PDA

View Full Version : Iaijutsu

Feld
13th of April, 2003, 12:06
anyone practice it or know who someone who does? id be interested to learn the art...

Cadogan Trahem
13th of April, 2003, 12:11
You'd be hard pressed to get someone to teach you Iaido let alone Iaijutsu outside of Japan. The same goes for Kendo. Both those Martial Arts are more centred around the Japanese Islands then anywhere else. Unlike Karate, Judo/Jujitsu, and others (even Ninjitsu has a larger following outside of Japan then Kendo believe it or not.)

The Iaijutsu technique is hard, and most people (despite the fact they don't Kata [bout, fight, or duel]) still get injured. In the Draw/Slice/Sheath movement they often do something more like Draw/Slice/Stab-Self-In-Hand.

Feld
13th of April, 2003, 12:14
damn, ok thanks, still wanna learn it tho, guess i'll just have to make a trip to japan! heh...maybe after highschool......

anyway thanks again

SponkleofInfini
13th of April, 2003, 12:42
Actually in Australia there is a kendo assotiation based in Sydney or something. Can't speak for america though but would figure at least some major cities would have some sortbof association of the like. Check around you're bound to find something.

Cadogan Trahem
13th of April, 2003, 15:10
America is bound to have more then one Kendo school, but Iaido (and its counterpart Iaijutsu) are extremely rare anywhere outside of Japan. Largely because they serve no practical use anymore, even for self defense.

In Fuedal Times, the Iaijutsu draw was designed to allow a warrior to draw his weapon and strike from a seated position. As though he was ambushed, or attacked while not prepared.

Outside of this type of situtation it has no real purpose while Karate, Judo, Taichi and other unarmed styles can be used for self defense in the streets. Even Kendo can be used (if you have a stick or a pole or something) for self defense, but Kendo is largely popular because there is a World Kendo Assosiation or something which holds tournements.

Iaido is just one of those things which no longer serves much purpose and is only still around because of traditionalists in Japan (not that it is a bad thing).

The_Friendly_Fiend
13th of April, 2003, 17:59
My Uncle teaches Kendo up here in Seattle. He even teaches the basics at one of the local community centers. It's not quite up to the level that the main school is, but I suppose something's better than nothing. They perform demonstrations and exhibitions throughout Washington State. And every year they travel back to Japan for tournaments and stuff.

Feld
13th of April, 2003, 18:06
ok thanks friendly, but unforunately im currently 15 so i think getting to washington will be a little hard hehe

but ill keep lookin for a place closer to home, nebraska *sigh*

BigRedRod
13th of April, 2003, 20:43
One of my little cunning plans is to take up Kendo next year
I'm fairly sure there is a uni society

and it's wanging people with great big sticks

Cadrius
13th of April, 2003, 23:30
Then telling you I randomly picked up some Kendo in Maine probably isn't going to help. One thing I've noticed though, even with all your armor you still can't go all out on someone. A buddy of mine made my ears ring for about 15 minutes after one really good hit.

AbusePuppy
14th of April, 2003, 03:36
Haha! I've actually been researching sword arts in general and Iajutsu in particular, not because I have even the slightest chance of learning them but simply because. I have, however, found a few useful links.

http://www.kvac.uu.se/~agback/iaido.html/
Lots of info about some tournaments and such. I haven't read through it all; you can probably dig something useful out of it.

http://www.open.uoguelph.ca/swords/links.htm
Links to martial arts of all kinds; the above link comes off of here.

http://www.budokai.info/schools_styles.htm
Scroll down to the Iado section for some more links, most of them Iado/Iajutsu federations you could join. I think.

http://www.swordforum.com/
This is actually more dedicated to collecting and making of swords, but there are some decent articles (and I assume links) for those who want to recreate ancient fighting styles.

Hope all of this is useful...

-SMAP

"Lowlander: there can be a few."

WhoNAN
18th of April, 2003, 01:36
As said before Kendo is easily found in the states (compared to the others)...

Big warning though if you do find and pursue Iajitsu or Iaido... research the history of the instructor. I learned this in dealing with Ninjutsu.... there are very few true instructors trained in the traditional art, the vast majority of the schools in these arts in the US will not have instructors trained under authentic lineage (in other words they won't be worth it).

Since my Sensei left town its been damn hard to even find a worthwhile Goshin Budo Jiu Jitsu instructor... most anyone and everyone has commercialized all the martial arts.

Anyways I am rambling now.... research your instructor... and his/her instructor... and so on and so forth.

Maeko
18th of April, 2003, 02:28
Absolutely right, and for each and every discipline. I know I've been inordinately lucky with my Northern Shaolin instructors, found the best around at the first try, but some of those I've met later are real con-artists.

Feld
18th of April, 2003, 22:25
ok thanks again guys