View Single Post
Unread 11th of May, 2017, 10:01
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

Member: #1006
So, let's talk character stuff.

I'm still working on how exactly I'm going to pull off the spell casting. I've used the VPP model before, and while I think it does a decent job of emulating D&D, it's not the sort of feel I'm going for in bringing Rolemaster to hero.

One of the things I've always liked about RMSS was it's magic system with it's three realms of magic and spell lists that were very thematically linked. The theme part will transfer nicely into hero, so we'll start there.

Each magic using profession (class) had 5-6 base lists - groups of spells that were at the core of that profession. Do for example, the magician, who were matters of elemental magic had Ice Law, Fire Law, Water Law, Earth Law, Wind Law, and Light Law. Each list would have 23 or so spells in increasing levels of power.

So that was all cool for back in the day, but these days I'm not so much into having my options picked for me, which is why I've sort of fallen into hero. So what I'm thinking is use the over arching themes of the spell lists and make that the name of a power skill that could be used to whip up spells of that theme. The power skill would be the only thing you'd actually pay points for, technically there's a VPP at work in the background, but because of the narrow focus entailed with in a spell list I don't feel the need to extract a cost for it (that and ideally most mage types would have many lists they'd be interested in).

Character wise, I'd suggest picking the "lists" that you'd be interested in developing - you can turn to the source material for what the lists look like, or just make up a couple of themes to work with. Some examples -
Paladin Base lists
- Communion
- Exorcism
- Holy Arms
- Holy Healing
- Holy Shields
- Inspiring Ways

Alternatively you could say that you want the paladin you're thinking of playing to be able to do the following -
- Cast spells of righteous fire (Holy Wrath)
- Cast spells of healing (Holy Healing)
- Cast spells to find/locate/sense evil (Holy Sight)
- Cast spells of protection from evil/magic/supernatural effects (Wards of Faith)

Those would be your base lists and each would be its own Power skill that you would use to cast spells. What spells? Well anything that you could make, as long as it fit within the theme. So with Holy Wrath you could make your sword burn with holy fire (aid to killing attack, or Deadly blow vs evil, or a naked armor piercing advantage) shoot bolts of fire (Energy blast, Killing attack), Shroud yourself in flame (Killing attack damage shield) etc. As long as its righteous and fire you could cast it with your skill. You couldn't use Holy Wrath to make healing flames (not in the theme - but you could use Holy Healing for that).

Spell endurance would be paid for with a mana pool (endurance battery with limitations depending on which school of magic you do).

Free Variable Power Pools? What's the catch?
Well first you'll be sinking a lot of points into the skills, especially if you want to start producing bigger effects. Second - failing spell rolls can be very bad.

That's what I've got so far - questions? comments?

Last edited by -J-; 11th of May, 2017 at 11:29.