PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun 4th

Viro
1st of November, 2005, 16:53
Well, I'm looking to run and/or join a SR4 game, ideally both. As such, I'd like to propose that any other potential SR4 GM contact me, and do a bit of a "side by side" setup, with the two games using a concurrent world, although not going up against each other (only possible interaction).

If you're interested in playing a character, get ahold of SR4 [and I hereby do support downloading, since several places are virtually unable to get copies of the book in to the local game shops (my town got 2, me and Abusepuppy got them, more won't arrive for over a month)], and read through the new rules and storyline. Too much has been changed for a simple post, but I am incredibly excited by the changes made.

Once you've got the book, come up with two characters you'd like to play. They don't have to be 100% finished, but enough to have a vague background idea and a gist of what powers/skills/etc they'll have. If I find another GM we'll pick our teams from the players available, and have some fun.

As a sidenote, for anyone interested, I will be being very strict on post quality. This means people need to be able to speak/write English fluently, and make posts that are at least somewhat interesting to read. This is mainly due to the fact that if I'm going to do the work at running a game, I want to have people that are willing to work almost as hard making the game a pleasure to read.

Fulmen
2nd of November, 2005, 03:25
Just to add to your hard to acquire point, I had a copy ordered from Borders.com and got too tired of waiting and canceled my order a few days ago in exchange for the HERO System book. Anyway, kinda off topic, but best of luck with the campaign. If I was still getting the book I would join in a heartbeat.

Sparda219
2nd of November, 2005, 04:32
I'd love to play an SR game, and it's been a wile since I've been able to play in a game with you, Viro. ^^

I'll go DL the book now...

stealthbanana
2nd of November, 2005, 05:11
Good luck downloading the book as well. It's hard to find.

Might not be now, but it was a few days ago.

Oh, and I'd like to play.

Viro
2nd of November, 2005, 05:38
Yeah, after making my post I attempted to find a copy of the book, to no luck. On the plus side, I have access to a scanner, and run my own website (ish), so in the continued absence of one, I'll get to work on scanning the book onto my computer, and make it available for download.

Fulmen
2nd of November, 2005, 05:47
It can be downloaded here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76_304&products_id=2780&affiliate_id=20905 for $25.

BigRedRod
2nd of November, 2005, 05:50
*Cough*
How many times do I need to pop out of the woodwork and tell people not to openly discuss piracy?

It should be common sense not to talk about aquiring materials with paying.

Thanos
2nd of November, 2005, 10:17
Some people never learn?

Some people never pay attention?

Some people haven't been caught yet and don't know the problems that come with it!

Anyways...good luck with the game. I would join if it was 3rd or second...

nightinverse
2nd of November, 2005, 12:17
*Cough*
How many times do I need to pop out of the woodwork and tell people not to openly discuss piracy?

It should be common sense not to talk about aquiring materials with paying.

Wait... okay. That second statement made no sense.

But yes, actually... perhaps you should write it into the rules of the site? As they appear in your revamped FAQ, it may become sufficently visible to make a difference...

Lando The Archmagi
2nd of November, 2005, 12:26
For anyone interested, the game shop I go to had 4 copies on Saturday, might want to check with them.

http://www.titangamesandcomics.com/

They likely got some more as well in their warehouse or other 2 stores.

I've got 3rd and 2nd edition so no interest in a 4th.

I instead ordered some Exalted Books for an Abyssal game and the new Serenity RPG.

Thanos
2nd of November, 2005, 13:07
Ewww..... and Abyssal Game ;-)

I have a very nasty idea for a lv5 artifact I would love to have for an Abyssal....

stealthbanana
2nd of November, 2005, 13:48
Hey hey, I said nothing about piracy.

I even discouraged it.

For less than honorable reasons, but it's the outcome that counts.

Daedalus
2nd of November, 2005, 13:59
Um, actually, Fulmen didn't encourage piracy, nor link to anything involving it. He linked to a respectable site that was offering the book in pdf format for twenty five bucks.

Viro
2nd of November, 2005, 14:39
For the records, I'm just as against piracy as I can get - I buy games as often as I'm able, and really only download stuff that I can't manage to get my hands on legally. I'd gladly pay to own a copy of several ancient games *cough-Dragon Force-cough* but I can't find them.

In the case of SR4, I live in a town of 50000. The entire town got 2 copies in outside direct ships ala Amazon pre-orders. In cases like this, I can't really expect potential players to have a physical copy of the book (though I can feel elite for having one myself). I don't support piracy. I do support people trying to get a book so they can get hooked on the game and buy a hardcopy ASAP.

In alternative, if Fanpro would like to ship extra books to local retailers (I buy local to support game stores and such), I would gladly hook people who want the book up with them. I'm sure the same goes for most people. Unfortunately, not enough books were made available.]

Edit: BTW - this is why I'm willing to scan the book and help roleplayers get it for limited use, but not create a torrent file or anything.

LynMars
2nd of November, 2005, 15:23
If there are Book Stores (Hastings, Borders, etc) or Game Stores in one's town, they're often very accomodating to customers asking them to order something specific, pre-or-otherwise. It requires going out and asking, or maybe placing a phone call and then going out to get it, but it's not usually -that- hard to legally gain a copy of a brand new book. I've seen a couple copies in our local stores.

In the meantime, look at what you post, and if it can possibly be construed by anyone else (especially Admin types) as illegal...reword or don't say it. Cuz it may not have been the intent, but reading it, it sure looks like that's what y'all are saying, except the link to DriveThru, a known retail.

And yes, as obvious as it may be, BRR, it may need to be spelled out in the Rules to be sure. Silly peoples.

Meanwhile, in Back-On-Topic land, I have yet to look at the new SR4 rules or setting. SR has never appealed to me for some reason flavorwise, no clue why. I'll wait til I hear more about it before paging through and passing judgement on this edition.

Viro
2nd of November, 2005, 18:17
If there are Book Stores (Hastings, Borders, etc) or Game Stores in one's town, they're often very accomodating to customers asking them to order something specific, pre-or-otherwise. It requires going out and asking, or maybe placing a phone call and then going out to get it, but it's not usually -that- hard to legally gain a copy of a brand new book. I've seen a couple copies in our local stores.

In the meantime, look at what you post, and if it can possibly be construed by anyone else (especially Admin types) as illegal...reword or don't say it. Cuz it may not have been the intent, but reading it, it sure looks like that's what y'all are saying, except the link to DriveThru, a known retail.

And yes, as obvious as it may be, BRR, it may need to be spelled out in the Rules to be sure. Silly peoples.

Meanwhile, in Back-On-Topic land, I have yet to look at the new SR4 rules or setting. SR has never appealed to me for some reason flavorwise, no clue why. I'll wait til I hear more about it before paging through and passing judgement on this edition.

There are 3 stores in this town that cater to gaming/roleplaying and similar needs. One of them is run by an absolute douche that almost nobody bothers with. His is the hobby store. Another is run particularly laid back, and is just how you said - the owner is perfectly willing to order and so forth. The third, where the books arrived is a comic/games store and the owner is just as willing to set up orders/subscriptions. However, preorder for him from what he said was in May. He didn't hear about it until 1/2 way through the year. Due to significant effort on his part, he was able to get ahold of 2 copies of the book, and got his shop as high as he could on the "who gets more books, and when" list, and has told everyone that he can't get any in for another month.

"Perfectly willing" doesn't equate to "able" in this case. This book has in my case become quite difficult to get ahold of without going to an online store, and even then the shipping times are accounting for out of stocks a lot. No store withing 50 miles of me currently has a copy of the book. And for those reasons right there, I offer a one time promotion of activities that often are classified as Pirating. It's hard to pay for something when it's not available.

Please no more on this subject unless you are an admin smiting me / telling me to redo the thread / etc. I'd rather just look for players.

stealthbanana
3rd of November, 2005, 09:18
So hey I hear there's a shadowrun game going on down here.

I'm in. Are you in? I'm so in.

Mx.O
4th of November, 2005, 10:48
I would be interested in playing. Now that I can actually comprehend the deck/hacking rules, it sounds like an archetype I may enjoy.

Viro
4th of November, 2005, 13:35
Okay, currently on the list:

Stealthbanana
Sparda
Mx O

If you each you would send me a PM w/ what you have for SR knowledge (editions played, core books owned, SR3 extra books owned, how much played, anything else), along with two characters. Depending what resources you have access to, this can be anywhere from a general concept with some skills and important cyberware/magic jotted down to a completed character with background.

On that note, backgrounds will be a chance to score some extra prizes. I'm not sure exactly what all I'll be throwing out, but the more detail there is the better. A great example is if you do a good job fleshing out that 9 point contact you bought, I'm likely to spend a moment and add some extra quirks in along with better availability of Friend of a Friend. Fully fleshed out history can score extra friends and enemies. A strong description of your current personality and morals helps me rp your contacts as actual friends who know you well. That kind of stuff. And yes, I'll award either some extra karma or build points at a set amount for any background that goes appropriately beyond the bare minimum (which for me is about 5-6 paragraphs including early life, school life [if any], college years [or 18-22], and current times).

Finally, spots are still open, *especially* for another GM. Again if I can find someone to work with, I'd like to have two teams in the same world. If you want to volunteer to GM, you've got a player spot in my game, and it should allow 8-10 players to participate.

stealthbanana
5th of November, 2005, 10:32
Got the book.

Am digesting.

stealthbanana
7th of November, 2005, 16:06
Okay.

I claim one of the following three:

1) Technomancer
2) PhysAd
3) Combat Op / Street Sammy

If someone wants to play a technomancer, I'll take the phys ad. If both the phys ad and technomancer are taken, I will be a combat op. I will not relinquish the combat op should the other two be taken.

I'm starting work on my character tonight, and if I choose and submit an archtype before the rest of you, consider it claimed.

Viro - I'll have my two characters to you within the next two days.

Daedalus
8th of November, 2005, 10:27
Having just received the book, I would like to post my interest to play in this game.

So I will.

I would like to play in this game.

Viro
8th of November, 2005, 10:38
That's four interested players. If anyone is interested in running a side-by-side game (same world, not PvP but interaction to some extent allowed), let me know. Otherwise 4-5 people is my limit and if I get more before the game starts I'll be choosing based on submitted characters and quality of their material. I've had other ideas for how to run a small Shadowrun world, but would need a lot more interest than we've got here :P.

Viro
11th of November, 2005, 09:28
Still no submitted characters. If it doesn't fit in a PM, use the email option. It should be current still.

stealthbanana
11th of November, 2005, 09:48
Oh! My apologies. I will be playing a technomancer and I'll have it to you ASAP.

stealthbanana
11th of November, 2005, 10:16
Complete, sans background. Will convert to ORPG compatible format and write background tonight.

As it stands:

Name: Vincent Redman
Archtype: Technomancer
Short Bio: Went to MIT&T until he was trapped in the Matrix during the crash and came out a technomancer. Dropped out due to his parents losing all their assests in the crash and being unable to pay for school any longer.

Viro
12th of November, 2005, 19:37
Complete, sans background. Will convert to ORPG compatible format and write background tonight.

As it stands:

Name: Vincent Redman
Archtype: Technomancer
Short Bio: Went to MIT&T until he was trapped in the Matrix during the crash and came out a technomancer. Dropped out due to his parents losing all their assests in the crash and being unable to pay for school any longer.

Fine and cool, at least get a basic idea for a second character. I can almost guarantee we'll wind up with an overlap, which I'd like to avoid, and will be forming the party out of submitted characters.

stealthbanana
12th of November, 2005, 20:19
Awww do I hafta? I already fleshed him all out and really don't wanna make another one...

Sparda219
12th of November, 2005, 20:28
Did you get the characters I PMed to you?

Viro
13th of November, 2005, 08:02
Yes stealth, even if it's just a general concept with some preliminary numbers. I want you to have a second concept you'd be interested in playing. And yeah sparda, I got 'em.

Shiro Cho
15th of November, 2005, 07:00
Where would I be able to download a copy of SR4?

nightinverse
15th of November, 2005, 11:24
When we have found a legal download, we will tell you.

The_Friendly_Fiend
15th of November, 2005, 11:56
For a legal download of the SR4 rules, visit the following site: http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/wordpress/?p=73

And best of luck to the runners and GM(s)! Here's the hoping that the game and characters don't get fragged!

Mx.O
15th of November, 2005, 12:02
Upon further consideration, I'm afraid that I must withdraw from the proceedings. Sorry, gents.

Viro
19th of November, 2005, 02:58
Stealth
Sparda
Daedelus

Still at three total. Anyone else out there want to play, or even better GM as well? Would be no problem to have each GM play in the other game, but still short on players for that. Hell, not going to get off the ground with only three people interested in playing as right now.

The Alcotroll
19th of November, 2005, 03:15
Every SR game I've played in on this site has died, so the uncharitable might call me a jinx.

I've only got 3.5, but I'll take a look at this download TFF mentioned and see if I can get the relevant info. Consider me as a possibility if you will, and I'll get back to you when I've had a shufty at this site.

stealthbanana
19th of November, 2005, 04:18
Hey, Alcotroll, don't worry mate. Every game I've been in has died.

Even when I get my GMing skills together, it seems my players run off.

Forever must I bear this [GM] mark of shame... *sob*

RogueSavior
27th of November, 2005, 14:44
I bought the book today, and haven't looked it over, but I played some 1st edition with my dad awhile back.

If I can have until, say... Wednesday, I should have two ideas together.

stealthbanana
28th of November, 2005, 09:50
I don't have any time to make another concept.

So it's either my Technomancer or I don't play.

RogueSavior
29th of November, 2005, 07:28
First Character Concept:
Name: Tyko Ettubir
Archtype: Face
Quick Background: Son of a prominent UCAS politician, Tyko grew up popular, well liked straight on through college and law school. However, after flunking out of law school, Tyko had an argument with his father, and hasnít seen him since.

If I have to make another, I will.

Viro
30th of November, 2005, 05:13
Haven't gotten characters with stats attached and full backgrounds from anyone yet. No expressed interest in a side-by-side GM, so I'm going to be limiting to four people. That means shortly after character #4 shows up in my mail/PMs, I'll be done taking players and pick who plays (if more show up over the day or two following the fourth).

Viro
14th of December, 2005, 08:35
Game cancelled due to lack of interest.

RogueSavior
16th of December, 2005, 08:17
Damn... I was looking forward to it.

Sparda219
20th of December, 2005, 23:01
Damn it...

nightinverse
21st of December, 2005, 06:15
*Sigh* The fate of many a game...

Viro
22nd of December, 2005, 17:29
Okay, lemme rephrase that a bit. There was enough casual interest. But the players I was looking for were ones willing to submit 2 full characters ahead of time. This was for a few reasons:

1) Better grasp of the basic mechanics. I made a few characters, and by the time I did the third, I had a much more solid understanding of some of the little parts of chargen, and had read through more of the book in order to design said characters. If I were to redesign the first, it would come out differently, and likely for the better.

2) Options for me as a GM. If I ask 5 people to design 1 character and submit it, odds are fairly good that I'll be GMing a game with 2 Street Samurai, a Phys Ad, and 2 Mages/Shamans. Which is an entirely unrealistic magic ratio. As is I feel I left the door too far open just requiring two characters, not requiring that at least one was magical, or other limitations.

3) Most players for Shadowrun games I've ran IRL and online skimp on their background, and then attempt to fudge things up after they have a grasp of what my game will be like. If I see two basic backgrounds (I only wanted 1-2 paragraphs of bg initially for each character, nothing too hard), it can really help me pick a group of runners that have something in common I can use to motivate them besides nuyen. Again with 1 character, chances are I'll have to do a LOT more work to provide any joining factor besides "the GM says we're doing runs together".

Finally, I was disappointed that NOBODY else wanted to co-run a universe. I've done that system many times in the past, in a variety of ways, and as long as the GMs don't fight over things, the game is much more interesting. Each GM takes on a bit more personality with "his" NPCs. Also, multiple GMs would allow more players to have magical characters without upsetting balances too much, or would allow for two teams with significantly different strengths and weaknesses. Not to mention more interested players could join in, and less problems would arise from lazy or disappearing players.

I am 100% willing to run this game at a later date, but as far as I'm concerned at the moment, there are not enough players willing to put in reasonable effort. Or rather, they aren't willing to put enough effort in for me to feel like I'm not wasting my time designing and running a SR4 universe for them.

stealthbanana
23rd of December, 2005, 01:17
I just lack the time to make two full characters. I know the system just fine, I'm preparing to run it IRL with some friends and have made countless NPCs for the game, plus helped chargen five people.

The solution to the magic thing is to only allow one person to be a magic user. First person to claim it gets it. There are a million ways to ensure party balance that don't include excessive character design.