PDA

View Full Version : Step into the Spotlight

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

BigRedRod
26th of June, 2007, 07:24
Yep, it's been pissing it down all day, Sheffield is now in a state of emergency. All the news channels here are covering it and nothing else really.

Edit. Hmm, first confirmed death. It's somewhat less magical and more serious now.

zachol
26th of June, 2007, 07:31
bbc.com says... "Trapped man dies amid flood chaos," and "Teenager swept away by floods."

itches
2nd of July, 2007, 00:43
<itches[OneEye]> Someone on tv just said guestimate
<Silent_Fox> guestimate?
<Silent_Fox> what show?
<itches[OneEye]> you know, I didn't think to look
<Silent_Fox> lol

itches
2nd of July, 2007, 05:15
Wii Lightsaber Game (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14500)
In response to[...]"What would it take to make a lightsaber game for the Wii?", [...] President of LucasArts [...] commented: "We’re all over that, and internally we have already played a lightsaber game on the Wii. [...] There’ll be some stuff out this Fall"

I'm preparing for disappointment, simply because it can't possible be as good as I imagine it being.

BigRedRod
2nd of July, 2007, 08:34
See everybody is really excited about this. They fail to realise that the motion sensing on the Wii is pretty limited at best.

Skidrow
2nd of July, 2007, 09:05
I dislike the Wii, mostly because my nephew is better at it than me. I also dislike a majority of the gameplay, simply because the sensor is way touchy; the slightest movement gets exaggerated into a full on swing.

BigRedRod
2nd of July, 2007, 09:10
So far the only decent game for it is the Mario football one, and it barely uses any of the motion stuff. It's a shame that most of the games I'm interested in for it also don't use the motion stuff, it makes me wonder whether they should just be ported to something with a proper controller.

LuneMoonshadow
2nd of July, 2007, 10:19
Can't you use a GC controller for the Wii? I've heard it works for the unlockable games, perhaps it would work for others.

BigRedRod
2nd of July, 2007, 17:20
You can, but not for Wii games, just for games you buy from the virtual console store and run on the emulator.

BrianL03
3rd of July, 2007, 01:37
Wii Lightsaber Game (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14500)

I'm preparing for disappointment, simply because it can't possible be as good as I imagine it being.

If you've played the game Red Steel (I think that's the title), you'll see how bad the motion sensing is for a dueling system setup. The game tried to include katana duels, and it doesn't do anything right.

SinbadEV
3rd of July, 2007, 03:46
Okay, personally I've played quite a few games on the Wii so far... not all of them but a few. I've also read quite a bit about the equipment etc. that is in the wiimote and understand that it is capable of quite a bit of prcision... but as you say is very limmited... and I too have been frustrated by these limitations.

It is, however, my experience and understanding the the "point" is very accurate, and the "tilt" feature is accurate to about 90 degrees (you can hook them up to your computer with blue tooth to test this)... so I personally believe all of the crap control issues we've seen so far are entirely due to software (play WarioWare... some of those mini-games are spot on)... but that doesn't mean lucasarts is going to be able to make a good light saber battle game... just that I think it's possible.

itches
3rd of July, 2007, 04:03
When I say I'm preparing for disappointment, it's because I fully expect the game to come with a custom wiimote that doubles as a lightsabre.

nightinverse
3rd of July, 2007, 04:12
Hey, it can't be as bad as, oh, anything for the other consoles.

omni-roach
4th of July, 2007, 03:27
Although there is a chance they're making it kinda like the katana duels from Red Steel (Which really didn't work to well), there could also be a chance that they're going to make it like the sword-slashing from the Twilight Princess, (Flick the wiimote and Link swings his sword.) which, in my opinion, worked out fairly well.

Also, you can use the GC controller when it come to playing GC games on the Wii. They're saying that you can play the new Super Smash Bros. game with the GC controller.

BrianL03
4th of July, 2007, 03:40
Although there is a chance they're making it kinda like the katana duels from Red Steel (Which really didn't work to well), there could also be a chance that they're going to make it like the sword-slashing from the Twilight Princess, (Flick the wiimote and Link swings his sword.) which, in my opinion, worked out fairly well.

Also, you can use the GC controller when it come to playing GC games on the Wii. They're saying that you can play the new Super Smash Bros. game with the GC controller.

The problem with using sword-slashing is that a lot of people, familiar with the movies and how lightsabers were used in those, won't be comfortable with the adoption of a different way of fighting with them, unless I'm mistaken about how Princess' system operates.

SinbadEV
4th of July, 2007, 03:56
There is a "sword fighting" mini game in warioware where you hold the wiimote in "Umbrella Form" and tilt it side to side to block slashes and swing it to slice... also there is a minigame both in sonic and the secret rings where you "point" the wiimote in order to catch fruit(etc) on the end of a rapier... both of these work quite well so what I envision is the tilt sensor for blocks and the slash motion sensor to attack... with possibly the point sensor for blocking blaster fire

omni-roach
4th of July, 2007, 13:39
There is a "sword fighting" mini game in warioware where you hold the wiimote in "Umbrella Form" and tilt it side to side to block slashes and swing it to slice... also there is a minigame both in sonic and the secret rings where you "point" the wiimote in order to catch fruit(etc) on the end of a rapier... both of these work quite well so what I envision is the tilt sensor for blocks and the slash motion sensor to attack... with possibly the point sensor for blocking blaster fire

I personally don't think you should point to block blaster fire, but rather I see pointing being used for shooting said blaster fire, but using the tilt sensor to block blaster fire as well.

Hey, if a Jedi can do it, I'm sure I can too!

The Alcotroll
12th of July, 2007, 22:57
I know we don't like politics in here, but "Giant Badgers loose in Basra!" (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article2059824.ece) was too good to pass up.

BigRedRod
12th of July, 2007, 23:19
It isn't that we don't like politics so much as it is against the rules. That and we don't like. Given that this isn't anything to do with politics we're okay though.

I love the idea of the English military going out badger baiting and then releasing them in occupied territories. Those things sound pretty scary though, badgers the size of small deer. And they eat people and cows. The last line of the article is fantastic too.

zachol
13th of July, 2007, 01:33
Ha ha, badgers.

I could totally see the English doing this.
"Wot, badgers? Oh no no no, we aren't setting loose badgers."

The Alcotroll
13th of July, 2007, 05:23
Something like that... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6295138.stm)

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area."

omni-roach
14th of July, 2007, 04:47
...nor have we been collecting eggs and releasing serpents into the Shatt al-Arab river.

I can pretty much guarantee that we will be hearing more about that sometime in the next month.

The Alcotroll
14th of July, 2007, 06:44
It gets better!

Newsbiscuit article, posted 20th June. (http://newsbiscuit.com/article/badgers-to-be-sent-to-iraq-134)

Now that's surreal...

omni-roach
14th of July, 2007, 10:36
http://newsbiscuit.com/images/666.jpg

This picture makes me fear badgers a hell of a lot more.

BrianL03
15th of July, 2007, 00:11
Hey, everyone knows they're only there for the mushrooms and snakes.

nightinverse
16th of July, 2007, 03:43
I don't think I'm ever going to own pets again. I have no idea where the stench emanates from, but I know I don't like it.

The Alcotroll
16th of July, 2007, 03:47
I imagine they felt the same way.

SinbadEV
18th of July, 2007, 09:50
I'm just not sure where to post this and I was unable to find anything about it in search... has anyone proposed a "Magic: The Gathering" Setting/Play Mechanic...

Way I see it is you start with something like D20 Modern (or other non magical setting) and then have people collect Mana Pouches and Artifacts that allow the casting of spells... like in the Magic novels I've read... and casting would be a skill with a DC relative to the strength of the spell... it's a rather rich mythos/multiverse and I don't see any interest in it... maybe if someone wants to be experimental they could make up a game to try it out?

I don't see it as a "Dueling" game, I see it as people will not use magic because it takes a while for mana to "recharge" and you risk failing so it's only used when absolutely neccessary.

PCs would start with a certain number of cards woth of spell components and mana or something like that... I don't know exactly how or if it would work at all.

omni-roach
18th of July, 2007, 12:03
I had a friend tell me that he was running a Magic game using GURPS, but I haven't asked him about the details.

I'll see if I can't figure out how he was running that game and I'll let you know.

zachol
18th of July, 2007, 21:24
It appears that someone's gotten a hold of the last Harry Potter book and posted it (well, a series of pictures of the open pages) online.

Meh.

BigRedRod
18th of July, 2007, 22:46
I'm not that big a fan of the Harry Potter series, but I feel that I have to race to read the last book as otherwise some cunt will spoil the plot for me. And a warning, I will ban anybody who posts spoilers here without muchos labelling (although the Harry Potter thread I made whenever the last one came out is fair game). And that isn't fake banning, this is the kind that means you never, ever, can come back to this website.

I do hate it when people spoil things for me. I doubt I am alone in this.

The thread where you can spoil away is here (http://online-roleplaying.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4783).

zachol
18th of July, 2007, 22:51
I'd like to see you try.

BrianL03
19th of July, 2007, 00:31
It appears that someone's gotten a hold of the last Harry Potter book and posted it (well, a series of pictures of the open pages) online.

I'm not that big a fan of the Harry Potter series, but I feel that I have to race to read the last book as otherwise some cunt will spoil the plot for me. And a warning, I will ban anybody who posts spoilers here without muchos labelling (although the Harry Potter thread I made whenever the last one came out is fair game). And that isn't fake banning, this is the kind that means you never, ever, can come back to this website.

I do hate it when people spoil things for me. I doubt I am alone in this.

I'm in complete agreement with you BRR. Some people just do that kind of thing to enjoy ruining other people's lives, and it's a pain in the butt for the rest of us who like some aspect of order and responsibility. Sadly, there's little in the way of rules for dealing with stuff like this in real life, but I'm in favor of your approach with the alt. thread and a general non-spoiler-marked ban in the rest of the forums.

I think it's their way of saying "I finished this first!" like reading is some sort of race that one has to win in order to inflate their ego.

The Alcotroll
19th of July, 2007, 01:21
But... but the books are so bad!

Seriously, I've seen better writing from eleven year-olds: I wouldn't even mark it at a level five. There's plenty of imagination, but the quality of description and the textual organisation is pathetic.

BigRedRod
19th of July, 2007, 03:11
We were worried it was lost forever.

The Alcotroll
19th of July, 2007, 03:13
The original was shouting "Macbeth!"

That speech-bubble made it all worthwhile!

BigRedRod
19th of July, 2007, 03:17
Man, I certainly hang on to all of my old crap. It is a shame that shitty mspaint adverts never took off, they are so much more fun.

zachol
19th of July, 2007, 04:01
What... the... f...

Alright, alright, nevermind. Obviously some inside joke from when I was still five or something.

The Alcotroll
19th of July, 2007, 04:29
All will be revealed...

SinbadEV
19th of July, 2007, 05:28
Conclusive proof that, contrary to popular belief, Tim Buckley does not read penny-arcade (and possibly more evidence that he's a hack)

Posted today (07-18-2007)
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070718

Posted almost 4 months ago (03-28-2007)
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28

BigRedRod
19th of July, 2007, 05:46
They need to get off their arses and release the full version of Puzzle quest on the PC.

SinbadEV
19th of July, 2007, 06:03
Yeah... I definitely like having a portable version but the PC version was boss (are we still allowed to use that word?)

nightinverse
19th of July, 2007, 06:25
Wicked is out, boss is in.

BigRedRod
19th of July, 2007, 19:25
But... but the books are so bad!

Seriously, I've seen better writing from eleven year-olds: I wouldn't even mark it at a level five. There's plenty of imagination, but the quality of description and the textual organisation is pathetic.
The first two were poorly written but Rowling clearly started taking evening classes as she managed to get her act together and as a series they seem up there in the upper echelons of children's literature. I'm slightly concerned about the final book being rubbish though, she has had clumsy endings in each of the six so far, hopefully this doesn't mean the entire seventh book will suffer in a manner similar to Stephen "Doesn't know how to write an ending to save his life" King.

In other news the Order Of The Phoenix film was pretty good. I was impressed considering they had changed director and it was based on one of the weaker books. Although Daniel Radcliffe isn't the weedy nerd that Harry is meant to be any more, which is very funny.

itches
19th of July, 2007, 20:21
Stop posting advertisements to your games in here.

BigRedRod
19th of July, 2007, 20:28
It might have made more sense to post it in the actual recruitment thread.

The Alcotroll
19th of July, 2007, 20:37
I only stuck it there because Zachol wanted to know what the fuck we were on about.

If it makes you feel better about yourself, I can remove it though.

nightinverse
20th of July, 2007, 02:43
I actually think the quality of writing and development peaked at the third book - and that wasn't the greatest children's text ever written.

Gnarsh
22nd of July, 2007, 07:26
So I just finished the book.

It's not too bad.

LynMars
22nd of July, 2007, 07:33
I read it all night, soon as I got home (first chapter in the checkout line, actually, Waldenbooks had a nice system setup to keep things running smoothly and quickly). Some pacing issues, I thought, and a few things seemed to tie up weirdly to me (but I was running on next to no sleep, too) and for some reason the epilogue left me slightly dissatisfied somehow.

Overall though, I did enjoy it; Rowling definitely improved her writing skills over time in several regards and the major questions were answered, I think.

BigRedRod
22nd of July, 2007, 21:33
My parents just came back from the supermarket with a copy, so it's been added to the book stack. I might shunt it a few places up though to get it out of the way and so that I may stop living in eternal fear of spoilers.

On a lighter note they bought the adult cover rather than the horrible eye sore one. So well done them. I don't really understand why the publisher couldn't find a competent artist to do the covers.

The Alcotroll
22nd of July, 2007, 22:51
Well they couldn't find a competent author to do the book, so the pictures on the front should be the least of your worries.

itches
22nd of July, 2007, 22:57
I quote someone else on the topic of her being a good author.
There are those who say Rowling is a poor writer. They are wrong. She has two knacks that make her extremely good at what she does: she has an absolute power of summing up everything you need to know about an entire character in a single paragraph, and she creates characters who feel like people you know. That’s a trick that looks effortless when you do it, but really it’s quite hard.

BigRedRod
22nd of July, 2007, 23:12
Well they couldn't find a competent author to do the book, so the pictures on the front should be the least of your worries.
Given that you believe The Handmaid's Tale to also be a poor book I think we can agree that you aren't allowed an opinion here for your own safety.

The Alcotroll
23rd of July, 2007, 01:11
We've already established that you're only liking Margaret Atwood to be contrary, so you can shut up about that.

As for Rowling, I can't fault her imagination but her prose is at a level that I'd expect from an intelligent Year 6 pupil (something that a lot of teachers are quite pissed off about, given Rowling's evident intelligence and the popularity of her novels amongst children).

She's unadventurous with her choice of vocabulary and her dialogue too often relies on the "said [character adverb]" frame, which after a few repetitions within the same paragraph becomes stilting and awkward. Her textual organisation is lame as well, and I've seen better use of complex sentences in kids' homework.

That's without getting into the generic plot and twists, and the disquieting social subtext inherent in the novels.

Oh, and I'd be interested to know who it is that has praise for her character portraits, given that all but the most central of characters are 2-dimensional caricatures.

omni-roach
23rd of July, 2007, 07:16
Sure the art for her books are usually shit at best, but unless your buying a picture book, are you really buying a book for art?

I personally congratulate her because she's doing one of the hardest things an author can do: get millions of kids all over the world away from the TV and read a book. There are people out there with their kids camping outside of bookstores waiting for midnight so that they can get the new Harry Potter book, not because the parents want the book, but because the kids want the book.

If you think someone is a bad author just because they don't seem to be writing a book that you think isn't at an appropriate age level for certain readers, then there would be no such thing as a good author: Most books are inappropriate for children for many reasons, the least of which being things like drugs, sex, and violence, while the rest of the books out there would be inappropriate for older audiences, because, obviously, they're for children that are just learning how to read.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

LynMars
23rd of July, 2007, 13:08
If the books sucked so badly on a technical level as well as in plot and characterization, there's no way they'd have become this popular. There's a level each aspect has to be to get published, let alone get attention. While my opinion of the general populace's intelligence is low at best, for a series to gain such acclaim and popularity (there's an entire course dedicated to it in my university's English curriculum), the author has to be doing something correctly, though maybe not to the tastes of everyone in the world. And I really doubt the negative press it received from fundamentalists is wholly responsible either; not everyone rebels for rebellion's sake, though it likely helped some. But people wouldn't keep reading just for that.

I've been reading adolescent sf/fantasy fic all summer, and will be reading more adolescent fic this fall for classes. There a lot of writers with popular "children's" books that are obviously simplistic or technically non-proficient out there (Pullman, for instance, has spots where he's quite obviously having a rough time, and some things in Ender's Game struck me as technically simple and repetitive). Being technically simplistic makes them easy and quick to read if nothing else--which when dealing with a younger audience, isn't a bad thing. Trying a little too hard to be "sophisticated" will lose readers, especially young ones. For instance, I honestly hated trying to read Tolkien when I was younger (still do actually, but it's not as tedious seeming...). It's terribly apparent he didn't start as a fiction writer, but a professor; there are a lot of logical and technical flaws to The Hobbit (especially, given when it was written, and how he always wanted to revise it and did revise the Gollum chapter later, which is very obvious compared to the rest of the novel) and The Lord of the Rings, but you'd be hard pressed to be able to tell a fan about them and not get screamed at.

While the technical aspects of writing are extremely important, in the end, they aren't the only thing that's going to matter. Just about every author gets technically better the longer they write; it's a learned skill that like anything else improves over time. Rowling has improved, I think, since the earlier novels (even if aspects of this last novel ended up predictable; she painted a few things into a literary corner and couldn't really do anything else satisfactorily with them). The plot and the characters are drawn well enough to keep people interested in the meantime. She's not the only author, either, that keeps secondary characters secondary, and while she gives them traits and quirks and "screen time," the central characters keep the spotlight.

People find flaws where they want to find them, while others can't see anything bad in something they love. But honestly, there aren't many, if any, books out there that meet all the criteria for a "perfect book/series." Every author is gonna make mistakes that are going to annoy some people somewhere. At least she stuck to the point of finishing the story rather than letting it drag on forever just to make money like, say, Goodkind who started out well and now just keeps writing Sword of Truth novels for no apparent reason or plan.

zachol
23rd of July, 2007, 13:50
Hmm.

I enjoy reading those books, and would be hard-pressed to write something of similar quality or length.
Thus, I do not feel the need to criticize them.

On the other hand, those two sentences (slightly modified) could be applied to many, many, many books.

*shrug*

nightinverse
23rd of July, 2007, 15:19
What a trainwreck, lads.

The best post here would have to be that of our dear z; from start to finish. Not to say Lyn didn't have some good points.

She has sold several generations on a book series, a universe, and the characters therein. That is an accomplishment, the technical details aren't in a position to interfere with that. On a side note, J.R.R may well have killed himself (Via ulcer) with his obsession with perfection in his own works - not quite far to compare him with J.K.

LynMars
23rd of July, 2007, 15:38
Maybe not fair, no, but it does go to show that trying to "perfect" something that people already love as-is (seriously trying to rewrite a 20yr old novel is a little extreme by most standards) isn't worth obsessing over to that degree. ;) Also just brings up another popular fantasy series mainly, off the top of my head, where I, for example, don't think the writer's God's gift to the genre, but know a lot of folks who would disagree. Like it or not, Rowling's got her own rabid fanbase at this point, who're just as bad as Tolkien's.

BigRedRod
23rd of July, 2007, 19:02
I think we can all agree that quality of writing isn't essential in a popular book and it is often clever marketing that creates a best-seller. We have Dan Brown claiming to have done actual research, Eragon being written by a twelve year old (and the fact that his Dad owned the publishing company was hidden for sufficiently long to net film rights) and the first Harry Potter book being recognised as a mother's attempt to make a living and look after her kids.

Clever marketing that propelled these three authors to the top spot. Luckily J.K. Rowling got off her arse and started to sort out her work out as you can't really rely on the same trick twice.

Sure the art for her books are usually shit at best, but unless your buying a picture book, are you really buying a book for art?

No, but the final novel had cover art so bad that I simply would not want it on my bookshelf. It really is that bad.
http://www.cctv.com/program/cultureexpress/20070329/images/103647_d2.jpg
I know that the books are sufficiently popular that the covers can be this bad without any effect upon sales (then again the pages could have been blank and it wouldn't have changed anything). You can quite rightly claim that the cover has no impact on the content but dear God there are limits. How did the artist ever get a job? I am genuinely curious as this is some of the worst art I've ever seen and I once accidentally went to Deviant Art.

The publisher could have run a competition at British primary schools asking them to design the cover art and I'm sure that one of them could have created something that doesn't offend the eye as badly as this.

I enjoy reading those books, and would be hard-pressed to write something of similar quality or length.
Thus, I do not feel the need to criticize them.
That is a horribly lazy attitude and I don't know where this idea comes from that those who haven't made their own X can't criticise X in general. A book is a consumer product, sold to the general public, not other authors, and it is up to each individual to decide whether they like something and then to argue with people on the internet about it. Whether they've written a book on their own has no bearing at all on this unless you want to argue on a more technical level, which nobody is here.

Gralhruk
23rd of July, 2007, 23:17
it is up to each individual to decide whether they like something and then to argue with people on the internet about it.
That really needs to make it into somebody's signature.

zachol
23rd of July, 2007, 23:23
Lazy? I suppose it's lazy, and I am indeed a lazy person.

However, I think it's somewhat accurate, and that general form (that is, "I sort of like this thing and couldn't easily create something of similar value, thus I will not deride it") applies to a lot of things.
I do not mean that no-one should be able to criticize something.

I do mean that I, personally, don't feel comfortable saying something is bad when I myself feel it would be particularly difficult for me to make.

nightinverse
24th of July, 2007, 02:26
Just ensure that you argue on a level playing field. No fun doing it on your own turf, nor is there anything to entering the dragon's cave and letting yourself be broiled in your armour.

BrianL03
24th of July, 2007, 03:06
That really needs to make it into somebody's signature.

Did and done.

The Alcotroll
24th of July, 2007, 03:36
Just ensure that you argue on a level playing field. No fun doing it on your own turf, nor is there anything to entering the dragon's cave and letting yourself be broiled in your armour.

If mixed metaphors were cocktails, that'd be one of those weird ones that you only make when you're pissed.

nightinverse
24th of July, 2007, 03:50
I am a little ragged. I've been writing, you see.

omni-roach
24th of July, 2007, 10:46
No, but the final novel had cover art so bad that I simply would not want it on my bookshelf. It really is that bad.
[img]http://www.cctv.com/program/cultureexpress/20070329/images/103647_d2.jpg[/imgl]
I know that the books are sufficiently popular that the covers can be this bad without any effect upon sales (then again the pages could have been blank and it wouldn't have changed anything). You can quite rightly claim that the cover has no impact on the content but dear God there are limits. How did the artist ever get a job? I am genuinely curious as this is some of the worst art I've ever seen and I once accidentally went to Deviant Art.

Ugh. I didn't realize just how bad the cover art looked. I wouldn't have bought that, even if the rest of the country is.

Of course good cover art helps, there are a few books that I've wanted to buy just by looking at the cover and saying "Oooh, pretty picture!" (these are also the books that I buy but usually don't end up reading...) and there are some books whose cover art looks so hideous, I wouldn't allow it anywhere near my bookshelf, but bad cover art does not immediately bury a book nor does good cover art immediately cause sales to sky-rocket.

EDIT: In other news, I don't feel like reading the book anymore, as some jerk in another chatroom, on another website just ruined the whole thing for me.

Linklegacy77
24th of July, 2007, 11:35
The book sold because it was creative, and children can't tell the difference between good and bad writing. It sells fantastically now because adults read the first ones when they were younger, and remember enjoying them. Plus, adults purchase the books for their children.

zachol
24th of July, 2007, 11:36
Edit: Semi-ninja'd by Link. The "ah man" is a response to omni's plight.

Ah man.

It's entirely possible that someone with experience of my tastes could read the following sentence and extrapolate a spoiler from it.

Knowledge of the book's ending didn't make it any worse for me, so eh.

BigRedRod
25th of July, 2007, 07:52
zachol if you think something might be a spoiler then don't risk it, as I will have to ban you and I don't want that given I play in one of your games and you play in one of mine.

You know what sucks? E3 happened and nobody noticed. We were told that everything was being scaled down this year but they may as well have just scrapped the whole thing given the pathetic announcements that didn't even bear me making a thread about it like I did last year (http://online-roleplaying.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6097).

It's a year on though, and I'm not sure anybody could have quite predicted how badly the PS3 tanked and how well the Wii is doing. Looking at their marketing campaigns shows a comedy of errors versus a series of masterstrokes. Should the PS3 survive the winter without Sony killing it somehow, then I'm sure it'll manage to secure a position but it just hurts me in a very deep and personal way that my console choices may be restricted to the Wii and 360 in the not too distant future.

I don't know why I don't like the 360, the achievement system is a great idea and Gears of War is as fun a co-op game as you could get. It could just be that everything is a bit fuzzy on my tv (largely as HD hasn't really taken off over here so choices are limited and over priced in that regard). At least the games line up is gradually getting there (although I'm not sure I could name a title I really want - Blue Dragon stirs confused feelings due to the horrible art style and worry that it might be rather weak in the plot department).

The Wii remains a red headed step child. Although the arrival of the first decent game meant that I let him inside on one of the colder nights for worry he could freeze while locked in the shed. Still, Mario Football is only fun when played in a large group with much swapping of turns and abuse both physical and verbal being tossed about. Aside from that it remains shitty port with tacked on remote waving after microgame collection all aurrounding the ray of hope that is Smash Brothers Brawl. Which is the real problem, Smash Brothers and Mario Football are the two games which tickle my fancy and both almost entirely ignore all of the intriguing Wii functionality. This is a shame. Generally, I may just have to accept that it is not a console aimed at me, it's for the casual gamer to dump in the lounge of a shared house so people can fill a couple of minutes when they are waiting.

Maybe this should have gone in my Livejournal. Hmmmm. Maybe I should dye my hair black, starting wearing small t-shirts and hanging out in Piccadilly Garden.

Suffice to say: The future of console gaming looks very bleak to me and this makes me a sad panda.

On the other hand, Pc gamers just got a new Civ4 expansion and one day we'll get to play Bioshock and Fallout 3.

zachol
25th of July, 2007, 08:06
I think you'd have to know my opinions about the book rather well to get a spoiler from that, so I decided it was safe.

I have a PS2, and I highly doubt I'm ever going to buy any other console.
I'm just not a gamer, and at the moment I'm amusing myself just fine with Tetris, so I don't see a need.

LuneMoonshadow
25th of July, 2007, 13:04
If I'd buy any of the new consoles it'd be the 360. PS3 has had horrible marketing paired with a lack of decent titles. So many PS3 exclusive titles are miraculously ending up with a 360 label. Perhaps it is because the developers know that if it is PS3 exclusive their sales might tank.

The Wii is... well, it's strange. It is innovative in a strange, quirky regard but it has nothing to back it up. It seems, right now, to be a simple gimmick. I want to play SSBB, the new Metriod, the new Mario, and Mario Kart, but I'm not willing to shell out the money to play those games since they'd likely end up being the only games I play on the Wii. It is beginning to look like my sad little gamecube - a poor waste of money.

360's titles seem much more expansive and whenever I see a trailer for a game that looks interesting and I say to myself "Wow. I'd like to play that." it ends up being on the 360.

I believe I'm a PC gamer at heart anyway, so perhaps it doesn't matter. BF2142 will wipe the tears from my eyes.

BrianL03
25th of July, 2007, 16:22
On the other hand, Pc gamers just got a new Civ4 expansion and one day we'll get to play Bioshock and Fallout 3.

And someday Brian will actually have the money to afford a machine that will be able to adequately run either.

The Alcotroll
25th of July, 2007, 22:32
Maybe I should dye my hair black, starting wearing small t-shirts and hanging out in Piccadilly Garden.

Do it.

DO IT!

nightinverse
26th of July, 2007, 02:30
Console gaming died the moment Sony entered the market - possibly when they were beginning to consider it. This generation disappoints me in traditional gaming more than the last did. At least I had the Gamecube last generation - this time around, I have naught. For community gaming, I do like the Wii, but the fact is that it makes gaming too much of a sport/physical activity for most long-term or serious gamers to enjoy it.

However, I have a PC and the best open source RTS - so I'm satisfied.

omni-roach
26th of July, 2007, 03:45
I'm honestly starting to regret my Wii, especially since I don't have the money to go out and get a game on my own and the parents seem to think that the whole family will like games like 'Mario Party' and 'Rayman Raving Rabids.' Fun games, yeah, but since I don't seem to be throwing many parties, they don't seem to warrant keeping for too long.

I want to get a 360, but with the constant occurrence of the "Red Ring of Death" it doesn't seem like a good idea right now; however, with that recently extended warranty they just decided to give out...

There is no way in hell that I am getting a PS3; they're just too damn expensive for me to even consider getting one, not too mention the fact that most games on it, I can get on the 360 for much cheaper.

Computer gaming seems to be my only way of getting my gaming fix, but I don't have the money to get any new games for my machine, let alone upgrade to get better equipment for it.

*sigh* I'm just one poor bastard...

nightinverse
26th of July, 2007, 03:49
Omni, what sort of games do you like? I can try to reel off some legal open-source ones which you may be able to run if I know what you want. I too have financial issues.

omni-roach
26th of July, 2007, 03:53
Thanks for the help NI! I'll PM you with a list sometime later as I'm kinda busy right now.

Linklegacy77
26th of July, 2007, 05:41
Oh, I thoroughly enjoy my Wii. I greatly loved Twilight Princess, and I don't see why it keeps getting ignored from the list of good games.

And Mario Party 8 is just plain a fun group game.

I also enjoy the new Paper Mario game. Red Steel did suck though.

omni-roach
26th of July, 2007, 07:27
I haven't been able to get hold of a copy of Twilight Princess or Paper Mario, or else I would be playing the hell out of them.

While I do not disagree that Mario Party is a great group game, my problem is that I don't have a group to play with, as the group I usually hang out with hate the Wii.

Red Steel seems to have disapointed everyone that I know who's played it.

LuneMoonshadow
26th of July, 2007, 11:04
Twilight Princess looks good on my Gamecube as well, as I don't have to look like a fool playing it. =P

nightinverse
26th of July, 2007, 11:44
By the by, the American cover is worse.

Gnarsh
28th of July, 2007, 01:18
Sweet Jesus, there's going to be ReBoot movies. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i9a352772046b5f139781428f87532dad)

My Fellow Gamers
28th of July, 2007, 02:24
I remember that series, it was loads of fun!

omni-roach
28th of July, 2007, 03:03
I remember that series too. I think I was in kindergarten. So I don't remember much if at all.

BigRedRod
28th of July, 2007, 04:08
I remember it, didn't it really suck?

nightinverse
28th of July, 2007, 05:44
Few things on television don't. I recall it as cute, original, sort of fun to watch when ill.

SinbadEV
28th of July, 2007, 06:11
I liked it quite a bit but felt that good story telling was often hindered by lame jokes, bad computer puns and an inconsistent reality metaphor/explaination (these "events" were going on inside a computer... same faults as TRON really).

Later on, when they had moved into more meaningful story telling the old dumb slapstick didn't fit in as well. I feel that this idea of re-imagining the whole thing and starting the story from scratch would be a good thing because they will know the pitfalls they need to avoid.

BigRedRod
31st of July, 2007, 20:37
Everybody loves secret tunnels (http://search.japantimes.co.jp/member/member.html?fl20030301a1.htm&1=0)

I really need to investigate the slave tunnels under Bristol, there's a rumour that they are always opened up on a graduation day. I found out about that rumour a little late, but I may to investigate the uni by-laws to see if there is any truth in it.

omni-roach
1st of August, 2007, 03:36
I too, am suddenly wanting to find some tunnels around where I live.

nightinverse
1st of August, 2007, 03:38
I live on the west coast of the United States, we barely have basements anywhere, let alone catacombs. That said, I think Stanford has some library catacombs, but I'll never get clearance.

zachol
1st of August, 2007, 04:20
I doubt many places in the midwest have secret tunnels.

Maybe some underground railroad secret basements, but no big tunnels.

SinbadEV
1st of August, 2007, 04:41
Carleton University (I live near it) has tunnels that connect all of it's building such that you never have to go outside, there's even a pub down there. The High School I attended (Merivale) had a tunnel system connecting the 2 basements, a vaulted catacomb to house a 2 story funace system, special extra rooms filled with sand under each science room in case of accidents and a tunnel leading from the principals office to an escape route... and also minor tunnels to allow access to the field sprinkler plumbing.

In fact the house I live in has a tunnel connecting it to the neibouring church... Ottawa loves tunnels.

Gnarsh
1st of August, 2007, 04:53
There's some tunnels that go through a lot of Ashtabula's downtown. Most of them are closed off these days, but some friends used to use this one that connected the high school to a church across the street to skip out of class sometimes. Unfortunately, it's been found and locked up.

omni-roach
1st of August, 2007, 08:12
My Dad told me that he used to use a tunnel to get to school in the mornings. I don't know if it's still open or not. I should probably look into that...

BigRedRod
1st of August, 2007, 23:24
Teacher reads the end of Harry Potter to the school on the last day of term (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007350292,00.html)

Bloody hell, that is an evil teacher.

zachol
2nd of August, 2007, 00:40
That was mean.

nightinverse
2nd of August, 2007, 02:17
Hilarious.

The Alcotroll
2nd of August, 2007, 03:06
Evil lessons are an important part of every teacher's training.

omni-roach
2nd of August, 2007, 03:34
I actually had a principal that probably would have done that EXACT SAME THING. She was evil to the core.

BigRedRod
2nd of August, 2007, 03:48
Evil lessons are an important part of every teacher's training.
It reminds me of primary school, where in an assembly a teacher stated there was no Father Christmas. Needless to say there were tears a plenty.

LynMars
2nd of August, 2007, 06:32
Several people think I'm already evil, so I don't know what all else my education classes can teach me on that count.

Gnarsh
2nd of August, 2007, 12:30
It says it was a short passage, I doubt she really could have given all that much away.

I think the problem here is that children are pussies.

Benicus
2nd of August, 2007, 12:46

Gnarsh is my hero.

BigRedRod
2nd of August, 2007, 19:12
It says it was a short passage, I doubt she really could have given all that much away.

I think the problem is a teacher spoilt the end of a book. A book that a good amount of the students would be interested in reading. The length of the passage is pretty much irrelevant, anything in the later pages is highly likely to imply a good number of spoilers at the very least.

SinbadEV
3rd of August, 2007, 02:45
I'm thinking I know what they would have read based on the description, and it would spoil only what most of us already expected... I would have read it anyways.

nightinverse
3rd of August, 2007, 03:09
Children need to learn that it is a harsh world, particularly if they'll never have the money to make the difficulties of reality disappear from sight.

SinbadEV
3rd of August, 2007, 03:22
Children need to learn that it is a harsh world, particularly if they'll never have the money to make the difficulties of reality disappear from sight.

Yes, but it is even MORE important for them to learn to read escapist literature which is a lot cheaper and almost as effective.

BigRedRod
3rd of August, 2007, 03:42
That' is one of the key points about Harry Potter. Love it or hate it, it is getting kids to read and nobody can say that kids reading is a bad thing. Unless they happen to be attempting a Christian fundamentalist revolution, I suppose.

omni-roach
3rd of August, 2007, 04:15
Unless they happen to be attempting a Christian fundamentalist revolution, I suppose.

I'm suddenly reminded of that one Simpsons episode where Ned Flanders is reading "Harry Potter" to one of his kids. I went something like this from what I remember; "And Harry Potter and all of his wizard friends went straight to hell for practicing witchcraft!" and as the kid is screaming hooray, he chucked the book into his fireplace.

Benicus
3rd of August, 2007, 04:18
Lol, stupid fundamentalists. Maybe if we can get so narrow minded and continue on that straight and narrow path our brains can get so tiny that when the time comes they can fit inside the key-hole and we can get into heaven!

BigRedRod
3rd of August, 2007, 04:27
You two failed your Knowledge[Modern Literature] checks. Go to your rooms, no dessert for you.

Edit: Actually for spotting a tangential Simpsons reference Omni can have dessert, he just has to eat it in his room and not at the table with the rest of us.

Benicus
3rd of August, 2007, 04:55
Shucks pa, an' I want'd ma desert tonight *grumble*.

EDIT: And on another subject, who's this FakeRedRod character that's popping up?

Blinky
3rd of August, 2007, 04:59
Popping up where?

nightinverse
3rd of August, 2007, 05:26
There is enough desert for all.

BrianL03
3rd of August, 2007, 13:15
Mwahahaha. Facebook (finally) allows you to find friends who list their AIM names (took it long enough).

(danger Will Robinson, danger)

omni-roach
3rd of August, 2007, 13:53
You two failed your Knowledge[Modern Literature] checks. Go to your rooms, no dessert for you.

Damn it! I knew I should have asked God to reroll my stats when I saw that poor intelligence score...

Edit: Actually for spotting a tangential Simpsons reference Omni can have dessert, he just has to eat it in his room and not at the table with the rest of us.

Aw... I liked that table... :cry:

I guess the desert is still good though!:nod:

Popping up where?

Who are you? Are you like some sort of BRR from an alternate universe? Or is BRR your evil twin and he just decided to show up first? Or are you BRR's sibling come to screw with us? Or are you BRR come to screw with us in some new way? Or are you someone that can't come up with your own designs and decided to copy BRR? Or are you... *GASP* Just a sec, I need to catch my breath... *faints*

zachol
3rd of August, 2007, 14:21
He's a sorely underused sockpuppet, that's what he is.

CottoN
3rd of August, 2007, 23:28
FakeRedRod is my friend!

The Alcotroll
4th of August, 2007, 00:18

And we all know what BRR does with his sock puppets, so FRR can count himself lucky...

omni-roach
4th of August, 2007, 05:57

BRR has sock puppets?

That can say alot about a man...

zachol
4th of August, 2007, 11:05
FakeRedRod is my friend!

Agh! More sockpuppets!

The Alcotroll
6th of August, 2007, 19:41
Hey Timbo, I saw this and thought of you...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i308/bodak1984/877109474466365de20b68.gif

BigRedRod
6th of August, 2007, 19:43
He should high five (or possibly slap) the mod afterwards.

nightinverse
7th of August, 2007, 02:56
You don't even have official moderators - just those who have moderation status in their own games/subfora. Slapping, however, is the way to go.

omni-roach
7th of August, 2007, 03:05
That is totally BRR. Seriously, have you read his sig lately? They don't get much weaker than an old lady! :P

BigRedRod
7th of August, 2007, 03:13
The sig is in reference to my DMing style, I don't think I've even ever banned a real person since becoming Admin'd, just had to deal with some spambots and post whoring. I'm positively a pussycat. Although I do like the idea of kicking people in the face to get results faster, so I'll give it a whirl.

nightinverse
7th of August, 2007, 03:18
I just had my nose mended...

omni-roach
7th of August, 2007, 03:48
The sig is in reference to my DMing style, I don't think I've even ever banned a real person since becoming Admin'd.

Oh. I thought it was meant to intimidate all of us, whether it was in game or not. I should have guessed that you were a pussycat when I found out that you play with sock puppets...

Although I do like the idea of kicking people in the face to get results faster, so I'll give it a whirl.

Oh no! What monster have I created!

The Alcotroll
7th of August, 2007, 04:25
The sig is in reference to my DMing style,

Actually, I was referring to those kinky sex sessions, where you dress in leathers and make people call you 'master'...

zachol
7th of August, 2007, 05:58
What are you talking about? BRR bans people all the time!

Benicus
7th of August, 2007, 09:23
That's awesome Alcotroll.

Oh and I just got my copy of the last Harry Potter (haven't read it yet so I'm not in the spoiler thread) and my cover is way better than the one BRR had.

Lemme see if I can get a pic up.

nightinverse
7th of August, 2007, 09:51
The U.S. cover is terrible, laddie.

The Alcotroll
7th of August, 2007, 11:09
The US cover is terrible, but I am awesome, and 50% is enough for a pass.

Benicus
7th of August, 2007, 12:02
and 50% is enough for a pass.

Especially in America.

http://harshitpandey.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/harry-potter-cover.jpg

My cover, better than the other one.

SinbadEV
7th of August, 2007, 12:59
Canada got the British cover, though I really like the adult covers more then either of the kids ones, they are "classy" if that can be said of children's novels given special covers so adults don't feel bad reading them in public

BigRedRod
7th of August, 2007, 18:57
It's better, as in it isn't offensively ugly, just ugly. Still, the adult covers are much nicer. If I ever wrote a book I'd be damn sure to get a decent cover. Possibly a heavily misleading cover.

omni-roach
8th of August, 2007, 03:26
Can you post a picture of the "adult" cover? The only cover that I see around here is the one that Ben posted.

SinbadEV
8th of August, 2007, 06:38
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39766000/jpg/_39766405_philosopher_300.jpghttp://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39764000/jpg/_39764175_chamber_300.jpghttp://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39764000/jpg/_39764187_prisoner_300.jpghttp://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39764000/jpg/_39764181_goblet_300.jpghttp://www.veritaserum.com/books/book6/img/hbpcover-britadult.jpghttp://www.hp-lexicon.org/images/covers/7-dh-covers/dhukadult-front-200px.jpg

zachol
8th of August, 2007, 07:01
Huh. Those look spiffy.

SinbadEV
8th of August, 2007, 07:03
I really REALLY like the halfblood prince one, which is good because it's the only adult cover copy I own

BigRedRod
8th of August, 2007, 07:21
Previously there have been only a few copies of the adult covers and they tended to tucked away somewhere. With this one though everywhere has both copies side by side.

I'm not sure how many other books have two covers to try and corner both the child and adult markets. I know His Dark Materials did although from what I remember the adult covers actually cost more and the child covers looked perfectly fine.

nightinverse
9th of August, 2007, 06:18
Personally, I wouldn't write for the children's market anyway. I too have the fifth book with the adult British cover...

The Alcotroll
10th of August, 2007, 01:18
This was just too good to pass up:

Snorky: Putting the guff back in guffaw says:
my post is large

Heh, heh, heh...

BigRedRod
10th of August, 2007, 01:19
It is pretty big.

The Alcotroll
10th of August, 2007, 02:06
Sometimes we attach a clothesline to it.

Edit: Fucking hell you're right as well! I don't think I've ever seen a post as large as that!

itches
15th of August, 2007, 00:54
I haven't read the last Harry Potter book yet, but you can tell me. Is this (http://www.homeonthestrange.com/view.php?ID=169) really how it ends?

omni-roach
15th of August, 2007, 01:54
That's actually kinda funny.

I know for a fact that it doesn't end like that, for although I do not care to read it, others in the family have.

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

zachol
15th of August, 2007, 08:40
Omni! The proper response to that sort of post is "Yes, yes that is how it ends" or something similar, no matter how stale or predictable that response would be!

I mean, jeez! Come on!

Hey, that comic looks rather good... should read it.

LynMars
15th of August, 2007, 11:45
I think Home on the Strange is one I recommended in the comics thread a bit ago. I rather like it. 30-something year old gamers and their friends and all the weird life stuff in between. Fun times.

Benicus
17th of August, 2007, 10:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBXOhZhz1o

Hehehhe, Elmo in Baghdad.

BigRedRod
18th of August, 2007, 00:33
http://www.diehardthepuppetmusical.com/

I hope this is as good as I'd like it to be.

itches
18th of August, 2007, 00:47
Minesweeper : The Movie (http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1770138)

The Alcotroll
18th of August, 2007, 01:02
That's a whole shedload of awesome.

"Why are you even here, soldier?"
"Because I'm bored!"
"And don't you forget it!"

-J-
18th of August, 2007, 05:13
For all of those of us who wasted hours in the arcade trying to master the Hadouken...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1711287

omni-roach
18th of August, 2007, 05:38
That's awesome, J. I've got to watch the rest of it now.

"It's been so long since I've seen you! You... Well, you look like shit."

Benicus
19th of August, 2007, 06:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMMYTdoJYc8&NR=1

Compilation of hilarity from Futurama.

BigRedRod
20th of August, 2007, 02:07
So they aren't quite pixelated (http://www.duels.com) but it might be the closest we get for a while.

Gnarsh
20th of August, 2007, 03:48
It saddens me that human and elf are the only race options.

BigRedRod
20th of August, 2007, 03:51
Like you could name a third race.

These crappy browser based games are always in development, so tomorrow there could be a million variants.

generaljimX
20th of August, 2007, 05:10
Its taking a freaking long time to go on....Stupid having to check if anyone else has the same character name....

I hope its fun...

LuneMoonshadow
20th of August, 2007, 05:41
I glanced at it and it seems both too simple and too imbalanced at this point to be worth playing (in my opinion, of course).

BigRedRod
20th of August, 2007, 05:45
You sum it up perfectly, Lune.

I only posted it to make the pixelated character joke.

BigRedRod
20th of August, 2007, 06:57
UltramanJimBill: you up for some pokeman action?
UltramanJimBill: I want to evolve a machoke
MrLewisham: i'm at work dude
UltramanJimBill: ha
UltramanJimBill: I'll take that as a no then

Damn people in their fancy other timezones, not being there for me when I need to trade pokemon. How will I catch them all at this rate?

LuneMoonshadow
20th of August, 2007, 07:00
I've actually picked up this game recently after a very long car trip. My Bulbasaur totally evolved into Ivysaur. I need to con my friend into letting me borrow his gameboy so I can trade over a Charmander and Squirtle. Could I just do it with a Gameshark? Yes.

I'm an honest pokemon trainer, though.

BrianL03
20th of August, 2007, 08:58
UltramanJimBill: you up for some pokeman action?
UltramanJimBill: I want to evolve a machoke
MrLewisham: i'm at work dude
UltramanJimBill: ha
UltramanJimBill: I'll take that as a no then

Damn people in their fancy other timezones, not being there for me when I need to trade pokemon. How will I catch them all at this rate?

I've actually picked up this game recently after a very long car trip. My Bulbasaur totally evolved into Ivysaur. I need to con my friend into letting me borrow his gameboy so I can trade over a Charmander and Squirtle. Could I just do it with a Gameshark? Yes.

I'm an honest pokemon trainer, though.

I need to get a Gameboy again so I can play these games. Unfortunately, my Silver game cartridge got corrupted years ago, so I lost all 250 'mon that I had caught (I even won a bloody surfing Pikachu from Nintendo!).

Darn technological preventions. You guys playing the old games or the new ones?

LuneMoonshadow
20th of August, 2007, 09:00
Blue/Red for me.

I'm too old to learn new pokemon names and their damned evolutions again.

zachol
20th of August, 2007, 09:26
Let's see... Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, LeafGreen.
I haven't finished with Sapphire, but all the other ones were basically completed (except for maybe Gold).
Personally, I was content with G/S. Might restart Gold if I feel like playing something in the future.

BrianL03
20th of August, 2007, 09:32
Let's see... Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, LeafGreen.
I haven't finished with Sapphire, but all the other ones were basically completed (except for maybe Gold).
Personally, I was content with G/S. Might restart Gold if I feel like playing something in the future.

I too found Silver/Gold to be the best of the series so far. Not too complicated to make it impossible to pick up, but improved on a lot of the basic R/B/Y problems to make it a lot more fun and easy to play, and with plenty of room to explore, too.

LuneMoonshadow
20th of August, 2007, 09:41
In all honesty I found the pokemon games to be very enjoyable. I will even claim to be one of the first to find Missingno (technically my friend found it but I was sitting right there. Plus I was the one to catch it. Woo Venomoth!)

Is Silver/Gold worth purchasing if I'm looking for some good ol' fashioned pokemon fun? What's so different about it?

omni-roach
20th of August, 2007, 10:16
New pokemon, and therefore, new strategies, as well as a new map, new gym leaders and a new Elite Four mainly. I didn't really play it, personally.

I love Ruby though. I've never really played any of the games to the point where any of my pokemon got to level 100, mainly because farming enemies gets too redundant for me and all the strongest wild pokemon are all water types, which means lightning types destroys them, while most fire types get ganged up on.

I probably would have gotten Pearl (Pink Mecha-Godzillas FTW!) if my DS didn't break. I'm trying to get a new one, as well as Pearl, but I just don't have the money right now. :(

BrianL03
20th of August, 2007, 10:56
In all honesty I found the pokemon games to be very enjoyable. I will even claim to be one of the first to find Missingno (technically my friend found it but I was sitting right there. Plus I was the one to catch it. Woo Venomoth!)

Is Silver/Gold worth purchasing if I'm looking for some good ol' fashioned pokemon fun? What's so different about it?

What I liked a lot about it was that you had a lot of expansion and some realism to the Pokemon universe. So, depending on what time or day you were playing, you might only be able to find or evolve certain Pokemon (the Umbreon and Espeon Eeveelutions were examples of this), plus the ability to add special items to boost your Pokemon's abilities or give them an automatic health burst when they were getting low.

Psychics are also no longer the complete invincibility they were in prior games. With the introduction of Steel and Dark types (and more mulit-types), along with some actually effective moves for all the different types, it's a lot more customizable in terms of the groups you can have.

In addition, during battle, you have a running XP percentage meter showing how close your 'mon is to its next level, which is pretty handy.

You also now can set the bike toggle to the select button, which means no more annoying hunting through the entire menu to find your faster movement tool :)

omni-roach
20th of August, 2007, 11:20
Something else that may (or may not be) noteworthy about Silver/Gold is that they added different sections into your backpack, meaning that key items (the bike, any keys, the fishing rods, etc.) normal items, pokeballs, and other stuff are all grouped together. Making things very helpful when you don't have your bike set to the select button, as the amount of crap you have to look through is much less.

Benicus
20th of August, 2007, 11:23
Emerald's fun, haven't played in a long while though.

Gnarsh
20th of August, 2007, 11:27
I was only really interested through Gold and Silver, and even then, a lot of the new Pokemon just throw me off. Fire Red and Leaf Green, though, are godsends. The original games, with all kinds of GBA-tastic updates.

Skidrow
20th of August, 2007, 11:56
Started with Yellow, but never caught 'em all. Went to silver, an had all of 'em except for five or so. But then Ruby came. I owned the Ruby, legitly. As in no mods, or game sharks, or anything like that. I was smart: I would swap data with someone who had a party full of pokemon I didn't, get their location in my pokedex, and then hunt them down. That's how I caught Latio (how I love thee). Then I tried Leaf Green and thought I got ripped off because it was the same as Yellow, for the most part. Haven't played any after that.

zachol
20th of August, 2007, 11:58
It's not that G/S are so much different, but that they're... "bigger."
There's a similar amount of story, plus the old continent, so it just adds playtime while introducing a few new things (new pokemon, a few new types of items and moves), without being overly confusing or different in a bad way.

If you enjoy Red/Blue but are getting sort of tired of things that you've done too many times, and wish for other things to do while still having a similar feel, I'd say it's worth it.

Plus the colors are kind of nice.

Edit: And I somehow only responded to posts from an hour and a half ago?
Strange.

Fire Red and Leaf Green, though, are godsends. The original games, with all kinds of GBA-tastic updates.
Agreement. Very fun to see what I remember from... 8 years ago? 9 years?
Heh.

Linklegacy77
20th of August, 2007, 12:01
I played red, legitly, until I found a "missingno".

Well, this was before I knew what was going on, as I was much younger and hadn't heard about any glitches. I foolishly caught this lvl. 80 pokemon, and my game got corrupted.

Skidrow
20th of August, 2007, 12:01
Poor guy. I never fucked around with it. I was too scared.

zachol
20th of August, 2007, 12:04
Hmm... randomly found a missingno?
That would require a lot of semi-chaotic exploration.

Gnarsh
20th of August, 2007, 12:07
Or just training on the coast of Cinnibar Island.

Skidrow
20th of August, 2007, 12:11
Yup. I never dared to train on Cinnabar. My friend's game got dorked up bad.

Linklegacy77
20th of August, 2007, 12:15
Actually, as I recall, I was leaving the caves where you find Articuno, and just as I used surf I found it.

Skidrow
20th of August, 2007, 12:18
Isn't that near Cinnibar? If I remember correctly, it should just be a hop and a skip away.

Edit: It is rather close....http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/12045/images/pokem_183.jpg

omni-roach
20th of August, 2007, 13:22
I thought you said that you hated Pokemon with a passion, Skidrow?

I never actually owned the original Pokemon games, however I did recently get them on my emulator and haven't gotten around to playing them, as such, I have no idea what the heck a "missingno" is. Isn't it some sort of glitch Pokemon?

I own Ruby both legitimately, and also on the emulator, and I have to say that the Gameshark adds a whole new demension to the game. I rather like being able to start with all three of the starting Pokemon without having to bug friends to restart their games to give them to me, for example.

Gnarsh
20th of August, 2007, 13:30
If I remember, to get Missingno, you just had to be right on any coast, so Seafoam would work fine. For some reason most people just ended up finding it on Cinnibar.

zachol
20th of August, 2007, 14:32
Missingno appears when the game thinks you should encounter a pokemon, but doesn't have a list of the possible encounters loaded.
In wild areas, a list is loaded of what the player should encounter.
However, in places like Cinnabar Island, no list is loaded. But! There is also water on the east side of Cinnabar that results in an encounter, so what happens?
The game attempts to load a pokemon's number (each pokemon has a sort of number, not necessarily their pokedex number, that the system uses to identify them). But if there's no list of numbers, the game doesn't know what to do, and loads "missingno" (missing number).

Usually, the player will have be swimming on the east side of Cinnabar after just being in another zone (either of the water routes to the east or north), and the game will simply load that list of monsters.
However, if the player flys to Cinnabar from a place where the encounter list doesn't work, this won't happen, and the player will instead encounter Missingno.

This can be taken advantage of in various ways - for example, a common trick is to go to the Safari zone, find a place where there's a rare pokemon you wish to catch but are unlikely to even encounter within the step limit (ie Chancey), wait until time is called, then fly to Cinnabar and surf on the east side.
You will encounter creatures from that zone, while in the water, because that was the last encounter list that was loaded, and there is no associated list for Cinnabar to override it. And, of course, now you will not run out of steps, and can catch it in the normal, non-Safari Zone way.

And now you know!

omni-roach
21st of August, 2007, 01:59
I heard about the Safari Zone trick, I just didn't know how or why it works, or if it was possible to exploit it in other ways. That was very informative zachol, thanks! :)

And now I know!

zachol
21st of August, 2007, 03:41
There's actually a way to encounter Mew (or any other specific pokemon whose system number you know) that takes advantage of some glitches and that same "no encounter list loaded," but it involves a lot of steps I don't have memorized.

BigRedRod
21st of August, 2007, 08:06
I got my mew like a real man, a mexican kid traded it to me in Acapulco. I strongly suspect it was sharked.

Also, the girl in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Dg3QMfWgQ&mode=related&search=) is 10 and is called "strong machine 2.0". Awesome.

Skidrow
21st of August, 2007, 10:01
That is the coolest pokemon story I've ever heard, BRR.

And for some reason, the video makes me anxious.

LuneMoonshadow
21st of August, 2007, 10:15
Also, the girl in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Dg3QMfWgQ&mode=related&search=) is 10 and is called "strong machine 2.0". Awesome.

Wtf? Do I laugh? Cry?

Yay Japan.

omni-roach
21st of August, 2007, 10:15
I bet I can top that BRR; I have a friend that traded some Japanese kid a magikarp for a Lucario.

The video on the other hand, was just weird. Cool kid though, I can't even do a fourth of the stuff that she did.

BigRedRod
23rd of August, 2007, 07:09
To steer this away from pokemon and popping for a moment.

The Alcotroll
23rd of August, 2007, 07:29
I always thought popping involved drugs, and now I'm deeply confused.

Benicus
23rd of August, 2007, 07:33
That...picture...is...awesome!!

omni-roach
23rd of August, 2007, 07:35
So wait, is it a mind-flayer riding a beholder?

Count me among the confused.

Benicus
23rd of August, 2007, 07:49
I so want a beholder mount now...

BrianL03
23rd of August, 2007, 07:51
What?

Beholder is evolving!

Beholder has evolved to...

Beholdithid!

Skidrow
23rd of August, 2007, 08:05
Brian, that made me cry. That was awesome.

zachol
23rd of August, 2007, 08:44
Wow... that may be the cuter looking beholders I've seen drawn.

I mean, look at that adorable maw, and its darling eye, and the thing's delightful little expression.

Clearly it deserves a hug.

And some cookies.

omni-roach
23rd of August, 2007, 09:40
I'm suddenly wondering about zachol. I've never looked at a beholder and said, "Oh, that's cute. I want to give it a hug!"

A nymph, maybe, but never a beholder.

zachol
23rd of August, 2007, 09:42
I'm talking about that specific beholder!

It's like a cute little puppy!

omni-roach
23rd of August, 2007, 09:48
After looking at the picture again, I'd suddenly have to agree with you...

It's teeth do look less... threatening. It almost looks like it's smiling!

zachol
23rd of August, 2007, 10:11
I know! It's smiling!

That's why it's so cute!

LynMars
23rd of August, 2007, 13:35
I am only reminded of Rifts cover art by that somehow.

This (http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow.pets/mythical/miscellaneous/willy.asp) is a cute beholder.

BrianL03
23rd of August, 2007, 15:32
Brian, that made me cry. That was awesome.

I need to keep us talking about Pokemon somehow :)

The Alcotroll
13th of September, 2007, 00:14
Wish I was Russian. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,,2167482,00.html)

BigRedRod
13th of September, 2007, 00:33
Under the city council's "Give Birth to a Patriot" scheme, those who give birth on June 12, Lenin's birthday, will get a prize.
That is outstanding. It's a good day for Russia, they've got that new stupidly large daisy cutter and they get to have sex all day long rather than work. Although I would imagine it's the worst day of the year to be single.

zachol
13th of September, 2007, 05:23
Ha ha, those goofy Russians.

omni-roach
13th of September, 2007, 06:55
I can't believe this! And the article even says that this isn't the first time that they've done this!

I can almost see the big council meeting when they decided to do this: "We will schedule a day for people to have sex and make more children to raise our population." Too bad that the kids born will be just as hungry as the kids born any other day...

zachol
13th of September, 2007, 07:25
They do this yearly. I remember reading about this last year.

The Alcotroll
13th of September, 2007, 17:09
Well we all know what they do to keep warm in Russia.

They play Chess

nightinverse
14th of September, 2007, 01:18
Austin Powers, He's The Man!

BrianL03
18th of September, 2007, 04:01
It's highly inconvenient that things shut down on an internet forum over the weekend.

What's your guy's main mode of transportation around town?

For me, I've given up my car completely, and either walk, bus, or ride my 10-speed racer around, to work, the farmer's market, even one of the grocery stores that's 2-3 miles away. Part of my way of a) keeping costs down, and b) keeping things environmentally clean through use of public resources :)

BigRedRod
18th of September, 2007, 04:18
I float in a cloud of my own self satisfaction.

nightinverse
18th of September, 2007, 04:30
I walk on foot, a classic mode, but not without costs.

zachol
18th of September, 2007, 05:25
I walk or bum rides (rare).
I suppose I would use the bus if I needed to get somewhere far away (I live in St. Paul).

I do not know how to ride a bicycle. This is a result of growing up in the middle of the woods, where there was no point in using a bike to go anywhere because anywhere you wanted to go was too far away.
Plus, all the roads near my home were the ouchy-gravelly type, so "learning for the heck of it" wasn't terribly attractive.

Gnarsh
18th of September, 2007, 05:36
I drive or walk. Driving more at home, walking more at school.

Benicus
18th of September, 2007, 06:59
Man I walk everywhere (the town I live in is a tiny mountain community and it's a mile long).

omni-roach
18th of September, 2007, 07:30
I usually walk, but then again, I don't really get out much.

I've been considering breaking out my old bike, but I'm almost afraid to find out what condition it's in. That and having to re-learn how to ride (as it's been forever since I've ridden my bike).

As soon as I get my car fixed up and I get my license I'll be getting around that way though.

BrianL03
18th of September, 2007, 09:39
I ride my bike so often it's started to become an extension of me. I've almost begun riding my bike two blocks away just in case I needed to go somewhere else afterwards XD

The Alcotroll
18th of September, 2007, 16:49
I used to be able to get from uni to my house in five minutes (with a following wind) and that was from one side of manchester to the other.

Now though, my chain and gears are both buggered and I reckon it's probably a better bet to get a new bike.

itches
19th of September, 2007, 00:45
Umbrella tale (http://cmpriest.livejournal.com/882143.html)

BrianL03
19th of September, 2007, 01:58
I used to be able to get from uni to my house in five minutes (with a following wind) and that was from one side of manchester to the other.

Now though, my chain and gears are both buggered and I reckon it's probably a better bet to get a new bike.

Hey, if a chain's started to rust, should I continue to oil it to extend its longevity, or just give up and get a new one and do more preventive maintenance?

The Alcotroll
19th of September, 2007, 02:59
By all means keep oiling it- you don't need to worry about the chain unless it skips on the cogs when you pedal.

In fact, if you don't keep oiling, it's liable to damage the gears themselves, at which point (apparently) you're better off buying a new bike than replacing the damn things, which is why my bike hasn't left the garage in over a year.

BigRedRod
19th of September, 2007, 03:03
Bikes are a tool of the devil.

The Alcotroll
19th of September, 2007, 03:53
Bikes are a tool of the devil.

There speaks a man whose beer gut now prevents him from tying his shoelaces (which I presume is the reason for his recent fad for slippers).

Anyway, this here video is fekking awesome, and combines the soundtrack to Red Alert, with footage of a North Korean parade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6PxkeOIMA8).
Cracking combination.

BigRedRod
19th of September, 2007, 04:54
Recent fad? I've not worn laces outside of a bowling alley since we were at school.

And they are a tool of the devil.

The Alcotroll
19th of September, 2007, 06:35
Shut up and post in NS, or I'll post you some laces.

BigRedRod
19th of September, 2007, 07:12
You're up, not me.

zachol
19th of September, 2007, 11:14
Ah yes, shoelaces. I do not believe I've tied the ones on my current pair of shoes (converse) for a few months.

Benicus
19th of September, 2007, 12:41
What are you, communist?

A real bearded man takes his shoe lacing one at a time, and even doubles the knots on his laces!

Aavarius
19th of September, 2007, 16:24
I have virtually permanent tan lines on my feet from refusing to wear anything but sandals all year. Who in their right mind would want to give that up for a thing like shoelaces?

zachol
19th of September, 2007, 16:26
My feet are not attractive enough for sandals.

And it just looks strange to have sandals with wool socks.

Aavarius
19th of September, 2007, 16:33
:O He said the "S" word! They're such a horrid thing to shod your feet in.

zachol
19th of September, 2007, 16:55
But they're so cozy! They make me happy!

Aavarius
19th of September, 2007, 17:04
Bah!

The Alcotroll
19th of September, 2007, 23:52
Arr, me hearties! The Times think we should all talk like pirates, or something. (http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article2467677.ece)

Yes, I really do have nothing better to do.

Except post in my games of course, but there's standards to uphold...

BrianL03
20th of September, 2007, 05:56
Yar and stuff.

Question for the lot of you.

Anyone have a recommendation for health care coverage for an Illinois early 20s male in good health, non-smoker, just looking for basic coverage (dental, physicals, hopefully eyecare) and emergency care? I have no idea how to go about this, and am pretty lost about health care "premiums", "copayments", some amount I have to pay before I start receiving benefits, and the like.

SinbadEV
20th of September, 2007, 06:21
I wear shoes with Velcro fasteners. It's getting hard to find them in size 11 though.

omni-roach
20th of September, 2007, 08:46
Anyone have a recommendation for health care coverage for an Illinois early 20s male in good health, non-smoker, just looking for basic coverage (dental, physicals, hopefully eyecare) and emergency care? I have no idea how to go about this, and am pretty lost about health care "premiums", "copayments", some amount I have to pay before I start receiving benefits, and the like.

Sorry Brian, but seen as I'm a Utah kid not even out of high school (and living in his parent's basement to boot :P) I wouldn't have any idea as to what to suggest.

Benicus
20th of September, 2007, 08:50
Medicade. Get poor, get the best! :)

Aavarius
20th of September, 2007, 15:05
More pirates...and linguistic humor to boot!
http://www.loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/49/How+to+Talk+like+a+Pirate

omni-roach
21st of September, 2007, 08:42
It's an... okay video. I didn't find it funny at all, though. I'll be sure to remember it next september 19th, however.

zachol
21st of September, 2007, 12:56
Oh my god.

The Canadian dollar is on par with the American dollar. (http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hSPjtwINMoyVzOzvF2ivVPJMdsww)

The end times are nigh.

Gnarsh
21st of September, 2007, 15:48
I knew it was coming. Those mother canuckers tricked me last summer, when I went to Niagara Falls with some friends. We're spending money willy-nilly, until finally someone mentions there was only a 3% difference. That was a way too expensive hotel room. And casino trip. And pitchers of beer.

SinbadEV
21st of September, 2007, 22:07
I live in a country with an economy that's stronger then that of the USA... oh noes my outsourced job is at risk!

Aavarius
22nd of September, 2007, 00:52
It's an... okay video. I didn't find it funny at all, though. I'll be sure to remember it next september 19th, however.

I don't suppose everyone is into linguistics.