PDA

View Full Version : Top 5: 3. Films

BigRedRod
20th of August, 2002, 00:03
Another ATU seems to have passed, so let's get on to number three :)

Off the top of your head just list your five fav films
It's too much effort to actually think about it :)

So heres mine (once again with no real order)

1. Unbreakable ("They called me Mr Glass!")
2. From Dusk Till Dawn (George Clooney, Quentin Tarrantino and Vampires, need I say more? :) )
3. Baseketball ("You're excited? Feel these nipples!")
4. The Big Lebowski (A great film indeed, great actors, bowling, white russians and some really quite surreal bits)
5. Plunket and Macleane (Gentlemen Highwaymen, I doubt it's historical accuracy but it's a superb film none the less)

One's that didn't quite make the list but still should be seen
-O brother where art thou?
-Swordfish
-Final Fantasy : The Spirit's Within

LeeCHeSSS
20th of August, 2002, 00:22
1. The Blues Brothers
2. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
5. Monty Python: Search for the Holy Grail

Obviously, 3 and 4 are reserved...

itches
20th of August, 2002, 00:27
The Best Film of All Time

KISS MY BLOOD. Most people who know me in real life have suffered through watching at least some of it, and damn what a fine movie.

another 4 in no order.

2) the Lord of The Rings Movie
3) Magnificent Seven
4) The Crow
5) Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Filled it ... hmm now i want to see them all.

Beidamon
20th of August, 2002, 00:39
No one voted Spaceballs so far? Well I will, its my number one. Its the best movie ever. All who disagree will get lord helms choke hold, and it aint no neck one ;)

"Oh great, a Druish princess"

"Oh my god, they went to plad!"

"Evil will always triump because good, is dumb"

"I said fire a warning shot across her nose, not up it!"

Lines like that make it the best movie ever :)

Maeko
20th of August, 2002, 01:14
Lord of The Rings

The 13th Warrior

The Birman (burmese?) Harp (By Ichikawa a classic )

The Field (the Irish film)

Kagemusha

In no particular order

Cadrius
22nd of August, 2002, 01:50
In no particular order...

1. The Big Lebowski
2. The Saint
3. Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring
4. Unbreakable
5. O Brother Where Art Thou?

Yes, I am a Cohen brothers nut.

I know there are a couple though that I've forgotten...

Edit: Yep, I was right. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Braveheart, Gladiator, Dogma, and The Sixth Sense.

Spoon
22nd of August, 2002, 18:59
Top 5 in no particular order
1. Snatch
2. Fight club
3. Dead man on campus
4. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead
5. Mallrats

other notable mentions- American History X, two hands, full metal jacket, lock stock and 2 smoking barrels, Spaceballs, Dogma, Chopper

BigRedRod
22nd of August, 2002, 19:52
I forgot Fight Club
I can stick that one in my list of my films that would have nearly made it :)

I don't see why the first LotR films made it into peoples lists, yes it's based on a fairly popular book but the film wasn't anything special and the camera work was down right shoddy. But it gives me the idea of doing books for the next one, of course I need to wait until a random amount of time has passed first :)

Cadogan Trahem
22nd of August, 2002, 20:13
1. All Quiet on the Western Front.
- Suprisingly real movie made based on the life of a German addolecent who grows up and joins the German Imperial Army and is sent to the Western Front in France. It follows the issues that where faced by soldiers on both sides, the fears, and the reality of the war. Originally done in German, but later dubbed in several languages.

2. Starship Troopers.
- It has action, it has guns, it has giant bugs! What else could a movie need? You say plot? Well it has that too!!

3. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
- An interesting look into the society of China, plus it has some cool water walking, high jumping, tree fighting scenes all wrapped up in a compelling story.

4. Fight Club.
- Psycho movie. Any movie where the main character repeatably bashes himself in public is worth seeing. One word - Soap.

5. Not Sure

keep in mind this list was done off the top of my head, so it will probably have changed by this time tomorrow.

Maeko
22nd of August, 2002, 21:44
Well, BRR, what i can say about 'Fellowship' is that I absolutely loved it. Even more, probably, since my expectations were 'total disaster' (I hated, and mean HATED the cartoon version).

I think they did a very good job of a nearly impossible thing.

Different? of course it's different, the two media have nothing in common, it would have been impossible to 'translate' verbatim the book into the movie :).

Besides, there's no accounting for individual tastes ;)

Could the next polls be a bit expanded? 'Top 5' makes for some very hard choices... ;)

BigRedRod
22nd of August, 2002, 23:10
The game is all about Hard Choices :)
If it was Top however many you can think of it wouldn't be as fun :)

Although I admit in this category with so many films it is hard to pick just five, but you don't always have the option of choosing everything

Plus top 5's are short and snappy, a full-blow ten would take that out :)

In short , I might change up to a ten depending on the next category but don't bet on it :)

As for the LotR comment, I disliked the book, the plot was all well and good but I find Tolkiens writing style painful. The film really needed a few stronger actors and better camera men and possibly it would have worked
Every fight scene someone thought it was funny to give the cameraman a little too much to drink, he would fall over and stagger about not really getting much of the action at all :)
And having Agent Thingy from the Matrix as one of the Elves was a little too weird for me :calm:
Still Liv Tyler was good for the short time she was in
But Gandalf needed replacing with an actor

Still this is my opinion, i'm not saying "LotR sucked - Fact" :devious: :)

Maeko
22nd of August, 2002, 23:45
Fully understood :) , The book is in my 'classic top 5' list, although I admit that Tolkien's style may feel a bit 'dated' now I really enjoy the depth of imagination and study.

As I said it all depends on individual tastes, I for one, don't like either Tarantino or Spaceballs.... (no offence intended), no doubt some of you would be bored to death by my choices :)

If I may: if you are going with books, next, could it be by cathegories? Best fantasy or novel or....

BigRedRod
23rd of August, 2002, 00:04
so break up it into a few Top 5's then?
I can't see too many problems with that :)
of course I can't think of that many categories :) but I can just do Fantasy first then have a bit of a think :)

Although
I could break it up into five categories for a top 5, although that would mean something needs placing on a number 1 spot which is hard to do and why I encourage random ordering :)

PaVel
23rd of August, 2002, 20:15
the problems with poles like this are that when someone is reading them. They go like : oh yeah that's a great movie, how could I forget that movie.

So you might end more than a top-5. Choices choices

1 : The Godfather Trilogy
2 : LotR - Fellowship of the Ring
3 : Matrix
4 : Six Sense
5 : The Patriot
6 : Scent of Woman
7 : Star Wars
8 : Swordfish

as you can see a top >5 :yum: not in any particular order btw. :cool:

Spoon
23rd of August, 2002, 20:57
oh yeah pulp fiction and Zoolander add them in somewhere.

LotR is my favourite book but i hated the movie, i think the BBC radio production was very good though (i did like the use of Ian Holm as Bilbo in the movie, although he was better as Frodo). But i suppose really when you compare a movie to your own imagination and interpretation of events you're always going to be dissapointed.

Maeko
23rd of August, 2002, 21:03
Of course, it's always 'somebody's version' which is bound to be different from yours... :)

Can i add my '2nd' top 5?

Dersu Uzala (Kurosawa)

Farewell my Concubine

84 Charing Cross Road (A movie about Books, WOW)

Babette's Dinner (not sure of the English title)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (they are going to film the whole pentalogy! :) )

BigRedRod
23rd of August, 2002, 21:18
PaVel the idea was to just pick 5, not 8 becuase you don't want to choose between them :)

I wasn't impressed by sixth sense either :P

*spoiler for 6th sense*

The twist that he was dead wasn't really a twist, I thought you were just meant to assume that after you saw him die and he then only talks to the kid

**end spolier, have a nice day**

BigRedRod
24th of August, 2002, 05:36
Just saw Bring it On again
Love that film

It has two girls from my top5 in, a load of other cheerleaders, it's pretty funny and has the best credit sequence i've seen (where they all sing "Mickey" and it shows the outtakes and the dancing)

Still it's not quite top 5 material but would get about 7

Still i need to see If i can download that credit sequence, it's great :)

BigRedRod
26th of August, 2002, 21:52
well with all my random comments this is more of a listen to BRR ramble about films thread :)

Panic Room
that film was great, normally I hate films with child actors (because children can't act), but the girl from Panic Room managed to impress me quite a bit. Plus the film itself is great with only two weak spots.

1. The panic room was meant to be totally safe but they managed to access the air supply by breaking through some (what looked like) plaster

2. It was badly marketted (much like unbreakable was), you see the adverts and you just think "Whoa that looks like one of those really bad "one womens struggle to vercome A set to the background of B" (in this case involving being a single parent and having your house broken into). But the fact that one of the guys behind fight club was involved chnaged my mind, so i went to see it and was very impressed

So that one might actually have made my top five (i'm not sure what i would remove though :P). Still these threads are meant to be full of hard choices, so i'll stand by my first decision :)

Spoon
26th of August, 2002, 22:03
Oh and trainspotting put that in the top 5 instead of spaceballs.

Setzer Gabbiani
27th of August, 2002, 08:11
http://www.megatokyo.com/rantimgs/297.jpg

BigRedRod
27th of August, 2002, 16:54
clockwork orange?

LeeCHeSSS
27th of August, 2002, 16:55
Is that a picture from Kingpin?

Azyr
5th of September, 2002, 07:50
In no particular order...

Fight Club
The Matrix (apart from the end, where Keanu Reeves flies. Bleah)
Interview with the Vampire
Blade (shame about the sequel)
Highlander (likewise)

Would like to put American History X, too. No room.

Setzer Gabbiani
6th of September, 2002, 04:02
Yeah, Clockwork Orange kicks ass. It's got that Silence of the Lambs-style humor (SotL was also a really good movie).

BigRedRod
6th of September, 2002, 05:39
a guy i know keeps raving about the film
i caught about 10 minutes of it once, but i got bored and wandered off :P
I might sit down and watch it one day

The_Friendly_Fiend
8th of September, 2002, 09:10
Alphabetical order and not very serious, just films that I can watch more than once a year.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Rollerball (James Cahn)
Slapshot (Paul Newman)

Setzer Gabbiani
18th of September, 2002, 03:17
Just bought Clockwork Orange a couple of days ago. Now the character in the evil game I'm in will talk like Alex. Man, they'res gonna be a lot of dead drunks after I leave a town.

irishjoe
18th of September, 2002, 05:24
hmmm... this is a tough one. here are five in no particualr order:

nosferatu (the fist vampire movie ever made)
clockwork orange (methinks you should learn to conduct yourselves public-wise, oh my brothers)
fight club (slide)
godfather trilogy (i guess thats more like three but oh well)
taxi driver (robert deniro with a mohawk, what more could you ask for)

of course there are other great movies, but if i only get to pick five these are it.

The_Friendly_Fiend
18th of September, 2002, 06:04
nosferatu?!?!? You're talking about that black and white version that seems to drone on and on? I tried to watch it, but for some reason I kept nodding off every 5-10 minutes. After a while it was just like being under chinese water torture. Of course watching it late at night might have had something to do with it, but I can watch some other stinker films and not fall asleep. :sleep:

BrianL03
18th of September, 2002, 10:23
1. Empire Strikes Back (the bad guys win! Yaaaay!)
2. Spaceballs
3. The Blues Brothers
4. A New Hope
5. Return of the Jedi

itches
7th of April, 2003, 23:43
Revising my top 5, and only ending up with 3 :\

1: Kiss My Blood - Still (in my opinion) The greatest movie ever.
2:Equilibrium - And one of these days it is actually going to be released in Australia! :nod:
3: Ripper, Letter From hell - it might be the fact that I just finished watching it, but that is a really cool movie.

There end my top 3, now just for the heck of it, a bunch of other movies that I like

Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles
He-Man
Interview With a Vampire
The Magnificent Seven

And many, more that I don't remember the name of. I must keep track of what these movies are called.

Lord_Smeagol
8th of April, 2003, 00:10
You all are clearly insane. The best movie ever made was The Last Starfighter.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Star Wars Trilogy
Space Balls
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Other Awesome Movies:
Rio Bravo, The Emperors New Groove, HATARI!, any Thumb movies, Willow

itches
8th of April, 2003, 00:15
The Last Star Fighter is a brilliant movie! It was one of those ones which I couldn't remember the name of.

On a similar note, it sucks when your favorate movie is in a language that you don't speak :(

WhoNAN
8th of April, 2003, 05:41
1. Thomas Crown Affair (new one)
2. Sneakers
3. Hunt for Red October

I reserve the last two for thought

BigRedRod
11th of April, 2003, 07:14
well an ATU has passed
but I don't know what to make the next one on

books were suggested
but I dunno