Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Uncognitive Cackling

Unread 29th of November, 2005, 16:36
stealthbanana
Spectre

Member: #386
Dragon Quest VIII

Is anyone else as in love with this game as I am? This is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I love all the old school touches mixed with next generation graphics and mechanics.

What do you all think?
Unread 29th of November, 2005, 17:08
nightinverse
Vampiric Dwarven Psychologist [Epic GM]

Member: #1101
I can't believe they abandoned Dragon Warrior as the American title scheme after all these years, but aside from that I know little about it. I want it, but I think it's wasted on the PS2.

I'm personally a fan of old-school touches and graphics, combined with modern (That is to say, progressive) mechanics. Do you think I would like this title?
Unread 29th of November, 2005, 17:52
stealthbanana
Spectre

Yes, you of all people would like this title.

And the game was always supposed to be Dragon Quest, but some issues with TSR made Enix rename it Dragon Warrior in the US.

As for being wasted on the PS2, I don't see it on any other console. The PS2 is the RPG king, after all.

But once again, you would love this game NI.
Unread 29th of November, 2005, 19:05
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
For some strange reason the whole "facing the enemies head on while confronted by an awkward menu" system which the DW games employ has always caused my blood to boil. And I'm sure I don't need to go as far to point out the horrible art style they decided to use.

I think the more important discussion about this relates to the FFXII demo packagaed with it. Is it really as dissapointing as everybody is making out?
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 06:29
stealthbanana
Spectre

I thought the demo was alright. Tired of the whole real time thing though. I can't really say much about the game because all they did was include two dungeons with different characters. Oh, and one had "Wait Time" where the combat froze when you selected commands and the other had "Active Time" where the action continued while you selected commands. All and all, I think people are being a bit stupid about the demo. It's really not that bad compared to most other games, and in fact I found it rather entertaining.

And as for the awkward menu system of the Dragon Quest series, it's been revamped for the North American release. The encounters are a lot better this time around.

And I'm quite tired of this "I hate any game that's cell shaded" fad that's been going around.

Last edited by stealthbanana; 30th of November, 2005 at 06:31.
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 07:58
tyckspoon
Wraith

Member: #380
I haven't picked it up yet (I will when I'm back in me own house with my PS2), but I expect it'll be at least decent. If nothing else, Dragon Quest has carried on a tradition that's kind of hard to find in mainstream RPGs nowadays. It's -ing hard. Remember when Final Fantasy bosses had a real chance of killing you? Dragon Quest bosses still do (..all-party hit for half your HP..and they often act twice or more..yeah, ok, they're a bit cheap too.)
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 08:09
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
And I'm quite tired of this "I hate any game that's cell shaded" fad that's been going around.
That fad died when people realised that Zelda was still Zelda despite being Cel Shaded.
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 09:13
stealthbanana
Spectre

Well, the bosses in DQVIII aren't THAT hard. They will hit you're entire party for half HP, but they don't often act twice, and I've not seen a boss that acts three times.

THe only time a boss will act twice is if the boss goes last during a combat round and then manages to beat you in the next phase of initiative.

And yeah, the bosses will probably smash you to bits once or twice before you beat them, or at the very least give you that feeling that each turn could be your last.

That, and you don't have an automap. You'll get lost. It's quite fun. And they don't hold your hand on any of the sidequests - they are optional, worth doing, and very hard most of the time.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, DQ VIII is excellent. The last game in the series I played was Dragon Quest I, and I loved it. Now, 10+ years later I saw this title and decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did.
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 11:23
nightinverse
Vampiric Dwarven Psychologist [Epic GM]

Member: #1101
I recently bought a second copy of the first game, on a side note... for my NES. Far better system for gaming than my PS2.

You've sold me, I'll get it when I have the surplus cash and plow right in.
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 12:17
tyckspoon
Wraith

Member: #380
Mm. Well, the bosses in DQ VII damn well did get multiple turns. Ya just had to hope they didn't decide to 1) Blast the entire party twice, or 2) cut yer primary healer's head off before he got a chance to act.