View Single Post
Unread 19th of December, 2011, 00:46
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Originally Posted by Lune # Merc, that isn't how it works. Just read the text, bud.

Whenver the alchemist imbibes a mutagen. Ok, so say he is drinking a mutagen that grants him +4 Str, +2 AC and -2 Int. We will call it a "strength mutagen". Whenever he drinks the strength mutagen he gains two claw attacks and a bite attack.
You're arguing against something that I'm not arguing. That bit is correct.

Thats how it works because thats what it says. Now, I agree that I couldn't drink a strength mutagen, start working on making a constitution mutagen and drink it when I was done to gain both affects. That is what the text you are referencing prevents. In such a case the duration would be reset and the newest mutagen's abilities would take effect.
This is what I was saying.

And to be clear with my build I'm not talking about ever making seperate mutagens. I'm talking about making a single mutagen. This mutagen would be a strength mutagen. And when he drinks the mutagen he gains claws and bite attack from the feral mutagen discovery.
Yes, this is fine.

You can so have Growth mutagen on top of it. That is specifically how it works. Just read the text. It says:
I guess I just don't understand how the mutagen works, then. The text is exceedingly unclear about this.

And that mutagen is perminant thanks to Infuse Mutagen.
That's not what Infuse says. What it does say is that you can have a second mutagen potion.
This allows an alchemist to create different types of mutagens and keep them handy for emergencies. This does not allow an alchemist to gain the effects of multiple mutagens—only the most recently imbibed mutagen has any effect.
Do me a favor and go look around the interwebs at some Master Chemyst builds and I think you will see my point.
Just because other people have made a build does not make them correct. But I'm willing to concede that I just don't understand how the hell Mutagen as a class ability is supposed to work. The way I read it is that each Mutagen can have one effect, but it looks like you're telling me that a Mutagen as the base effect you brew into it (+4 Str, +2 Natural AC, -2 Int), and that the other effects, Feral or Growth, are added into that mutagen. I wish the text was far clearer than it is. I read it like potions with separate effects, not one potion that builds multiple effects into it. If it works like you say, then, yes, I'm wrong about it.

And if that's the case, I guess I'm done with the argument.

You are right, however, about when I had taken Growth. I'd have to switch Furious and Growth around. Its the same net effect actually as he could still just be drinking enlarge extracts until he gets perminant growth.
At least I was right about something.

The Alchemist class is confusing enough that I don't think I'd ever try a build that wasn't just a bomb-thrower. That entry makes sense to me.

Last edited by Mercutio; 19th of December, 2011 at 00:52.