Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Eidolon

Unread 20th of March, 2003, 01:27
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Okay, can we talk a little about the "sign up" process for this game?

I assume everybody has read the How to join thread. I put it up as a stop gap kind of solution - I just wanted something in place immediately to give us time to think about how we want to handle applications.

My intent was to essentially make it clear that entry into the game is pretty subjective, since that is essentially how we like to run things.

Any wording that needs to be changed, stuff that should be added or dropped? BlackPlauge has already mentioned that he'd like to see a background. I think it's a good idea to require one from prospective candidates - we could always waive the requirement for people we are familiar with but it will help us gauge people we don't know.

Also, I'm thinking maybe we ought to require them to post a character sheet along with the background. That should give us some insight into their style as well.
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 01:51
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
Created a new thread to deal with Cadrius' jail time and trial. I'm planning on handling the whole trial myself but if anyone's character shows up to it feel free to post your character's thoughts. Hell, one or two of you might even be called up for questioning.

BP, I tried working with Trak again. Hope I didn't go too far out of his character. I also made a somewhat strong statement about orcs in this world with that one phrase. Orcs have always impressed me as being more into honor than the other goblinoid races. Moreover, blood seems to be an important facet of their culture. Ah well, it's something that can be played with or discarded as you guys see fit.

On the sign up process, a background is pretty essential. Yes it's nice to be mysterious but I need something. I like having and OOC feel for the other characters in the game. A physical description is a must. Apart from a character sheet I'm not sure if I need to see anything else.
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 02:31
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

Member: #91
I like your post and the way you portrayed Trak.
May be just me being an old trekker, don't take it wrong, but he sort of reminds me of a Klingon: war is the way of the strong, the weak are legitimate prey, but it must be done with honor.

Agree with you on the application process, a feel for the new charachter is a must.

Portrait Adoption

Last edited by Maeko; 20th of March, 2003 at 02:39.
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 03:22
Gralhruk

Okay, more rules stuff.

I know, I know: we have a game to play . I'll get back to posting IC soon, I just really want to get this rules stuff straightened out and put to bed.

I made a couple of changes, specifically, I asked that people include a background and proposed character sheet with their application. Also, I included some information about how things work around here in general, in hopes that people won't start spouting rules at me over some perceived injustice in the future.

Thoughts? Comments?

At the very least, just say that they work for you so I know it's okay.
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 03:47
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
*considers how many times he has broken the rules*

I see no real problem with them
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 03:51
Cadrius

Hey, it works for me.
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 03:56
Maeko
Spectre [GM]

Member: #91
For me too!

Portrait Adoption
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 04:10
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Looks good from this end as well.
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 04:16
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Oh, and Cadrius, I like the way you've been playing Trak, so don't worry about a thing. In fact, I think, seeing as Cadrius has comfessed to the crime Trak is accused of, it may be best if you handle Trak's trial as well. At least for now.

When Blarth finally gets there (provided he doesn't die of shock first) I'll provide some input but until then you go ahead and carry that part of the story.
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 07:28
SponkleofInfini
Fluff Zombie [Epic]

Member: #131
I'm fine with it
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 07:44
Gralhruk

Okay, so that leaves Cadogan (and Mega, if he feels like commenting) as far as the application stuff goes.

Cadrius: I think the cell scenes have been excellent. I can only imagine what you have planned for a trial . Any idea when, in game time, that is going to start? Tomorrow seems soon but it might be best. It will kind of put us all on the same timeline - that is, we won't have to loiter around waiting for the trial. Or we could just skip ahead a few days, depending on what folks have in mind.

I put Shade to bed because, quite frankly, if she asked all the questions I have on my mind we'd be here for weeks before an hour of campaign time went by.
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 08:04
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

I've already posted Maren as saying that all trials were on hold for a bit, so jumping forward a couple of days might be best. Seeing as Cadogan started the whole curfew thing with his explosion perhaps a single post from him covering the conclusion of the investigation into it and the lifting of the curfew could jump us forward to the trials.

I think Blarth is going to follow Shade's lead at this point and head for bed. Things are just getting too crazy for him in the common room.
Unread 20th of March, 2003, 08:16
itches

Maren could of been lieing.

If we want to hold the trials soon.
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 02:07
Megamieuwsel
Vampiric Clown

Member: #6
Well... I'm kinda at a loss on the point of requirements for new players.
I have the feeling , it kinda defeats the original intent I had with it : Open to all who wish to enter.

However ,with the rather sour taste of Nestro's "chapter" still in my mouth , I can see the drawbacks of that idea.

In short : I can see the use , maybe even "need" , for the "Application-procedure" , but sure as hell I don't like it.
The only alternative , however , is putting up with the risk of another "Nestro" hopping in , screwing the game/story up and leaving Gral , as the current Mod of this forum , with the mess to clean up.
Not a happy thought either.

If there's one point , I'd definately be opposed to in all this , it's the chance that the application-procedure will turn into a "writing-skill-test" , where new players , less experienced if you like , get weeded out simply because they're "not eloquent enough". Not everyone is a salon-Hemmingway and I think the prime focus in judging new players should be just the concept and ideas they plan to bring in. Not the way they write those ideas/concepts down.

I hope , I worded that right......
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 02:24
Gralhruk

I agree that the whole idea of an application process is distasteful. I pretty much guessed what your feelings would be and to be honest, I really didn't want to implement them.

However, after this whole Nestro fiasco, it became clear to me that some control needed to be visibly in place so that people wouldn't think this was a free-for-all. To me, there were two options. One was to add rules about what was and wasn't allowed in here. The other was to simply screen who we let in and trust everyone to follow the spirit of the few rules we do have.

I much prefer the second option. It is less invasive. In my opinion, for those actually in the game, nothing has changed - which is exactly the way it should be. I like the freedom we allow here and I don't want to have to follow everyone around seeing whether or not their character adds up to 32 points, or if they are suddenly going to claim their character inhereted vast special abilities from their godlike ancestors. I also don't want to argue with people over what this rule or that rule means.

The only real message I wanted to get across in the "How to join" thread was that you could be rejected for pretty much any reason at all, no matter how subjective. I don't want to reject alot of people, but I want the freedom to reject somebody "just because" - EnigmaPrime is a case in point.

This game requires maturity, and most immature people don't realize that they are immature. So, that's my perspective on the whole thing.
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 02:43
itches

I doubt we're going to end up turning people away En-mass, but concerns are noted.

Now enough of this, there was meant to be a game around here someone. Let's play.
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 04:53
Cadrius

I 100% percent agree that screening people from a freeform game is terrible. However I really think that's the only way to preserve what we have.

Now don't mistake what I'm saying here for arrogance or elitism but without Gral or I this game would no longer exist. Hell, for a while I was the only one in here posting so that Lee wouldn't delete the whole thing. Does this mean I should be able to pull rank? No, absolutely not. However it does mean that feel quite connected to this game and I'll be damn sure it won't be dragged down by another Nestro.

People don't have to be stellar writers to be able to contribute. I know I've put out some shoddy posts in my day, but all that I ask is that everyone tries their best. I know I do. Yet text is our medium and people need to be able to put up coherent thoughts and descriptions.

So really, these are the requirements: literacy, maturity, creativity.

Edit: Gral - Yeah, I had planned the trial for the next morning. I'll try and keep it more or less synchronous with the main thread.

That about sums it up in my book.
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 05:03
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Here, here! (because I can't think of anything to add).
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 05:11
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
I honestly don't think you need to
Afterall it doesn't actually stop anyone just randomly posting in

If someone starts playing up just ask them to leave
if they refuse get an admin to ban them

I think keeping the spirirt of the game alive is very important
and if Gral doesn't feel he has time to do the adjustments all he needs is a little helper
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 05:13
LeeCHeSSS
Psionic Lich [Epic Admin]

Member: #1
You make me sound like a harsh delete-eager admin *sobs*

"Coolest Avatar Award™ 2005"-winner
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 05:15
Gralhruk

Hardly. IIRC, you asked in the OOC if the game was dead, to which Mega replied "Yes".
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 06:33
Gralhruk

Oops, somehow I missed BRR and BlackPlauge's comments.

Actually, what BigRedRod says is pretty much how we had been doing things in the past. Let me be honest: it isn't that I don't have the time, it's just that I don't like policing people.

Yes, we could just let anyone post and I could edit them if there are problems. However, having played here for a while, I've come to the conclusion that certain people just aren't cut out for this kind of game. Where I know this up front, I'd rather stop them before they start making a mess.

With a completely open game, people seem to think they can do whatever they want. You saw the impression that Nestro had - if there wasn't a rule against it he wasn't doing anything wrong. And technically speaking, he wasn't. His stuff didn't break the rules any more than other people have done in the past.

For people we know nothing about, yeah, this isn't going to help us much. For people I do know something about and I don't want in this game, this gives me an easy way to prevent them from playing.

I'm torn and I'll tell you why. I started thinking about adding rules to prevent this crap. I came to the conclusion that if I didn't want people mucking with my game then maybe I shouldn't be playing in an open game. To be honest, if Lee and Mega hadn't shown an interest in joining at the precise moment they did, I would have abandoned this game and started my own free-form with a limited player roster. Not because I don't like this game but because I like it too much.

So the application thing is the comprimise I came up with. It doesn't change how things work for the people involved, but it gives me a little control over who does what. Not that I didn't have it before but now it's spelled out up front: this game is subjective and don't expect to have the same leeway as more senior players.

Last edited by Gralhruk; 21st of March, 2003 at 06:36.
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 06:51
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

I know that the application process gets the game away from its original intent but given the way the game as evolved I don't think that's a bad thing. If people want a true free-for-all free form game they are welcome to start their own. This game started as a free-entry game but has evolved to the point where it can no longer support a free-entry policy and maintain its integrity as a story. I like this story line and would hate to see it disrupted by some brash upstart.

Perhaps the appropriate solution for those complaining that the application process violates the original spirit of the game is to create a new free form game that does have a free-entry policy. As I said, this game has evolved to the point where such a policy is no longer practical. The abandonment of the free-entry policy should not be seen as a detriment to the game but rather an outcome of the way this game has evolved. Not all games will evolve like this, but this one has and that evolution should be respected.
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 06:58
itches

Big words use.

Cheese I like.
Unread 21st of March, 2003, 07:02
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Ah... the innocence of simplicity...

Want to join Blarth, Itches?