PDA

View Full Version : Problems with threbb (3edition)

Benicus
21st of July, 2006, 08:01
Hey all ive just barely (recent hour or so) have had problems when going to threbb. I cant view any of the forums at all, but i can go to the main page/chatroom. Anyone know whats going on?

Mercutio
21st of July, 2006, 08:03
No idea, but I'm having the same issues. Probably doing forum work.

Benicus
21st of July, 2006, 08:07
I hope it comes back, I was almost joyus for a few days there...

Benicus
21st of July, 2006, 08:19
Yay its back...for now

Linklegacy77
21st of July, 2006, 10:49
Here's the problem I have with 3ebb. Every time I go to a thread, I get logged out, and I have to log back in again. It is really getting to be a pain.

Mercutio
21st of July, 2006, 22:09
Link. Seriously, I had that problem too before the board crash. It's the way my work computer stores/accesses the cookie. There isn't a fix for it that I've found. It got to the point where I couldn't do any moderating until I got home. I did a complete scrub of all my cookies, reinstalled IE, and cleared history. Eventually, some combination of those things got it so that I didn't get logged out, but I still couldn't do the mod stuff from work.

Linklegacy77
22nd of July, 2006, 01:55
It doesn't happen as much anymore, but it still happens on occasion. It is ridiculoulsy annoying, and I didn't have the problem before the board switch.

akiko
25th of July, 2006, 23:35
Its down again. Getting those DB connection errors.

Cerul
26th of July, 2006, 00:04
Oh, good. It's not just me.

Yeah, I've been getting a "critical error" page a lot lately. Think they're just working out the kinks of the server switch?

akiko
26th of July, 2006, 00:05
Hope so. It seems like the new hosting just isn't quality of the old one yet IMO.

Mercutio
26th of July, 2006, 00:45
I'd say it's the hosting service coupled with DB issues. It's annoying that it goes down about once a day, but compared to not having it at all, I'll take intermittent.

LeeCHeSSS
28th of July, 2006, 02:50
So how many members are still active on 3EBB nowadays anyway?

akiko
28th of July, 2006, 02:58
Shows 1000+ registered. But I don't recall seeing more than 50 at regular intervals. 100 tops. I think I interact with about 25 people.

Mercutio
28th of July, 2006, 03:43
Active now? Probably around 50 registered people who post. There are a lot of people who lurk as either guests or registered users that just don't post.

Benicus
28th of July, 2006, 03:57
Yeah I know, sad...

Linklegacy77
28th of July, 2006, 04:58
I'm pretty active, or at least I'd like to think so.

zachol
29th of July, 2006, 06:55
Eh, I'm avoiding it.

Personally, the ads that show up every few posts in each thread really annoy me.
I would be amazed if they brought in any revenue (I assume people would just skip them).

Plus, it feels... icky.
I think it's primarily the ads, but the whole place feels remarkably not polished.
This would be ok, if it weren't for the fact that it did feel nicely done a while back.

generaljimX
29th of July, 2006, 07:09
I agree. It just doesn't feel the same. And the ads are TERRIBLE. They come up every other post or so. That drives me crazy, especially when they catch my eye. I'm glad this is still up.........

LeadPal
29th of July, 2006, 07:17
I try to be as active as possible. Not as much as I used to, though.

It feels like 3ebb has been going downhill for the past year or so, ever since Jim started losing the will to go on. There are constant problems, traffic has been going down steadily, the old, sane members seem to be being phased out, and the discussions are (in general) getting less and less interesting. The Cognitive Yammering forum here, by comparison, seems like a breath of fresh air.

I don't really mind the ads, myself, but the state of affairs in general bothers me.

akiko
29th of July, 2006, 09:26
Hey! I joined in the past year. Am I boring to you?

Please don't answer that. The ads are mildly annoying to me, less than I expected it them to be. But the fact that I cannot view 3 threads in a row without it going down is really grating. Connections errors, too many threads, etc. Pain in the ass. Really I think I am only going back for the same folks I now talk to here and Darken's contest which I am sure you all noticed I am VERY interested in. I even wish my one game there would move here.

Honestly I was trying a month or so ago to stop joining games here and move to another PbP site with a few more tools but I have really begun to enjoy the community here and hence haven't wanted to leave.

Benicus
29th of July, 2006, 19:17
Akiko you leave? I laugh at that concept, HA

But yes the problems with the connection are the real bum out to me, and the fact that all the older peoples seem less active. And that it looks kinda crappier...grr

The ads though don't bother me, I just don't look at um.

BigRedRod
29th of July, 2006, 22:30
Wow, I thought those ads between posts was a templating problem. I'm sure it will be removed though, either that or it'll crush the userbase.

Honestly I was trying a month or so ago to stop joining games here and move to another PbP site with a few more tools but I have really begun to enjoy the community here and hence haven't wanted to leave.
Make a thread about the features this site doesn't have over others / could use generally. Usually it is the kind of stuff that is out of my power but now Danny has quit WoW we should hopefully see some improvements soon.

akiko
29th of July, 2006, 22:58
Should I make it in this forum?

treehouse
29th of July, 2006, 23:02
Inquiries would probably be better.

BigRedRod
29th of July, 2006, 23:48
Go with Inquiries, that is where to stick stuff that you want to attract the attention of the powers that be.

Black Plauge
30th of July, 2006, 00:55
The adds are an attempt to make 3EBB break even again. As is, the site loses money (though less since the server switch). You can't expect anyone to continue to hold on to a money sink forever. Think about it this way, if your car had a leak in the gas tank, would you continue to fill it up every time the tank was empty or try to fix it (or get it fixed if you don't like doing car work yourself)?

Plus, the guys at 8-bit are working on new supporter options, one of which will be the elimination of those adds (i.e., pay money and you won't see them anymore).

I've not experienced any of the connection problems you others are complaining about. Not that I doubt that you guys have had them, but I'm just saying, if I've been able to miss all of them, then they can't be that bad since I login every day for several hours. I assume, however, that they're related to the database switch. Charlie and the other 8bit guys are doing this for free. They have to prioritize paying customers over 3rdedition.org or they won't be able to afford to keep 3rdedition.org going. Give them time to work out the bugs and I'm sure things will eventually get back to the level of quality that they were before.

As for the quality of the forum posts, that's a userbase responsibility. If you want quality posts you have to make them yourself. It's the users that generate the forum content and thus bear the responsibility for its quality.

Mercutio
30th of July, 2006, 01:31
I'm gonna echo BP here. I've been trying to get content stuff going again. I volunteered to be a news poster, to be a mod, and to be Agimimnon. I want people to present any tools or characters they have so that we can put them in the resources section. We need people to write some new articles, whether they are reviews (thanks Link), DM hints, options for play, suggested variant rules or PrCs that have been vetted on the boards, whatever.

Second point, you can't build up the user base without trying to spread word. I frequent TreasureTables, here, and threbb, and visit the boards at Wizards and ENWorld. I try to put in a little plug for threbb if I can when people ask about good places to ask questions or present material for workshopping.

I'm glad we have that ability here now, so that if 3ebb does die completely away, we won't lose all the knowledge and ability that used to be on 3ebb. But in order to keep that there, the older posters need to contribute. I'm not saying you should volunteer all your time, but if you have a campaign world you've designed, classes or house rules you'd like to contribute, thoughts on a book, whether is WotC or any other publisher, news about gaming (until Blogger connection is restored I can't do news), questions for Agimimnon to shred, articles on good DMing or roleplaying or ways to do something different, maybe spend 5 or 10 minutes a day writing it down until you have something solid and then send it to charlie to get put up on the content page, or at least post it in the forums.

Benicus
30th of July, 2006, 21:54
Hmmm...now I shall take into account the fact that I can write up a few things on DM hints. Especially for littler kid DMing (as in DMing little kids), and DMing people who seem to have ADHD when it comes to roleplaying.

BigRedRod
30th of July, 2006, 21:58
The adds are an attempt to make 3EBB break even again. As is, the site loses money (though less since the server switch). You can't expect anyone to continue to hold on to a money sink forever. Think about it this way, if your car had a leak in the gas tank, would you continue to fill it up every time the tank was empty or try to fix it (or get it fixed if you don't like doing car work yourself)? This seems to be getting it fixed by selling the tires on the car to afford a new gas tank. I don't think intrusive ads are a viable source of income due to the impact they'll have on your userbase. If you are using advertisments to support a site you need to avoid angering your userbase, because if you do that then they leave and the site dies.

Linklegacy77
31st of July, 2006, 08:10
NP Merc, I plan on continuing to help in those respects. As soon as I finish it, I'll submit a review of the MMIV. Once I get it, I will submit a review of Tome of Battle also.

Benicus
31st of July, 2006, 14:22
Once I finish Heros of Horror I'll write up a review on that too if it's okay.

Linklegacy77
31st of July, 2006, 22:22
Feel free, although Heroes of Horror was a long time ago. 'Tis why I didn't do Tome of Magic and Races of the Dragon.

trendel
1st of August, 2006, 01:02
The thing is though, even old books should have reviews. I know that I only own the core books plus the first four complete book (I think I saw that there is another now). Having reviews of older books will help come X-mas/Birthday time. I'll have a better idea of what to do with all my barnes and noble gift cards. :)

Mercutio
1st of August, 2006, 01:11
Hey, if there's not a review of it, reviews are welcome. ENWorld has random reviews of old products from time to time.

Mercutio
1st of August, 2006, 01:12
Double Post - Hell, even if there are reviews and you think something different, submit those.

Linklegacy77
2nd of August, 2006, 11:26
Tell ya what, I'll write up a bunch of reviews in my free time about books I've got, that aren't written about yet.

akiko
17th of August, 2006, 01:44
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in F:\hshome\threbb\3rdedition.org\forum\db\mysql4.ph p on line 118

This is the error I get constantly BP. I plan on posting about it as soon as I can get back into any thread or forum there. I have been trying for 5 minutes to see what is going on in the CC.

Benicus
17th of August, 2006, 01:48
I'm getting that too! Wierd...

akiko
17th of August, 2006, 01:50
And this one.
Warning: mysql_connect(): User Threbb_PHPBBUser has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in F:\hshome\threbb\3rdedition.org\forum\db\mysql4.ph p on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in F:\hshome\threbb\3rdedition.org\forum\db\mysql4.ph p on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in F:\hshome\threbb\3rdedition.org\forum\db\mysql4.ph p on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Black Plauge
17th of August, 2006, 02:06
The execution time one is usually related to connection speed. I get it all the time at home where I have to use a 56k modem connection. If you're getting it on a high-speed connection, then something is slowing down the connection somewhere (though I don't know which end). A simple reload of the page usually gets rid of the error (unless the connection speed issue is something more chronic, like my modem).

The second looks like a high traffic error. Too many people trying to access the forums at once. That's one you might want to bring up with Charlie because it looks like it might be something he can do something about (as there apparently is a "max_user_connections" variable which might be manipulatable).

LeeCHeSSS
18th of August, 2006, 03:18
Err, is 3EBB running on a windows server with Apache???

Mercutio
18th of August, 2006, 03:41
I don't understand all that. You'd have to ask the owners.

akiko
18th of August, 2006, 04:06
I don't think so, but then again Charlie just took over the site and is trying to make upgrades and enahancements while still keeping someone else's code and functionality up for us. So it seems the server move is causing more issues than originally thought.

LeeCHeSSS
19th of August, 2006, 01:44
Well, linux does not use drive letters and backward slashes

akiko
19th of August, 2006, 01:50
Hmmm.. working in Windows all day that didn't even stand out to me.

Mercutio
19th of August, 2006, 03:48
Well, linux does not use drive letters and backward slashes

I'll have to take your word on that. I've only ever had Windows as an OS (besides DOS, that is).

Black Plauge
19th of August, 2006, 04:51
Yes, 3rdedtion.org does use some weird combination of Linux and Windows. It has something to do with the fact that the main site's content is stored using a mySQL database while the forums are php.

That's part of the reason that the server switch took so long.

LeeCHeSSS
19th of August, 2006, 06:41
Ok, I'll just let you get back to discussing 3ebb's problems, since I'm obviously confusing you guys (php and mysql are both best run on linux - compared to mssql and asp on windows)...

akiko
19th of August, 2006, 07:02
I believe the site used to be on a linux server. Hence all the code is php. I think it used to be an oracle DB as well, but Charlie moved it to mssql.

Mercutio
19th of August, 2006, 08:00
No, Jim ran it in MSSQL from the time I joined until he sold it. It was one of the requirements when he sold it.

Benicus
28th of September, 2006, 12:33
Man now I can't get on at all....

It won't load up anyone else getting this?

EDIT: Nevermind, back to normality. Though there are tooooo many spamers...