PDA

View Full Version : New game idea

Dirigible
13th of March, 2005, 17:43
So, here's an idea I just had.

We start a new game, putting under someone's folder for convenience's sake. Each of us creates a character, and we then take turns playing the game with a rotating GM. Yes, that's right, we rig up the unlucky sod's chair on a giant sprinning blade...

Err, no. I mean that, for each Issue/Chapter one of us takes the reigns as GM, and his/her character is set aside for the time being, going off on a separate adventure, or being kidnapped to serve as a McGuffin, or what have you. Next Issue, someone else takes over.

Think about it. All the wide-ranging, multi-GM input advantages of a freeform game, with the unchaos of a regular game! A mutually created world, piece by piece, thanks to all the great imaginations in this game!

Is this floating anyone's boat?

LonePaladin
13th of March, 2005, 18:11
You wouldn't want to include me in it; for some reason, every game I tried to launch here tanked.

Kaos
13th of March, 2005, 18:14
Sounds like a blast, although I must warn you my GM skills have probably gotten quite rusty.

Chronaltap
13th of March, 2005, 18:22
Could be very entertaining... I am intrigued by this notion. I'd definitely be up for it.

Dirigible
13th of March, 2005, 19:42
You wouldn't want to include me in it; for some reason, every game I tried to launch here tanked.

Well, if we start off with some of the others GMing for a few issues, then sort of sneak you in, the game will be so well established that sheer inertia will carry it on :D

BigRedRod
13th of March, 2005, 20:51
Apologies for popping up in here uninvited, but I'd like to mention that in the long long ago we tried this idea with D&D.

It was a great idea but it died before a full roation was managed, this was largely due to a player crop half of which were unhappy about DMing and the sense that there simply was no plot.

So yes, best of luck, as it really is a good idea

Dirigible
14th of March, 2005, 05:29
Bah, away with your negativity, valliard!

Cadrius
14th of March, 2005, 07:51
It's an interesting concept. As I recall, I was part of that original ill-fated attempt at multiple DMing (or DMG Swapping as it was known in our circle of RPG swingers). It survived the first changing of the guard and that was it.

Still, if you've got committed participants, I could see it happening.

GusPorterhouse
14th of March, 2005, 12:53
Howdy, BigRed. Haven't seen you in a while.

As Cads and BRR have pointed out, it depends on the participants. Considering the general rate of turnover in pbp games, I'd say our roster is nigh-invulnerable and that the commitment is there. We solid, as they say. I'm definitely up for the idea and I'll commit to participation, inasmuch as my time will allow. There are some difficulties to consider, such as the fact that we all probably have quite different styles, and we'll have to keep those in mind. Bracing continuity is probably next to impossible; the adventures should probably be thought of and kept episodic. Beyond that:

--we should settle on a power level and tone. I'd like to do something with some power behind it, PL12 or higher and a little bit more four-color (no complaints, that's just become my style of late.)

--A universally available setting should be adapted; either Freedom City or a familiar & easily improvised setting, such as mainstream Marvel continuity.

--We should make efforts to keep the party balanced, so that the loss of a single member for any given adventure isn't crippling. This starts in chargen, and PC's should be well-rounded and versatile as opposed to specializing purely in their niche.

That's all I can think of right now. I can't volunteer for the first shift, because I'm currently having to pull my own game out of a GM-induced bog. Once I have my kit together over there, I'll be more than happy to take my turn.

Dirigible
14th of March, 2005, 19:54
Well, okie. Let's see what we got.

Gus: In for a penny, in for a pound.
Chronaltap: In like Flynn.
Kaos: In the zone.
Dirigible: In sane in the mem brane.

Cadrius: Managed to avoid answering the question in any form.
LonePally: Crisis of faith!

You two guys, let us know what you decide.

--we should settle on a power level and tone...
I agree. I'm all up for high power four-colour nipple shining.

--A universally available setting should be adapted; either Freedom City or a familiar & easily improvised setting, such as mainstream Marvel continuity.

Eh. This, not so much. I don't usually like using published campaign settings (well, except Birthright and Midnight). Especially not such hackneyed ones as FC or Marvel. I'd rather we come up with one of our own, collaborativly creating it piece by piece.

--We should make efforts to keep the party balanced...
That seems reasonable.

Anyway, as I'm sure you might have guessed by now, I'm hardly one to come to the table sans-ideas. Here's my suggestion for a framework for the game...

The Primacy
An episodic adventure in wide-screen, high power superheroics, in the style of the Justice League of America or the Authority. A four-colour game, but without the native silliness or naivety of the Gold or Silver ages.

The PCs are the Primacy: the first, last and best line of defence for the Earth. At PL 12-15, they are forces to be reckoned with: global climate patterns, the political futures of nations, the fates of armies, the very forces of the cosmos are in the palms of their hands. They have powers of great scope, whether that be energy blasts of vast area or the ability to heal thousands at once.

But the foes they face are of equal magnitude: alien warfleets, primal gods and demonic prophecies of Ragnarok, entire rogue nations and sky-darkening legions of supervillains are their adversaries.

There are difficulties just as severe as the latest planet-eating blackhole or doomsday monster, though. How do you maintian a personal life, when the world expects yo to save it every other week?

The Primacy operates a network of Embassies, offices built in major cities across the world for public relations, communications and global situation monitoring. Each Embassy has a teleportational gateway to the Hub, the Primacy's headquarters; the difficulty is, no-one, not even the heroes, knows where exactly the Hub is, or who built it. It might be under the surface of the Earth, in an asteroid, or floating invisibly above the Pacific ocean.

Cadrius
15th of March, 2005, 00:41
Cadrius: Managed to avoid answering the question in any form.

It's what I do best.

The Alcotroll
15th of March, 2005, 00:50

There's still hope!

They're not dead, just sleeping...

Cadrius
15th of March, 2005, 00:50
Okay, a real answer.

I'm leery.

It isn't a worry of longjevity or quality of players. I'm concerned that I simply cannot craft a compelling chapter in a superhero game. I should be able to. I mean, I read comics all the time as a kid and still love the whole hero genre today. Yet every time I attempt to sit down and devise something, my mind draws one of two things: 1. A blank. 2. A shamefully ripped off plot. Neither of which satisfies me.

Maybe you should add "Crisis of faith" next to my name as well.

Cadrius
15th of March, 2005, 02:22
Of course as soon as I finished posting that, I got an idea. Bloody hell. I'm still not all that familiar with higher PL games. Most of my M&M experience has come from below 10.

Kaos
15th of March, 2005, 08:13
It isn't a worry of longjevity or quality of players. I'm concerned that I simply cannot craft a compelling chapter in a superhero game. I should be able to. I mean, I read comics all the time as a kid and still love the whole hero genre today. Yet every time I attempt to sit down and devise something, my mind draws one of two things: 1. A blank. 2. A shamefully ripped off plot. Neither of which satisfies me.

I'm in the same boat you are, its been a long time since I have GMed and with the quality of writing that is displayed here makes me wonder if I will be able to measure up.

But then how can you become better unless you challenge yourself

LonePaladin
15th of March, 2005, 10:16
Okay, you want something official from me? I won't be able to help. I have absolutely no access to the M&M rules, and the things I'd come up with would be overly biased by the superhero rules that I DO know. Count me in as a lurker, but I can't go past that.

GusPorterhouse
15th of March, 2005, 12:50
Cads: I go through the same thing every time I start an adventure. I have shamelessly ripped off everything I could get my hands on, and have learned a lesson: it's not the what, it's the how. Granted, none of us are Mark Millar, Garth Ennis, Joss Whedon, or Owain Abramczyk, but the point is that we're all here for the same purpose. Generally, all that's essential is to get the ball rolling and keep it going. Good players, and I think everyone here counts, will try to give as much as they get.

Kaos: Ditto.

LP: Hey there--you got some serious buckin' up to do, chum. :P Would you still be interested in at least playing, then?

LonePaladin
15th of March, 2005, 13:50
"Buckin' up"? On MY budget? I just recently had to sell all of my D&D books. Anyway, I appreciate the vote of confidence; I'll consider playing, but I'll want to see the background info and such first. Not to mention coming up with a plausible concept.

Cadrius
15th of March, 2005, 14:12
Giving Blimpie praise will only make him even more insufferable. I strongly advise against it.

Dirigible
15th of March, 2005, 14:48
Granted, none of us are Mark Millar, Garth Ennis, Joss Whedon, or Owain Abramczyk

That's true. Even I'm not.

LP, I think we'd all be cool if you just want to play and not take a turn on the Seat of Evil.

Cadrius
15th of March, 2005, 14:53
Are you or are you not the man in question, Mister A-bram-chick?

Dirigible
15th of March, 2005, 15:09
It's true! I am, in fact, the bearer of the most handsome name on that list.

OK, so I guess we'd better decide what sort of game we want..

High/Low PL?
Tight Metaplot (one that provides a strong focus and antagonists, eg, we're all escapees from the same goverment experiment) or Loose Metaplot? (eg, we're just part of the same superteam)
Premade or Custom Setting?
Aliens? Magic? Elder Gods? Time Travel? Multiversal Dimensions?

...and I'm sure we can think up many more aspects to consider.

Chronaltap
15th of March, 2005, 17:09
Oooohh... I don't think I could sufficiently run a supers game without the possibility of Elder Gods eating the Empire state building or the players getting shunted to another world just for kicks... So I'm going to say I definitely want those in.
I'm kinda in favor of the setting getting cobbled together as we go along each from our own GM perspectives.
I myself am in favor of high PL's cause they're just nifty...
And as for Metaplot... that would be rough to manage with a round robin style of GM'ing.. so I'm thinking loose would be the easiest way to go.

Dirigible
15th of March, 2005, 17:36
I agree, Chronal. Though I think, as a general guideline, we should work to keep the alternate dimensions, time travel and tentacles from dominating the mood too much.

Cadrius
16th of March, 2005, 04:15
But...but...I wanted my progeny from alternate timelines and dimensions to show up and ask for money! That's a story arc if I ever saw one!

Chronaltap
16th of March, 2005, 05:41
Well.. they still can..... and don't think that may not come up... but having them show up every week for their allowance would be a touch much don't you think?

Cadrius
16th of March, 2005, 05:53
But why else would I take the Wealth feat if not to support my trans-dismenional bastards?

Dirigible
18th of March, 2005, 16:26
Still kinda waiting for game suggestions form you guys, yo.

Another idea: A low powered, non-'superhero' game, where the PCs are members of a secret government or private agency that investigates the abnormal. Something in the vein of Jake 2.0, the Invisible Man, the Sentinel and Hellboy; characters have incredible abilities, but are not supers per se.

Cadrius
19th of March, 2005, 01:03
My derranged thoughts.

PL: I'm most familiar, as I said, with lower PLs, but I'm willing to give higher ones a shot. I have found though, that I'm not always much of a person for perfectly designed baddies. I like crafting stories and having them unfold. The nitty-gritty of building villains and heroes isn't my forte. I suppose this is a chance to change that.

Setting: absolutely a custom one. I haven't regularly read comics in probably over a decade and thus aren't up to date on, well, anything. Plus it lets me infuse custom villains without worry about Dr. Doom crushing them under his metal, Latverian boots.

I'd prefer it in the present day or in the near future. My first-hand geographical knowledge is limited to North America and Western Europe. If Blimpie wants it set in NZ, well, I'll be out of my element. Then again, the place is covered in sheep and hobbits anyway. How hard can it be to imagine?

Magic: Yes. If we allow for supers to bench press buildings, I think a little of the arcane can exist.

Multidimensional Travel: As much fun as it would be for my multidimensional illegitimate children to come calling each chapter, I vote we do less of this. It's fun as a diversion, but ultimately creates more headaches. "How many alternate Earths do we have to save from the third reich again?"

Time Travel: If we allow everything else, it has to come too. I don't like using it much though. Pain in my ass.

Elder Gods: the Lovecraft, er, lover in me wants this. Yet their existance alone can drastically darken the atmosphere of the game. If you folks are down with that, then so am I.

Plus Wreck could totally take Cthulhu. Ia!

Aliens: fewer aliens is better than Lots o' Aliens.

Metaplot: A mix between the two. I love a good nemesis (see: Maim) and I love close ties between the characters, but sometimes you just gotta branch out for an issue or two.

My Offer: the PCs are formidable, but not earth-spanning. There are still a select few heroes that are above them. This allows for us to operate on a local or global level as we choose. More importantly it dodges my issue with groups constantly trying to assassinate us or the US government trying to slap a collar on us.

Possible Plots (Global): Edited out in case I actually want to use this one.

Possible Plots (Local): Typical villains try to take over a city, but actually think ahead for once and develop a plan for HOLDING it.

Possible Plots (Dimensional): Invaders from Dimension Z, with a twist!

Cadrius
19th of March, 2005, 01:47
Additional Setting: Stuporheroes!

Be it the adventures of Guinness Guy and Dr. Beer against the maniacal plans of Princess Prohibition, or the struggles of Fairly Impressive Man and his sidekick Spontaneous Phoenix against the unstoppable Cotton Candy Monster, the world is at risk...in a slapstick sort of way.

It's the hardest kind of setting to run. Being consistantly funny is not easy by any means, and yet I'm usually at home when it comes to satire.

I don't expect it to be picked, but I figured I had to throw it out there.

And yes, I thought of Guinness Guy last night while having a few pints at the pub. I thought, "What if I was like Popeye, but instead of spinach, I needed Guinness?"

It was an attractive possibility to say the least.

GusPorterhouse
19th of March, 2005, 04:13
Dibs on The Tick.

Dirigible
19th of March, 2005, 07:01
Plus Wreck could totally take Cthulhu. Ia!

Well, Apollo of the Authority did pop him once...

Dirigible
19th of March, 2005, 09:41
So, our ideas so far:
In general, it seems most of us want PCs in the higher end of the power spectrum; we want all the weird-ass stuff from comics, but in in judicious moderation;

Stuporheroes/Section-8
Self explanatory.

Cadrius' Cadre
The heros are powers in their own right, but not the greatest.

the Primacy
The threats are world-shattering. So are the heros.
(The only real difference between this and Cadrius's idea seems to be one of scale and who is above our protagonists).

Dirigible
19th of March, 2005, 10:22
Cadrius' Cadre
I can think of two interesting ways to handle this idea:

We could stress the fact that our characters are second best, and we, and everyone else, knows it. Though we're far beyond ordinary mortals, we never stack up against the other team. We never get the hot supermodel boy/girlfriends that they do, the media always compares our powers in a desultory fashion, the top of the shelf supevillains consider us laughable wannabes, and we get booked for all the worst talkshows.

Or, the greater heroes are the face-men: the PR team, the poster boys and girls. meanwhile, while they hog the limelight and wrestle Yog Sothoth, our characters slink through the shadows, dealing with the real, but less tentacled threats discreetly. Our war is the war of misdirection.

Kaos
19th of March, 2005, 11:24
I have always liked the fighting from the shadows, protecting a world from evil that it doesn't know exists motiff, Like Hellboy.

Dirigible
19th of March, 2005, 13:14
More importantly it dodges my issue with groups constantly trying to assassinate us or the US government trying to slap a collar on us.

The kinds of characters I was imagining or of the level of power and popularity that neither of those things will be too much of a hassel :D

Dirigible
19th of March, 2005, 15:20
the Cause
Brought together by the shadowy multibillionaire known to them only as Jude, the Cause is a covert team of superpowered individuals that handle secret threats and sensitive situations around the world. While other superheroes wear flashy capes and costumes and do battle with alien fleets, trans-dimensional invaders and megalomaniac supervillains, the Cause wages a silent war in the background, mostly eschewing the trappings of superheroism. They clean up the problems that conspicuous supers ignore or donít see; they keep the bottled demons of agenda-twisted science firmly in check and seek the truth in the heart of dark conspiracies, and keep the public in comfortable ignorance of the true, precarious nature of their world.

Any good? I think this sort of game would work better as PL 10-ish, rather than higher, and would suit more subtle characters.

Dirigible
24th of March, 2005, 06:43
So, I'm not sensing a lot of enthus'ms here, as Gus would say.

Cadrius
24th of March, 2005, 07:11
It definitely takes things down a darker road. This is fine by me. I think the lack of enthusiasm is showing because folks are waiting for you to take the charge. This is technically your baby, after all. We've got the paternity tests to prove it too.

I know I'd be happy if we want to picked a definitive setting and began brainstorming basic concepts. We've got preferences listed now, but nothing definitive. We need not map everything out ("Nuh-uh! We agreed Cthulhu was sleeping off the coast of Chile, not Columbia!") but basic laws should be laid down. It'll go a long way toward making sure everyone grasps the atmosphere of the game as well.

And if we go the darker route, we might be better off starting a little under PL 10. That or try and grittify the rules a bit.

Then again, it would be fun to run Dagger against the nocturnal hordes.

Kaos
24th of March, 2005, 07:55
I like the idea of a group going behind the scenes, cleaning up the other supers messes.

My suggestion is to have different characters for each GM, have them all tied into one large group, same world etc. Each GM could be like a chapter in a book or a different issue but keep the same premise (like the Justice League did) I would hate to unexpectantly wreck someone's continuity because I killed off Cad's character.

Dirigible
24th of March, 2005, 14:58
OK, let's try this. We create a world with three groups in it:

the Primacy
The foremost heros in the world, the First, Last and Best line of defence. (PL ~15)
the Penultimates
The guys that weren't quite good enough for the Primacy, who've gathered together and formed their own sort of limited-scope spin off, perhaps as guardians of a particular city. Sometimes, when the Primacy are off bitch-slapping the latest hypervillain, they're left holding the ball and just a little out of their league. (PL ~10)
the Cause
A group that operates as a superpowered special ops team more than anything else. They handle secret threats from the shadows, quietly and finally. (PL ?)

We could maybe include more groups if everyone wants; eg, the Crucible, a team consisting mostly of magicians and supernatural creature that handle eldritch, gibbous and magical threats (for a World of Darkness vibe), or the Gatecrashers a group that spend their time exploring and bouncing around alternate worlds (for an offbeat, slackers/weirdos thing).

(Anyone notice how inordinately fond I am of superteams with named : The (a cool word)? :) )

Now, as originally suggested, each of us takes turns at GMing, and selects one of these to run for that issue; that way, we're not stuck running one team or genre, we can try out different ideas and themes, and no one HAS to run a game they don't want to.

I think this idea is a neat synthesis. We'll go with this unless anyone is violently opposed (just incase anyone is, as Cad suggested, waiting for me to take charge :D ). So, along with your thoughts and input, post a Yea/Nay.

GusPorterhouse
25th of March, 2005, 05:28
Rotating teams can be really cool, but it brings up the issue of advancement. I'm a fan of quick advancement on pbp games, because a single adventure can take six months of realtime, and spreading it around 3-5 characters can make them practically static. Just something to think about for the future.

I'll give a shot at running a Primacy adventure. We need to settle on a final PL, I say 16, and certain group assumptions. Headquarters, for example: Earth-bound, helicarrier, or orbital platform? Are the PC's independents or tied to certain world governments? Then we need to agree on a style. My games, for example, tend to stress action and combat, but character builds with that in mind may not work so well when one of you other "guys"* steps up with an intrigue-based style.

Also, as I've said before, I steal game ideas like Liefeld on a deadline. So, don't be surprised if you've seen this movie before. Any requests or ideas? I'm open. Let me know what kind of concepts you "guys"* have in mind.

*=this is a sausage party, right?

Kaos
25th of March, 2005, 07:02
I could give a shot with the the Penultimates realising that:

A) Haven't GMed in years
B) My grammer and spelling are horrible.

And like Gus my ideas are absolute rip offs of others

Dirigible
25th of March, 2005, 07:53
I did volunteer to take the first GMing slot, so you guys don't need to worry about that :)

We need to settle on a final PL, I say 16, and certain group assumptions.

[quote]My games, for example, tend to stress action and combat, but character builds with that in mind may not work so well when one of you other "guys"* steps up with an intrigue-based style.

Thats part of the reason we have different groups. Got an intrigue-based idea? Volunteer to run the Cause next. Got a world-saving widescren special effects bonanza? GM the Primacy when your turn comes up. Something in the middle, a gritty-ish, X-man/Spiderman type of thing? Go for the Penultimates.

Dirigible
26th of March, 2005, 06:31
*=this is a sausage party, right?

I prefer the term 'rigid lighter than air party'.

Anyone thing we should invite some others into this? Five (me, Gus, Chronal, Kaos, Cads) is probably okay, but...

GusPorterhouse
30th of March, 2005, 12:17
Where do you want character ideas/sheets posted?

Dirigible
31st of March, 2005, 14:39
I've sent a request to our benevolent (read: evil) overlords to start a foum for this game. Unfortunately, ORP only allows one GM per game, so much of the actual forum structure will have to be handled by yours truely.

Dirigible
31st of March, 2005, 19:35
..and with pleasing alacrity, they have provided!

Link to our brand spankin' new (who's doing the spanking?) game, Global. (http://www.online-roleplaying.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=696)

BigRedRod
31st of March, 2005, 20:08
I can most likely do some jiggery-pokery with the forum to make you all mods, poke me if you want me to try.

..and with pleasing alacrity, they have provided!
But more importantly, I did it with no sacrifices!