Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Mercutio's Games > The Red Hand of Doom

Old 15th of October, 2011, 16:40
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
lolz. Then I read the next page.
"Sociopathic sex murderer" that about made me laugh the food in my mouth all over my work desk. Thanks a lot, Merc! buahaha! I wonder if you were serious though.

I'd be somewhat interested. I have never played IH, don't have the books and have little experience with what that setting entails beyond what was just discussed here.

I'm not so turned off by low magic as I am by "you can't level past level X". The reason isn't very pertinant to most PBP games I've been in though because leveling up rarely happens more than a couple of times anyway. However, I do like to plan characters for how they might advance and this pretty much rules out every prestige class or concept for a character beyond "I hit them in this special way cause I have this feat".

Also there is the issue of starting to spread myself thin among interesting games thing. Maybe I'll just troll the troll game. But I'll watch as the concept progresses and may adjust my interest level accordingly.
Old 16th of October, 2011, 08:32
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
Iron Heroes is an alternate Players Handbook for version 3.5 that is very low magic. Magic is very risky to use and the only class that can actually cast spells is an optional class that the DM is encouraged to prohibit if he wants to. Instead, the game design focuses on making the characters strong and powerful as well as awesome without the use of magic.

One of the coolest things about the system in my opinion is the fact that you can, if you want, take the same feat multiple times to gain different effects with it, depending on how good you are at using that type of feat when you take it again.

The system feels half finished though, the magic system is really weird and hard to use. But if you're playing with nobody using the magic in it anyway, it works just fine.
Old 16th of October, 2011, 09:10
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Heroes
Old 16th of October, 2011, 10:27
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

Member: #1690
Hey guys - what's fer dinner? Trolls? Boiled halfling?

And what the heck is E6 PF? Is that some Pathfinder thingy?

Old 16th of October, 2011, 10:35
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

E6 is a modification to core 3.5 D&D rules to have character levels top out at 6. I was wondering how it would work with the core PF rules, and my guess is that it'd be pretty much the same.
Old 16th of October, 2011, 14:44
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

I had a look around at some IH stuff and got the same vague impression that Link gave: it seems a bit clunky and incomplete. That and it seems like it is only a shoehorn fit at best for the style of game you were wanting. Its pretty much no magic or so little magic that it might as well be no magic.

I think I still agree with BRR that Pathfinder seems like a more complete system and a closer fit with a minor DM ruling of limiting full caster progression levels to character level -x. And I'm not just saying that cause I love Pathfinder. Ok, a little because of that. But I mean what I think you have to ask yourself is "what is it from this system's mechanics that I want to use"? Since IH doesn't have a specific setting it works out of your not using it for the setting it creates as you are using your own setting. So it is basically the mechanics that your looking for. And as far as mechanics go it just seems easier/better/more simple to say "Pathfinder rules. No more than character level -x in pure caster classes."

Also, since I'm just curious at this point. What setting would you be using? Customer setting I would gather?
Old 29th of April, 2012, 13:22
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

Member: #1704
I miss this game.
Old 29th of April, 2012, 14:33
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Me too. :(
Old 29th of April, 2012, 21:16
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Me three. I wish I had the energy to start it up again.
Old 29th of April, 2012, 21:26
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

I don't. I mean my RL one, anyway.

We are at the last section and may of the challenges that are in the Fane just seem inappropriate for where they are put in at. I don't want to give any spoilers but it just kinda leaves me disinterested in the game.

Of course maybe I'm just getting burnt out on DMing and want to play.

Doombot, are you in any RL games at the moment?
Old 29th of April, 2012, 21:34
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Inappropriate how? I haven't run it all the way to the end, but I've read through it multiple times. I didn't notice anything out of place, but like I said, I haven't actually run it that far and play experience is more valuable than reading experience.
Old 29th of April, 2012, 22:23
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Much of the foes in the Fane are mooks that the party has been fighting all along. It almost makes me wanna say, "Alright, you go in this room and you find more of the same guys you have been mopping the floor with for the past 4 levels. ... so... you kill them, and take their stuff. But their stuff is crap at this level, so really you just kinda ignore them."

Theres only like 3 notable fights (one of which often isn't a fight, one of which isn't in the fane proper) that are notable in the whole Fane of Tiamet. It just seemed anti-climactic aside from the actual last fight. I'll letcha know how that turns out if you want, Merc as we are running that next session.
Old 30th of April, 2012, 00:11
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Interesting. I just paged through it, and you're right. I think part of the problem (the largest part really) is that all the Fane of Tiamat stuff is after the climax of the story. The battle to save the city is the proper climax, and all the stuff that happens after takes place sort of in a down portion of the story--the denouement, if you will. It's kind of like LotR with its 5 different endings...
Old 30th of April, 2012, 06:11
Doombot

Lune: I am not currently in any RL game due to vet school and wedding planning. I might try to resurrect the campaign I was running last summer, but that's a big if.

Merc: You ever hear from treehouse anymore? I know he's in a family way, and has about as much freetime as the rest of us, but that's the extent of my knowledge.
Old 30th of April, 2012, 06:13
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Yes, I hear from him regularly actually. I'll pm you.

EDIT: Nothing bad. Just not appropriate for a public conversation.

Last edited by Mercutio; 30th of April, 2012 at 06:19.
Old 30th of April, 2012, 07:00
Linklegacy77

Hey it's a Doombot. Hi Doombot.
Old 30th of April, 2012, 10:50
Doombot

Hey Link. Just making sure my fiefdom is still in order.
Old 30th of April, 2012, 12:20
Linklegacy77

But of course.
Old 30th of April, 2012, 13:05
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Yeah, your right, Merc. Its like a second ending. Honestly, though, there is room for a 3rd ending if you wanted to continue the game. You could return to the Ghostlord and that would give a seperate sort of closure. Its just at the point of the story and where my players are at in the Fane (ie. between battle outside Fane proper and the final battle) is an awkward place that I don't have a lot of interest DMing. And I have a feeling my players are in a lul too.

That and I'm really interested in the game that I'm getting to play in that one of my current players is running. It'll be set in a post apoc Golarion where the players will be in the world minority of "good guy" survivors as the party cohession mechanic. Currently we will have:

An elven Arcane Archer with an emphasis on the martial side (played by my son)
A human female witch with voodoo influences and a hyena familiar
either a Human Gunslinger or a Human Bombadier Alchemist
...and whatever I decide to play.

I think we need a tank so I'm likely going to play a Dwarven Saurian Shaman (druid archetype) that has an ankylosaurus animal companion (that he plans on using as a mount). Other ideas include a Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde type 1/2 orc Alchemist/Master Chymist, an elven swashbuckler (likely with some relation to my son's character), a Sun Wukong inspired Veneran Fighter (Weapon Master)/Monk (Weapon Adept) who specializes in trip and AoOs.

All could be potentially tanky but with the dorf I get 2 tanks for the price of 1. Plus, I think the party is going to need some help with healing as the witch isn't planning on being a primary healer.

/threadjack
Old 30th of April, 2012, 22:10
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

So your first option is from the short-lived PFS game LP started, the second is one you and I were talking about in Cognitive Yammering, and the other two are new ideas I hadn't seen before.

The witch is going to be very squishy. I played one in BRR's game until she went cackling into the woods after a near TPK. They're great support characters, but that's really all they can be. They have next to no offensive abilities, so she'll need protection. The Gunslinger will be okay, the Arcane Archer might be alright (a little soft), but what you guys lack for sure is one sticky tank. (The witch can fill the healing roll with wands or with Hedge Witch archetype, but otherwise that's kind of a hole, too.)
Old 4th of May, 2012, 17:01
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Actually, the elven swashbuckler idea I posted here too. The Wukong one I didn't though. I have the builds if your interested.

I think the best two options are the druid and the alchemist because they can both fill the tank role and both have the ability to heal. The witch player has expressed a disinterest in being the party healer but doesn't mind out of combat healing. I don't see that as being an issue as long as everyone pulls their weight on the healing front and has something to offer. The arcane archer will likely have levels in ranger so he can use a cure light wounds wand as well. The gunslinger was talking about playing the screwy class that let you cast spells through your guns. I don't think that includes healing. To tell you the truth I'm not so hot on black powder technology touching my fantasy settings but my say isn't the only one that matters here. *shrug*
Old 4th of May, 2012, 17:56
Linklegacy77

Wait, arcane archer players take levels in ranger? Really? When did this happen?

=p.
Old 4th of May, 2012, 18:00
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Well, he was considering taking Fighter or even Zen Archer Monk (there is a sorcerer bloodline that changes your spell casting stat to Wis) instead.
Old 4th of May, 2012, 18:17
Linklegacy77

I've always thought fighter/wizard was the best progression path myself tbh, but it's just my opinion.

Besides, when I want to play an archer, I prefer soulbows if they're allowed =p.
Old 21st of May, 2012, 10:46
Doombot

Since I posted it in Chris' game, I'll post it here too: I'm married now. It's cool. Wonder Twin powers activate.