty to my dice pools here, man. I'm on my last limb. Maimed, as the oWoD fans would put it. Or was it crippled...

-Stealthbanana (Oneiros)
Unread 29th of August, 2006, 03:56
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Oh I remember. Oh yes, yes I do.

Heh. Hope everything worked out okay, or at least is returning to some semblance of normal for you.
Unread 29th of August, 2006, 04:06
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
I still hate you with a burning passion for letting the game with Basheer die. A sorcoror that tears of skeletons' heads deserves better!
Unread 29th of August, 2006, 04:09
stealthbanana
Spectre

Hey Rod! I'm sorry about Basheer. Did he ever find a home? He was a very cool character.

If not, than I vow that my first game here on ORP will be 3.5 ed. I'll run it as a one-shot, so I don't fail after the first 3 months or so.

I'll go draw Basheer and post it here in his honor. Be warned - I can't draw. I did love Basheer though. I have him here, in a tube.

I am also unaware of the current status of the scanner. Maybe I'll just paintshop him.
Unread 29th of August, 2006, 09:07
nightinverse
Vampiric Dwarven Psychologist [Epic GM]

Member: #1101
You naughty boy, you. We still care. You can still get in Greyscale if you want, as well.
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 02:41
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Member: #512
Originally Posted by BigRedRod I still hate you with a burning passion for letting the game with Basheer die. A sorcoror that tears of skeletons' heads deserves better!
And my Dwarf, you bastard!

Oh, er... and welcome back...
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 03:42
BigRedRod

How was that dwarf different from any of the six hundred others you've played on this site?

Basheer was a radical departure from my usual angsty warrior concept.
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 03:57
akiko
Zombie Bird [Epic]

Member: #1680
BRR=Angsty warrior? Naaaahhh.
<take it with a grain of salt. I've only joined 1 game with him and am joining another>
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 04:08
BigRedRod

Sometimes they wear eye shadow and cry about how nobody understands them while cutting themselves.
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 04:25
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Yeah, Lorek is SO emo.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 04:27
BigRedRod

He will be as soon as he finds a shop that sells eyeliner.
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 05:01
nightinverse

I think eyeliner should be an exotic poison in every setting that causes blindness and testicular shrinkage.
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 05:09
stealthbanana
Spectre

Hey! This is my thread!

I guess this is karmic retribution for commenting randomly in so many other threads.

Like when I got my thousandth post and interupted a random thread full of people I didn't know to celebrate. The admins quickly stepped in with teargas and delete commands to put me down before I could claim dominance.

I'll take you up on the Greyscale offer, NI, but I need to read through the d20 Modern SRD first.
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 07:14
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

My Dwarf was a Dwarf Ranger. How many fekking Dwarf Rangers have you ever seen?
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 07:19
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
I played a dwarf ranger once. I called him a caver though.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 07:29
BigRedRod

Originally Posted by The Alcotroll My Dwarf was a Dwarf Ranger. How many fekking Dwarf Rangers have you ever seen?
I have no memory at all of this character.
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 15:21
nightinverse

I've run two Dwarf Rangers, myself.
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 22:12
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Dwarf rangers are a dime a dozen - like drow who rebel against their heritage or huge barbarian men or all-powerful wizards who are the chosen of gods or dwarven druids who can only say, "Oo. Oi. Hee hee."
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 22:17
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Bah. Only Elves and Humans are Rangers, Dwarf Rangers are a rareity.

And yes, I too called him a Caver.
Unread 30th of August, 2006, 22:58
BigRedRod

Originally Posted by Mercutio Dwarf rangers are a dime a dozen - like drow who rebel against their heritage or huge barbarian men or all-powerful wizards who are the chosen of gods or dwarven druids who can only say, "Oo. Oi. Hee hee."
Really you can't play a Drow who doesn't rebel against his heritage unless you're playing an evil campaign (And those are the exception, not the rule). It doesn't make sense that a scrawny kid would become a barbarian, so I don't think it is fair to complain about those. I've also never seen anybody try an Elministor(sp?) clone, or just about any mage who was the chosen of the Gods.

I'm not even sure what you're referencing with the Dwarvern druid thing. In fact I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody play a dwarvern druid of any kind. And although I've heard of cavers it's news to me that Mr. Alcotroll was playing one in SB's old game.

So generally, I don't really agree with those being boring old overused concepts Then again, I avoid D&D fiction like the plague and I've had a fairly sheltered f2f existence.
Unread 31st of August, 2006, 00:03
akiko
Zombie Bird [Epic]

Member: #1680
I also stay away from D&D fiction but know that the dwarven druid is also from the Drizz't books. Didn't he have a brother or something too?
Unread 31st of August, 2006, 01:27
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Yes. Ivan and Pikel. They were originally in the Cleric Quintet but when those character met up with the Drizzt story characters, they fought with each other.

As to BRR - that's exactly why I hate drow as a player race. Drow, by their very nature, are evil - all of them. It was a rare few (two to be exact, in all of Menzoberranzan history) that weren't "evil" as we perceive it, but even one of those (Zaknafein) was still evil by D&D standards. He'd just be lawful evil vice chaotic evil like the other drow. Drizzt clones are ridiculous in principle, and it's a horrible thing to see.

Barbarian's don't have to be gigantic, almost 7-foot-tall, blond, Nordic men, though, do they? That's what I mean by huge - not as antithesis to scrawny weaklings.

I've seen plenty of people play "chosen" of the gods type mages - mostly at conventions. You want to see "boring old overused concepts"? Visit a con or two where you hear "He's a good drow, like Drizzt, but he uses maces instead of scimitars." Or something similar. It does happen, quite frequently. That's why I don't play with a large number of people I meet. I'm very selective. The groups I've been a part of have been good roleplayers: no clones.

It's like grizzled older dwarven fighters/clerics. We have enough Bruenor Battlehammers and Flint Fireforges to last until eternity. I'm kind of sick of seeing Thibbledorf Pwent dwarven battleragers too.

However - as I meant my original post as a joke, it seems others missed it completely. I haven't seen many dwarven rangers and was merely jumping on the bandwagon that showed people have played at least three different dwarven rangers before.
Unread 31st of August, 2006, 01:55
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
The other Drow player on Gaming Guardians and I like This rpg motivational poster. I giggled lotses.

He has an evil assassin--with a mage brother who ran off to join the church of Eilistraee, while I play a bard/cleric of Eilistraee (whose lost most of her cleric features, mainly divine spells, for IC reasons and easier playability in a freeform setting). I'm pretty sure we're not clones. Although I did see one horrific clone over on another forum, that doesn't allow players to use copyright material, so she changed the name of the char's parents from Drizzt and Caitie-Brie That one made me hurt.

Forgotten Realms includes Eilistraee worshippers for the exact reason that some Drow do break away from the majority of their race's mostly-evil mindset. The canon example is one city out of the hundreds in the Underdark, and those few on the surface for whatever reason. I think they try to stress the "wholly evil society" to make it harder for a GM to say "yes". But yeah, loads of people play them cuz of...Drizzt. I started playing my Drow cuz I was looking through the FR main book, found Eilistraee, and a concept sprang to mind. This was like, 3 years ago. I'm only now starting to read the Dark Elf trilogy; I've never read any of Salvatore's stuff otherwise. And I begin to see why, in this story of his early life, so many people classify Drizzt as a Mary Sue. He's too damn good and perfect at everything.

I had a GM before who was of the belief that while race/creature upbringing and society on the whole could be classified as "evil" or "good" and produce a majority of like-minded creatures, individual sentient beings are classified as such partially by free will, so weren't necessarily good or evil just cuz they were a certain species. Made life interesting in some regards, when people took for granted alignment as much as they did anything else out of the MM or other splats.
Unread 31st of August, 2006, 03:54
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Elistraee is fairly new in concept. She is totally new with third edition. She didn't exist when I started playing, and I avoid FR for the most part. I own PGtF but only because my DM loves FR and we are playing a Waterdeep city centered campaign.
Unread 31st of August, 2006, 04:05
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Eilistraee was introuduced in 2nd edition in the Drow Guidebook to FR. Ha!