Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Old 10th of April, 2012, 09:07
thranduilsson
Zombie [GM]

Member: #9653
Hard-boiled cyberpunk: Technoir

EDIT: We're full! Sorry! If this goes well I may run it again. I'll put up a waitlist sign-up thread in the game's forum, if and when I decide to do that.

Hi all,

I'm looking for three or four (no more) sentient entities to play a rousing game of Technoir (technoirrpg.com).

Technoir is a narrative role playing game that draws from both noir and cyberpunk literature. It's Gibson/Stephenson meets Chandler/Hammett. It is hard-boiled hi-tech fiction--not pulp. You won't mow down hordes of nameless mooks, but you'll probably kill for your beliefs.

If you like Shadowrun for the cool tech and interesting stories, you'll find a home here. In fact, if you like Shadowrun at all, you'll probably enjoy Technoir.

The rules are not dense, but there are rules for cyberware, shooting shit in the face, making deals, hacking, drones, vehicles, organic advancement, etc--all the stuff you'd want to see in a cyberpunk game.

The game will be set in Los Angles, and we will do a little setting building together before we start (via the Transmission rules in the Technoir text).

If you're interested, post here. There's a free player's guide available here (direct link), which is all you need to join in.

Last edited by thranduilsson; 11th of April, 2012 at 12:52.
Old 10th of April, 2012, 10:16
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Sounds interesting. Not expressing interest just yet, but I'm going to read the player's guide you linked and think about it. Semester is almost over, and I'm not teaching any classes in the summer session, so I can think about playing in a new game.

EDIT - Just skimmed through quickly, but it has the air of FATE about it, and it has some very credible indie names in the playtest list (and Cam Banks, who has some mainstream cred), including Dan Bayn who wrote Wushu, one of my favorite rules-light games (although I still haven't had a chance to play it yet) and the guys behind Fiasco, which I've heard nothing but rave reviews about.

I guess that's switching my tentative yes to a solid yes.

Last edited by Mercutio; 10th of April, 2012 at 10:41.
Old 10th of April, 2012, 10:57
Marcus316
Shadow

Member: #9532
I need to read through the guide first, but I am a tentative yes.

Will let you know shortly.
Old 10th of April, 2012, 11:13
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Cyberpunk and noir? Why yes, I am very interested in playing in a game of this.
Old 10th of April, 2012, 12:07
Marcus316
Shadow

Member: #9532
Wow, hot topic.

Count me in as a definite yes. Looks interesting.
Old 10th of April, 2012, 13:53
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #2780
Hm. I liked the little I ever got to play of Shadowrun. In fact I think the only time I've ever gotten to play it was on this forum. That one actually had a funny story behind it too because it turned out the GM habitually started a bunch of games, vanished, and then created a new forum account to avoid people holding it against them. Thankfully itches noticed this.

Um... Right... So tangent aside, I guess I'll have to take a look at this.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Old 10th of April, 2012, 14:15
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Yes please!

e: Wanna play a courier with cybernetic legs.

Last edited by zachol; 10th of April, 2012 at 22:06.
Old 11th of April, 2012, 12:45
thranduilsson
Zombie [GM]

Member: #9653
There are five people interested and I can only accommodate four. I don't want to say no to anyone, but I don't want to start a game that's doomed to die either.

Technoir is a game that only takes three or four IRL sessions to complete (you can extend that indefinitely, but I've never seen a forum game go to completion so I'm not going to go there), so maybe this is doable with five.

Fuck it! You're all in. I'll get the forum up and then we'll talk details.

Important note: You don't need the rules. The player's guide is enough. If you end up liking what you see, by all means pay Mr. Keller for a copy. He writes fantastic games and has taken the leap to being a writer full-time, so he'll appreciate your support.

Tentatively:

1) This is not going to be a game designed to read like a novel. There's going to be an action thread and that's where we're gonna play. OoC and IC will be one interchangeable thread. How pretty that turns out depends entirely on how you structure your posts (I will not be providing a style guide).

2) I'm planning on getting through this in three-ish months with five to ten posts per week on my end. The game will come to an end, we'll have closure, and we can go to bed at night knowing that we actually finished a goddamn forum game.

3) I'm hard to offend and I am very direct. I say fuck a lot. If that bothers you, please don't play this game with me. Buy a copy yourself ($10 pdf!) and run it for your friends.

4) Don't get attached to character ideas yet. We're going to generate a web of plot nodes and talk about shit and maybe you'll find something you want to play more, given the context. If you get attached to a knee-jerk concept, you might miss out on something totally rad. I will not be enforcing this in any way, but do consider it a suggestion for optimal play.